What did you do in the garden today?

Drove to Meyer Hatchery today to pick up our order that we placed months ago. We also picked up some cheap chicks in the random chick bin. No idea what they are yet. Some are feathered legs - we were trying for Cochin with those. But, I'm sure we will get them all figured out eventually. Here are the mystery chicks:
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.12.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.12.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.12.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.12.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.13.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.13.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.13.34 PM.png

Well my trips to Lowe's and Home Depot over the last week have taught me that the hardware stores are winding down their plants for the season. It drizzled on the way into town this morning. First time in a long time I've had to use my windshield wipers.

Rain in the forecast, about 30 minutes from now, and yes I did the rain dance this morning. I should go rinse my car off just as my way of shaking my butt at the sky going na-na-na-nah-naner. No high winds on base velocity maps so I don't have to madly scramble and batten down the hatches, but I'll still bring the awning in an do a quick visual confirmation.

About my neck, I've got a high pain tolerance and avoid pain medications if at all possible. (Have two kids, both unmedicated births) But I am definitely grateful for the concern anyway. I just have to mind my posture and not turn too quickly at the moment. Trying to give it a week or two of babying and see if it wants to heal on its own before going to see a chiro.

Right, time to get out there and look at stuff. Also have a handful of okra I need to pick and a seed pod I plan to save that I'm going to stick a ziploc over the top of to catch any that pop out, and also keep it nice and dry. Fingers crossed for a nice, slow, soaking, gentle rain. (The ground is so dry and hard if it rains cats and dogs it'll all just flash flood)

https://rightpet.com/breed-species/livestock-poultry/chickens/dutch-owlbeard-chicken
One of many sites with information on the breed. I would love to know if the roosters get “aggressive” with humans, or if that description is misleading.
@TJAnonymous did GFF mention temperament during breeding season?
I don't recall.... I've never ordered from GFF but I watch their site often because I'd like to. I feel like rooster aggression is a rather complicated formula where breeding is only one (albeit weighted) variable in the outcome.

Drove to Meyer Hatchery today to pick up our order that we placed months ago. We also picked up some cheap chicks in the random chick bin. No idea what they are yet. Some are feathered legs - we were trying for Cochin with those. But, I'm sure we will get them all figured out eventually. Here are the mystery chicks:View attachment 3225237View attachment 3225239View attachment 3225240View attachment 3225242View attachment 3225243View attachment 3225245View attachment 3225246
My husband is probably REALLY thankful that we don't live within driving distance to any hatcheries...... 😂 I really don't know how you resist this cuteness......

Back
Top Bottom