What did you do in the garden today?

Rain was a bust, we got about a tenth of an inch. Didn't even wet the ground. Oh well. I think it hasn't rained since the end of June.

Here are the 4 packets. All Burpee - mostly bc these were looking like they might make it best. But, I do have a few other options that I might try next year. To my knowledge, this is the first time I've used any "does not need pollination" cucumbers. The two that did not need pollination are: "Sweet Success" hybrid - I really liked this one raw! and the "Merlin Hybrid" only has female flowers and does not require pollination.

The supremo Hybrid was the best little pickling cucumber Ive grown. But, not enough produced to pickle.

Interestingly, ALL 4 varieties had one or two plants that died from wilt fairly early....weird, bc the rest grew fine and produced.

We might grow under netting too - those #$%!* cucumber beetles are just irritating.
View attachment 3226065
Thank you! Noted! I had no idea there was any such things. Def going to try next year.

I pulled a bunch of tomatoes & will let them ripen inside. Then I'm making the tomato soup!

I'm going to braid some garlic tomorrow. I swear it. I WILL do it. Tomorrow. 🤥

Might get some rain
105550C7-5820-45E6-AA63-E655B0E17444.jpeg

All 7 quarts of tomatoes sealed! :clap 20 out of 21 have sealed so far.

The first batch of potatoes are cleaned and stored in a box in the basement. Lots more to go, but they can wait in the ground until I have time to dig them and space for them to dry so I can get the dirt off.

By the way, exfoliating gloves work very well for getting the dirt off root vegetables. I have a pair under the kitchen sink just for that purpose.

So I kind of neglected the garden yesterday and this morning, to catch up on other things…

Went out at dinner to pull the bottom dying cabbage leaves for the chickens, and I had 2 zucchini and a huge cucumber, with more zucchini & about 7 cucumbers probably big enough to pick tomorrow! I don’t know where they all came from…I was going to pull the zucchini & squash but decided to wait til the weekend when DH is off & can help me. My Latino zucchini plant has 3 huge sawdust holes from a borer that must’ve gotten in, but it still had a large zucchini and a half grown one that look unaffected. I swear that is the best zucchini to grow, it was the only one the SVB didn’t completely kill last year! So I’ll harvest what I can before Sat/Sun…maybe I’ll get enough to freeze! 😊

Also, I have 3 gallon ziploc bags of tomatoes in thr freezer. How many do you think I need before I can can 6-8 quarts of sauce?

Thanks everyone, glad to hear things are going pretty good and rain is falling in places it hasn’t!

So I kind of neglected the garden yesterday and this morning, to catch up on other things…

Went out at dinner to pull the bottom dying cabbage leaves for the chickens, and I had 2 zucchini and a huge cucumber, with more zucchini & about 7 cucumbers probably big enough to pick tomorrow! I don’t know where they all came from…I was going to pull the zucchini & squash but decided to wait til the weekend when DH is off & can help me. My Latino zucchini plant has 3 huge sawdust holes from a borer that must’ve gotten in, but it still had a large zucchini and a half grown one that look unaffected. I swear that is the best zucchini to grow, it was the only one the SVB didn’t completely kill last year! So I’ll harvest what I can before Sat/Sun…maybe I’ll get enough to freeze! 😊

Also, I have 3 gallon ziploc bags of tomatoes in thr freezer. How many do you think I need before I can can 6-8 quarts of sauce?

Thanks everyone, glad to hear things are going pretty good and rain is falling in places it
Gardening is like watching a pot come to a boil. Stare at it and nothing happens. Leave it alone and it’s suddenly active.

I used outdated and weather damaged bags which expanded to replant part of my alfalfa field......so......might be brand dependent.

That would make sense or I just got really lucky? I've seen other people use the same one I have and they didn't have issues either so it's good to know if I need to specify to use this brand only, lol. It was Stanley or something? I'll go look.

This one
5121762.jpeg

Today I made a batch of corn & cherry tomato salsa. Now I’m working on making Mango Jalapeño Pepper jelly.
In the garden, I finally got my 1st zucchini of the season.
I’m still battling the squash bugs. I’m not seeing very many adults , the juveniles I’m seeing are getting squished. I thought I was almost finished seeing eggs but now I’m seeing them on the leaves of a tomato plant 😳 that is near the zucchini. Sneaky bugs. 😡

Back
Top Bottom