What did you do in the garden today?

We got 14 pumpkins off of ONE PLANT! :eek:
D75_2039_00001.jpg

My husband called me from a garden shop once to see if I needed some seeds. I literally told him to pick 5. I didn't even care what they were. I apparently just like collecting seeds, lol! 😆 He came home with some fun ones I've never tried before though!
That sounds like a fun idea!
About to pick my second and third tomatoes. It's started.
I'm jealous, long time out for ripe tomatoes for me. Just zucs and cucumbers so far.
It RAINED last night. It was only .25 of an inch, but I'll TAKE IT.
I would too. We got maybe a tenth of an inch last night, just enough to wash off some dust.
I'll grab some Harvest brand lids and try them the next trip to town.
Keep us updated on alternate brands of lids please. I'll do the same.

Those of you that are canning now, do you have A/C? No way I’m canning in Upper NY when it’s been 90 and humid for a straight week…I’m dreading boiling water for sweet corn tonight.
No AC, but an 80 degree day is remarkable here. I'm making bread and butter pickles today in fact.
Correction, it's POURING!
I've envious!
I decided to sow some pumpkin (New England Sugar Pie) and carrots (Cosmic Purple) in a couple of 5 gallon buckets just for the heck of it.
I had to buy a couple of cans of pumpkin puree and it cost a crazy amount, so I've added a pumpkin to next years plans.
That’s no joke on the hives. I have them as a chronic condition and it sucks
You totally have my sympathies, that has got to be a royal pain to deal with.

Making my first batch of pickles today using my own cucumbers. It appears we'll have a pretty good crop of them too. :clap I got the blueberry bed cleaned up and started the currant/gooseberry bed but evidentially, gooseberries create runners, all of which have ferocious thorns. Went right through my gloves. :rantI'll have to invest in those eagle claw proof gloves to do the pruning I should have been doing all along.

I'm jealous, long time out for ripe tomatoes for me. Just zucs and cucumbers so far.

I would too. We got maybe a tenth of an inch last night, just enough to wash off some dust.

No AC, but an 80 degree day is remarkable here. I'm making bread and butter pickles today in fact.

I've envious!

I had to buy a couple of cans of pumpkin puree and it cost a crazy amount, so I've added a pumpkin to next years plans.

Making my first batch of pickles today using my own cucumbers. It appears we'll have a pretty good crop of them too. :clap I got the blueberry bed cleaned up and started the currant/gooseberry bed but evidentially, gooseberries create runners, all of which have ferocious thorns. Went right through my gloves. :rantI'll have to invest in those eagle claw proof gloves to do the pruning I should have been doing all along.
Thanks, it’s pretty under control with antihistamines. I switch around a bit and just found out Allegra works lol. And Ouch! Kevlar is your friend!

I've envious!

INstead of pumpkin, do cushaw or boston marrow squash, that's what is in those cans. The size of a well tended cushaw will stagger your brain! My last one was 3 feet long and 9 inches across at the top and 14 at the bottom, shaped like a schmoo. HUGE amount of fruit in that beastie.

I'm more than a week behind, not reading back through due to time constraints. We all had covid. Blegh. Over it now, but it was extremely not fun and I'm still rundown and tired.

My okra are producing again, so that's what I did today. Also, I have two asparagus fronds up now. Hubby planted three leek roots for kicks and giggles to see what would happen and they're sprouting new leaves.

I'm more than a week behind, not reading back through due to time constraints. We all had covid. Blegh. Over it now, but it was extremely not fun and I'm still rundown and tired.

My okra are producing again, so that's what I did today. Also, I have two asparagus fronds up now. Hubby planted three leek roots for kicks and giggles to see what would happen and they're sprouting new leaves.
Glad you’re on the mend! It took me a while to get my energy back it seemed. And now I’m hooked on pimiento stuffed olives and pickles for some weird reason.

I just went out and watered the sandy soil garden. The "rain" was about 1/8" all told. Sigh.

I'll be picking some more tomatoes tomorrow, and probably canning Thursday...? It would be really nice to be able to can a batch, wait a few day, can another batch. And maybe buy half a bushel/whole bushel later in the season to fill up the pantry.

Does anyone have any tricks for making peaches on the counter ripen faster?

Try indeterminate and use shade. They seem to go through a dormant period for fruit but will produce again when it cools off. We’re supposed to have a warm, dry winter so they might do ok if you plant again.

If you’re in the Phoenix area I highly recommend visiting the AZ Worm Farm. They give classes on gardening here and it’s a working farm. I’ve been on their tour and did one of the classes. I’m going back next Spring for the tomato class.
Planted an indeterminate and a determinate last week for fall. Started them inside end of June/early July.

I'm not getting them to survive the summer unless I bring them inside and inside I just don't have enough light to keep them fruiting well. They just start to produce good tomatoes and the heat or the cold kicks in and they die. I grew up in Washington and not sure if I need to adjust my harvest expectations (glorified kid memories?...nah...my dad's garden was AMAZING 😍) or if I'm missing a trick to get a longer harvest time.

I'm in Tucson. AZ worm farm sounds fun...I'll have to look and see what we have local.

Back
Top Bottom