What did you do in the garden today?

@TJAnonymous - yellow older leaves are ok! Squash should continue to grow.

@Gammas Bearded Babies cucumber recipes: a recent purchase “The Practical Produce Cookbook” (compiled by Ray and Elise Hoover and Family) purchased from a small health food store in Ohio has varied recipes for all kinds of vegetables. For cucumbers it lists the usual pickles of varying kinds (including freezer pickles), but also stir-fried cucumbers (recipe is just a sauté with a few other garden veg in a bit of oil), cucumber sandwiches, molded cucumber salad, cucumbers in sour cream, cucumber and tomato salad, cucumber soup (includes beaten eggs), or creamy cucumber soup (uses buttermilk and sour cream). Overall, salt, pepper, onion and dill are featured seasonings for cucumber.

I searched cucumber recipe on byc as well as downloaded the indexes from the home baker thread but nothing specific to cucumbers shows up.
Of course that's the only thing I have coming in rather fast lol!
Can yall point me to a thread or recipe for em besides the salads and pickles we all do?
What about making up some cucumber water?

A nice cold pitcher of water with fresh mint, cucumbers, and tangerine slices?

@TJAnonymous - yellow older leaves are ok! Squash should continue to grow.

@Gammas Bearded Babies cucumber recipes: a recent purchase “The Practical Produce Cookbook” (compiled by Ray and Elise Hoover and Family) purchased from a small health food store in Ohio has varied recipes for all kinds of vegetables. For cucumbers it lists the usual pickles of varying kinds (including freezer pickles), but also stir-fried cucumbers (recipe is just a sauté with a few other garden veg in a bit of oil), cucumber sandwiches, molded cucumber salad, cucumbers in sour cream, cucumber and tomato salad, cucumber soup (includes beaten eggs), or creamy cucumber soup (uses buttermilk and sour cream). Overall, salt, pepper, onion and dill are featured seasonings for cucumber.
Awesome fanx!

Now u got my mouth waterin!
Question do yall put your harvest into fridge or leave out on counter?
Not just cucumbers...any of it
It depends... I put my green beans in an open ziploc bag in the fridge. I put tomatoes and berries in the fridge too.

I keep zucchini and cukes in a metal basket on the counter. If I'm not going to use them within a few weeks, I will chop them up and freeze.

I pull leaf lettuce in the morning and keep it in a jar of water on the counter for a day or two.

Onions are kept in a metal basket in a cool, dark place away from other veggies.

Potatoes (when I pull them) will be kept in the potato drawer in the kitchen.

Herbs and flowers are dried and kept in small canning jars.

Oh & green beans go in the fridge or they wilt - or I blanch & freeze. Tomatoes go on the counter, I hate refrigerated maters. Lettuce gets washed immediately, spun & goes in a ziplock with a paper towel in the fridge. Squash stays on the counter if using if quickly, if not it goes in the fridge or I shred it & freeze it for squash breads. Peppers go in the fridge if not used quickly. Herbs I cut as needed, but Sarah is right, in a cup with water & it'll last a few days, or even in the fridge in a cup of water.

Happy 8th Birthday (Hatchday) to my Merriweather!
Screenshot 2022-07-04 13.04.54.png

Back
Top Bottom