What did you do in the garden today?

I love that weddings are trending towards the more natural, and laid back and smaller side. That is a beautiful ceremony Karen.

Will feel like 108 here tomorrow, and not the dry kind. Right now we have zero visibility fog. I think low fruit set on the tomatoes is too high nitrogen. I seem to vaguely remember this from the last time I broke down and used the blue juice. Now I am back to the pink. I couldn't find it here this spring and had to order it, but didn't want to waste the blue. LOL. That'll teach me.

Still TONS of flowers out there, and plenty of time.

Candy onions, grapes and horseradish still going gang busters.

Good afternoon gardeners. I’m so glad I gave the garden a good drink the other day because we got very little yesterday. I finally got the weed whacking and yanking finished in the front yard.Still need to sweep and water it after lunch. Tomorrow I’m planning on pruning the tomato plants a bit then watering the big garden again. I ordered 4 tons of pellets for the coming season myself @Sueby. I went through 3 1/2 tons last year. My furnace is mostly for hot water so it helps keep the oil bill down. Congratulations on your DD’s wedding @karenerwin. Her dress was lovely and very classy looking. I’m glad it all went well. Alright, I think I stopped sweating so it’s time for lunch now.

Last edited:
I'm right along with most of you. Watered the garden around 6 am this morning. It was supposed to rain all weekend and we haven't seen a drop. In fact, we haven't seen any significant rain in about 5 weeks? Maybe 6... There's been a few sprinkles on a day or two but not even enough to wet the ground. Supposed to rain next weekend too....bet it doesn't. I predicted last winter that we'd have a drought this summer.

I did get a good harvest today. Picked about a dozen cherry tomatoes and 3 Prairie Fire tomatoes. :yesss: I also pulled 3 zucchini, about 8 or 9 cukes, half dozen sweet corn, and a handful of broccolini and green beans. I think maybe this evening when it cools down a bit, I may trim back some of the red potato foliage and prepare to harvest it. Most of it is dead already and I would have pulled it but there's new sprouts coming off some of the nodes so I waited... I think I'm going to stop watering them and let them hardened up a bit. Can't imagine it will take 2 full weeks in this hot and dry weather....

My problem zucchini (the one that's yellowing badly) has put off lots of new green leaves since I pulled back the cardboard to allow the new roots to anchor. I think getting more water is helping too... I'm also wondering if whatever critter is/was eating my carrots is maybe feasting on the zucchini roots and that's why it is turning yellow? Or maybe it's the water/cardboard issue. I don't know... Just have to watch and see.

Last edited:
YES!! Its been a long wait

Maybe eight - nine months since such a crazy thing has happened!

We got 7 eggs today!
(As compared to max 5 eggs, usually fewer for the last 9 months)
Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 1.54.24 PM.png

The rooster, Thorin Oakenshield, is just on the other side of the window - he likes to be around when the girls are going to the nest boxes. He has his work cut out for him though, as 18 new layers should be coming into (or have only just come into) lay.

YES!! Its been a long wait

Maybe eight - nine months since such a crazy thing has happened!

We got 7 eggs today!
(As compared to max 5 eggs, usually fewer for the last 9 months)
View attachment 3172864

The rooster, Thorin Oakenshield, is just on the other side of the window - he likes to be around when the girls are going to the nest boxes. He has his work cut out for him though, as 18 new layers should be coming into (or have only just come into) lay.
Love your roosters name!

All my outdoor plants seem to be doing well. The early transparent apple tree got munched on by some bugs or another but I think I got that under control. My irises, daylilies, and roses haven't bloomed very well this year :/ too hot. I picked up some late additions from someone who had too many plants for her garden--two butternut squash and two howden pumpkin plants. The only chicken-safe place I had to put them is in my side yard...so I guess if they grow over into the neighbor's yard they can have whatever squash or pumpkins end up growing on their side of the property line :p. One of the squash plants died though, the base of the stem got damaged. But the rest seem to be doing pretty well, they all have flowers! I haven't done well with gourds in the past so we'll see what happens.

Now to figure out a rabbit-proof fence to protect the crop later...

I moved my guzmania to my bathroom so it'll get the humidity. Also picked up a second guzmania from the clearance rack at Lowe's because I felt bad for it being so terribly overwatered (also it's purple, that's my favorite color). So far it's still hanging in there. I have decided I like bromeliads and I have to fight to keep myself off of bromeliad nursery websites.

I have also become home to five succulent leaves of various varieties that I'm trying to grow out. Two of them have taken off, the other three are still deciding whether or not they want to grow. I am unfamiliar with succulents so this is a new thing for me.

Pretty psyched about the pumpkins though. Really hoping to get some come the fall! Dying to try making my own home-grown pumpkin bread, and also roast pumpkin seeds.

Back
Top Bottom