What did you do in the garden today?

That little &^#%$@* just sits there & tortures my poor boy. :lau

IMG_20220707_102003102_HDR.jpg

The track shifted last night 100 miles, like one of our winter storms. .07 instead of 1.5 inches. Now it's so humid it's foggy and there's no air in the air. Miserable.
======
Decided to mow the pasture last night right before bed. The grasses down there were about at 14 inches tall. I didn't think they'd make it to Monday mowing if we did get the rains. OMG I have NEVER seen so many baby grasshoppers in my life! If even a half of those make it to adulthood, we'll be looking a a plague. I wonder how other ranches are fairing?
I'd make a pass with the big mower it would kick up a cloud of them and I'd be covered in them, about 1/3 of an inch long, and they BITE!
I'm rooting for the barn swallows.
If the hens had it in their minds to walk down that far, I'd have to bring them up at night in the gator for them being so fat. :lau

Wish we were neighbors... 🤣
Come on by. I hope you like potatoes too. This is from the first 15 ft of the 100 row-feet of potatoes I planted, all Adirondack Blue so far (and this is only 2/3 thirds of those). Their tops have completely died down so I'm starting with them. The other 5 varieties' tops are dying back and will follow shortly. I grabbed another cantaloupe while I was out there because it was nearby and staring me in the face. I'll go back and get the other 4 or 5 that I know are ready later this evening.

20220707_073415.jpg

Good morning all! Last night DH and I scrambled and made temporary bucket nests for the ladies. We turned the coop over a bit so now we can reach under it easier, too. One of the hens is laying! They've been hiding the eggs under some composting cardboard scraps and last night we buried ten little pullet eggs in an empty garden bed. Lol. It's waaay too hot to risk doing anything else with the eggs.

I've got one okra pod out there that's about 3-4 inches that I need to harvest, but nothing else coming out of my garden right now.

Hoses are very frustrating. We buy expensive ones hoping they'll last, but we're lucky to get a year or 2 out of them. & we drain & winterize them faithfully, they don't freeze. It's annoying.

ETA: Dh ended up burying pex to the garden, so that's one less hose to break.
I could probably make a mortgage payment with what I've spent on hoses the past 5 years... 🙄 We also winterize but it doesn't get nearly as cold here. Definitely annoying. Can't wait to replace all of them

Come on by. I hope you like potatoes too. This is from the first 15 ft of the 100 row-feet of potatoes I planted, all Adirondack Blue so far (and this is only 2/3 thirds of those). Their tops have completely died down so I'm starting with them. The other 5 varieties' tops are dying back and will follow shortly. I grabbed another cantaloupe while I was out there because it was nearby and staring me in the face. I'll go back and get the other 4 or 5 that I know are ready later this evening.

View attachment 3176927
Very nice! DFW is only 5 hrs away and I have to drive to Shreveport this weekend anyway.... 🤣

I got to pick a whole 5 tomatoes this morning... Yay me! 😂 Still waiting for another cukes to ripen so I can make a jug of water with it. Some raspberries getting ripe too. Maybe some green beans I can harvest this evening. Not much else going on right now....

Just MISERABLE HOT....

ToMjGppLes0ENI5osCc.gif

I could probably make a mortgage payment with what I've spent on hoses the past 5 years... 🙄 We also winterize but it doesn't get nearly as cold here. Definitely annoying. Can't wait to replace all of them
We have a frost free pump at the barn. From this, we run a hose to the back where we have a homemade stand with a 4-way connection. The frost free pump has a 2-way connection, so one is for the hose to the back, the other is for a hose to use in the front of the barn.

Currently, 2 hoses are connected at the back. One is usually connected to a sprinkler, or soaker hose. The other is for handheld watering or cleaning, filling waterers. All have quick connects on them. We only have 4 soaker hoses (50ft each) out. We run them as sets of two. We have found that they run better if we use a 2-way connection and run one soaker hose off each connection.

We are on year 3 of our heavy duty Red hoses. They are 3/4” I think. Can’t remember where we bought them, but I think at a farm store. They are kinda heavy, but very durable.

For our garden, we pull the hose one way or another, and it can be a problem of the hose going over a bed. So we strategically place 4’ posts at corners of beds where needed to keep the hose from damaging plants.

Our 100ft craftsman hose is on year five, survived three winters and several freezes with water in it in Colorado (oops), and is still working awesome. Rarely kinks, has never burst, and only our quick connects ever leak because they've managed to loosen. But that sonofagun is heavy. You get your workout dragging it around to water the front and back gardens.

I'd like to set up two soaker hoses for next garden season, but I'm not sure when that's going to actually happen.

Pinched the flowers off the basil. I don't want it going to seed quite yet. It's early in the season still! Lol

Back
Top Bottom