What did you do in the garden today?

As it is national coffee day...
I thought I'd post this. It is from a local newspaper during the Civil War as how to substitute, or stretch, your supply (or lack of) coffee beans.

""Okra or Gumbo.-This makes the best coffee of any article that I have ever used as a substitute for coffee. The seed should be browned the same as coffee and makes a very palatable drink alone but is a little better if a little coffee is used with it. The plant is very productive and is easily grown. An ounce of the seed will produce enough for almost any family. The seed can be procured of any seedsman for 25 to 30 cents per ounce.""

So you are telling me I can roast and drink okra seeds like coffee?

Im going to put this to my group and see what they think ! should spark an interesting convo amongst the purists :D :D Price is actually pretty expensive tho for what I can get some VERY GOOD coffee's for when purchased in bulk.

Aaron
Well, I"M not saying it.
If it's NOT coffee bean, it's not coffee.
If it's dried bits of other things and hot water it's tea. LOL
If it's a bit of both, it's a blend, but it's NOT coffee IMHO.

If it's from orka, imho, it's slug water.

There is only one independent tin lid maker in the US and two reusable PV plastic lid companies in the US.
The ball lids are the ones I had such a huge problem with - those lids were bought last winter and early this spring. I used mine in the pressure canner, so while the canner is coming up to heat and venting for 10 minutes the lids are being preheated then.
I had less problems with the 'lower qaulity'kerr lids, and even LESS problems with their 'lowest line' of golden harvest. :confused:
Yep, their newer lids in the green box. He bought them during COVID when lids weren't very available so he bought a case of them when he found them. I wonder what the lids I bought were, there is no name on them but they said made in the USA (who knows if that's actually true). They are much thicker than Ball, gold & don't have a little dink in the middle, just about the whole lid sucks in they DONK when they seal instead of tink! LOL

I was born and raised in an earthquake town. I totally ignore it.

btw, I got my next year's seeds. millet, amaranth and quinoa are new to me. :fl
I love amaranth ❤️. I want to try the seeds next year...I've always saved them but haven't tried eating them before. Are you growing it for the seeds, greens or both?
As it is national coffee day...
I thought I'd post this. It is from a local newspaper during the Civil War as how to substitute, or stretch, your supply (or lack of) coffee beans.

""Okra or Gumbo.-This makes the best coffee of any article that I have ever used as a substitute for coffee. The seed should be browned the same as coffee and makes a very palatable drink alone but is a little better if a little coffee is used with it. The plant is very productive and is easily grown. An ounce of the seed will produce enough for almost any family. The seed can be procured of any seedsman for 25 to 30 cents per ounce.""
I love chicory coffee...not so sure I'd enjoy okra coffee :eek::sick

I love amaranth ❤️. I want to try the seeds next year...I've always saved them but haven't tried eating them before. Are you growing it for the seeds, greens or both?

I love chicory coffee...not so sure I'd enjoy okra coffee :eek::sick
I bought Amaranth seeds but never got around to planting them. I need to make sure I do it next spring! I bought it to create a supplemental feed plot with oats, millet, spring wheat, and more....

Back
Top Bottom