What did you do in the garden today?

Just in from deep watering the garden. This is the time of year I try to only water every other day. Heading for yet another sunny, humid, 99 degree day. Yesterday it felt like 110 and we woke up to zero visibility fog.
I snapped a few pictures, and pollinated the tomato plants. I have about 7 plants that are not bouncing back well from the hail. They don't look great, so I may cut them off at the ground so their weakness doesn't attract disease or pests.
Something is chewing on my horseradish! I didn't think ANYTHING ate HR leaves. Found a cluster of white, oval eggs on one leaf stem, so I cut it off and tossed it in the lawn. (Confirmed, it IS cabbage moths.)
White cabbage moths are flitting around. It could be them.
So more frass on the tomatoes, so for now no nibblers on the tomatoes. I have a robin nest nearby, and I KNOW they've been in the garden hot and heavy digging bugs, maybe they helped themselves to a couple of the green demons.
Have a super day all.
Screenshot 2022-07-05 08.25.10.png
Screenshot 2022-07-05 08.25.51.png

Last edited:
It’s raining again!! Yay!

Bug report:
1. The yellow bowls are working better than expected!! Yellow dollar store bowls, and white ones spray painted gloss yellow. Fill with soapy water.

2. The yellow sticky-on-both-sides cards I got off Amazon are also working very well. I’ve been using the green sticks and placing them at plant level. They also come with ties to hang. These cards are about 3x5 or 4x6.

3. The JB traps: using a “Natural” one bc the main brand was out. And using one Spectracide one. Both are lure types with bag underneath. Spectracide is working better, but both doing a decent job, and location might be playing a role. None are near each other. But all these traps have caught ALOT.

4. Netting. Well, it excludes flying insects pretty well. Still get insects inside as the edges are just weighed down. But primary purpose is to exclude SVB and Cabbage loopers.

5. Wheat germ laced with Sevin. Grasshoppers love wheat germ apparently. So, I read about using it with carbaryl (Sevin powder). I’d say it seems to work. I’ve only been using it where I see grasshoppers -still small right now. Can only use when dry. But, grasshoppers haven’t been around as much as in the past. Ask me in August.

6. Praying Mantis. We see these girls around. Yay for bugs eating bugs!! Another reason I try to sparingly use pesticides, as I do t want to kill any praying mantis or bees if I can help it.

7. Parasitic wasps. No evidence of them yet, but we haven’t seen hornworms either. Hoping they are doing their good deeds (the parasitic wasps, that is) somewhere nearby.

Good morning gardeners. I side dressed everything in the big garden with compost this morning. I pulled a few onions that were laying down, small but healthy looking. Then I dug around in the potato patch where one of the plants turned yellow and died. I found some nicely formed marble sized potatoes. The dirt was barely moist so I’ll wait to see how much rain we get overnight then water them tomorrow. Laundry is finished. I finished vacuuming then mopped the floors. I may try to mow the backyard later. Time for lunch now.

I didn't water this morning because I had the grandbaby and didn't want to leave her in the house alone. I will have to cross my fingers and hope everything makes it through the heat today. I will water this evening (although not ideal) after DH gets home and he can watch the baby. It's weeks like this when I really wish I had a soaker system that I could just turn on and forget it...

Going to dehydrate some cucumber chips today...

Would chicken wire keep coons n ground hogs outta flowers n stuff?
I can maneuver it much better than I can the hardware cloth.
:idunno I would imagine it will keep them out of my garden - out of the chicken run, probably not. They have never been in the garden before & all I have is plastic 7 foot deer netting.

Hi everyone! I pulled the last of my peas. Even though there will still some flowers I needed to get to the new bean planting. Put in 4 types of bush beans in their place, and pulled every pea I missed before adding the pulled plants to thr compost. (Question…do chickens like/eat whole pea plants or leaves? Still time to retrieve them if so…)

Tied up and pruned tomato suckers AGAIN. I swear I’ve had to do it every other day! 😂 Yet still all green…Theyve been green for FOREVER. A bunch of male flowers on my squash except for the two females I saw 2 days ago and attempted to hand pollinate with the single male flower. Now I have about 6 male flowers. Go figure! I won’t uncover them, was at thr neighbors and saw a big SVB flying around their zucchini’s. Going to keep mine protected a bit longer.

Thinking one more week on my garlic. This afternoon since it started drizzling I’ll indoor seed some kale, collard, & rutabaga to plant where the garlic is once that comes out.

One group of pole beans has reached the top of the 6 ft tepee poles so I had to loop string to the other tepee so they will make a nice archway! Cucumbers are about 5 inches off the ground, they seem to be taking forever!

Last but not least, harvested enough Swiss chard for dinner. I like to sauté onion & peppers in olive oil, add the chard & a can of beans, and top with some cayenne & paprika!

Hope everyone is doing well!

7. Parasitic wasps. No evidence of them yet, but we haven’t seen hornworms either. Hoping they are doing their good deeds (the parasitic wasps, that is) somewhere nearby.
The "problem" I see with parasitic wasps is that while they keep the caterpillar from becoming a source for future caterpillars, they have already decimated the plants before they die.

Back
Top Bottom