What did you do in the garden today?

OMG, what the HELL is wrong with her !!!
Stupid chicken CRAWLED, YES, it HAD to be CRAWL, the thing is too short to get in otherwise.

Crawled into my have a hart possum trap, crawled all the way to the back to step on the tray and set it off and lock herself in?

There was NOTHING IN the trap. NOTHING. I caught the stupid rodent a week ago and was just leaving the trap there just in case.

WHO goes into an empty trap?
Who CRAWLS into an empty trap?
WHY girl WHY ???

The have a hart are the ones that are harmless to the things they catch, they are the catch and release ones that won't injure.

Aaron

I did NOT expect this cold snap this soon. I have low hopes for my sweet potatoes now. I will leave the alone, but :hit I got three varieties and only one seems to be thriving. Well, before this cold snap anyway. I will dig out my garden bed sized greenhouse to put over the one in the back. I think something is eating the leaves anyway. This will kill two birds with one stone 🤞🤞. The third one ended up in a recycled recycling bin protected by some overgrown weed next to it. I went to get rid of it but realized its providing shelter and left it 😂.
Apparently Rose of Sharon is a spreader? I have it showing up on the other side of my driveway. Its definitely the same thing as it flowered.

I hope to finish harvesting what needs to be harvested today. I think the potatoes will be fine until I can get to them on Monday, it will give the potatoes time to register that the vines are dead (right?). Of COURSE the frost would hit when I am extremely busy for 3 days. I was lucky to have a bit of time to harvest the tomatoes yesterday. Today, I just need to harvest the pumpkins and butternut squashes. I will leave the corn because I'm letting it dry out, so, the frost shouldn't have done too much damage, right?
Your potatoes are fine. Underground they're insulated.

I’m so sad that I missed a conversation about coffee. :hit I am about to drink a pot of freshly ground Starbucks. The aroma is heavenly.
I think it mostly all smells burned, like old cigarettes, floating in the scum of an abandoned diner cup.
DS has his coffee roasted locally, just down the road from where we live. They roast daily, but his variety once a week. They deliver the day of/or after roasting - air roasted, and he drip funnel brews it. The difference between that and SB is a whole other level.

Too windy and pollen laden to work in the garden/hoophouse today. I'd have shattered plastic going everywhere.

What a mess. The sweet potatoes still need dug, so maybe that is next.

I did NOT expect this cold snap this soon. I have low hopes for my sweet potatoes now. I will leave the alone, but :hit I got three varieties and only one seems to be thriving. Well, before this cold snap anyway. I will dig out my garden bed sized greenhouse to put over the one in the back. I think something is eating the leaves anyway. This will kill two birds with one stone 🤞🤞. The third one ended up in a recycled recycling bin protected by some overgrown weed next to it. I went to get rid of it but realized its providing shelter and left it 😂.
Apparently Rose of Sharon is a spreader? I have it showing up on the other side of my driveway. Its definitely the same thing as it flowered.
Did you use any black plastic to heat the soil around the sweet potatoes?

We used it for most, but there are 7 of them that are not under plastic, and they definitely took longer to grow and vine out. Plus no evidence of sweet potato growth …but we will have to dig to be sure.

The ones under black plastic seemed to have done well. We dug up one bed already, waiting to dig the rest. They seem to be looking ok after the recent cold night- we had frost on elevated items (a table we left out, the shingle roof of the stand alone coop).

So, assuming we grow them next year, we will use black plastic. Including pre-warming the soil (which we did this year). We will give them a little more space between plants. We will put in all-day full sun just like this year.

Ditto on the cold. I really thought it would take another six or eight weeks before it dropped like this.
My ROS died young along with a young Mock Orange and an old rose bush. They were nearby each other, and it was winter. I’m guessing my husband got them with ice treatment. :confused: Anyway… I think I’ll look into another Rose of Sharon. I have a good place for a spreader.

Cool and possible rain off and on here. Grey day. Good day to do something inside, I suppose, but I have next to no ambition!

IMO, Starbucks does one great service to the gardening public. They save used coffee grounds for gardeners. I have picked up BAGS of grounds all summer. Some stores will stop the end of this month, but the store that is my "honey hole" for grounds said they will do it all year round. It sure is a win-win for them. They get rid of their used grounds (messy in the trash) and the bags that the coffee comes in.

Earthworms like coffee grounds. I add some to my worm hotels.

I've been adding grounds to my blueberries for a long time. The soil where I planted them is basically sand that I tried to make more hospitable. By the blueberries, it's dark, nice looking soil. Outside the patch, it's honey colored sand.

Back
Top Bottom