What did you do in the garden today?

Ugh. We are having an ice storm this evening. It's only been sleeting for an hour and everything already has a major coating of ice. We'll easily have over a half inch of ice by morning... And more (the worst part) on the way for tomorrow night.

I'm praying to God the nets over my chicken/goat yard hold up. :fl The ice storm last year snapped half the support poles across the entire yard. We replaced them with heavier duty wood posts so if the ice puts major weight on the netting it will likely tear the net rather than snap the wood. Of course I don't want the animals to get caught up in the nets either.... Very worried about it.
Ice is just awful! I just saw your area on the weather, looks like a long duration event. I hope all your netting holds!
You're welcome to it. I'm sick of it. I'm tired of bulky clothes, frozen fingers and toes, and hauling water and breaking ice.
But, but, but…I don’t want it! Its snowing now, juuust enough so I can’t leave the house again. 🤬

Getting Ready for Plant Sale ...update...
This morning I finally got 80% of my seeds sorted by "start X weeks before last frost". Just in time since I need to start the longer lead time seeds very soon.

Tomorrow I'll make a schedule of them to keep myself (or anyone who may want to help) on track.

Last edited:
Made it through first half of the ice storm and so far nets are holding... Second wave of ice is just starting and will continue through tonight into tomorrow morning.

20230131_082442.jpg

Made it through first half of the ice storm and so far nets are holding... Second wave of ice is just starting and will continue through tonight into tomorrow morning.

View attachment 3391731
When my aviary nets or chicken wire covered runs get heavy with snow I go thru with a broom or similar to barely touch it underneath (safety hat & goggles on) to let the snow release from it. Maybe with ice do it in the "sunniest" or "hottest" part of the day so better chance to get it to come off.

For the record...I really hate these nets. What I really want to do is tear them out and put scissor trusses on top of 4x4 posts. Then just run welded wire across the top. This would allow leaves, small sticks, etc to fall through the wire while keep hawks & critters out. Welded wire is FAR sturdier than the netting and lasts longer. I wanted to do this last year but the price of lumber was waaaaay too high. It's come down some so I'm hoping I can swing it this coming year if the stars align. :fl

Back
Top Bottom