What did you do in the garden today?

Currently 10 degrees with wind knocking it down to -3. UGH.
Barn was full of twitterpated little songbirds this morning, flitting around and looking at old nests in the rafters.
I are dinner outside yesterday in CA and headed home to IL today where it's freezing. This glimpse of lush greenery was nice while it lasted. Now to go home and wait for Spring...

Well, after two days below freezing, when I tried to fill up the water bucket for the chickens this morning the RV water inlet flange snapped off completely. No water in the RV. Then I smacked the top of my head really hard when I opened up the water lines under the RV to finish draining them out so they don't freeze up. Got a nice goose egg forming.

Frost on the garden plants that have survived thus far. Think they'll be all right, but we'll see what the warm up brings.

Did manage to feed and water birds despite the setback in my plans. Hubby is going to pick up a replacement flange and try to fix it tonight. We'll see what happens.

Does watching your husband mow count as doing something in the garden? it's summer here and the grass is the only thing growing.
I do plan on prepping beds soon for an autumn (fall) and winter garden
Yes! Yes it does! The question is what did you do, you watched :highfive: Lol

I like your set up -- I don't have that much space but I have aspirations for more land in the future!! And see your ducks are outside despite the ice! I've come tot he conclusion that ducks all have mothers and grandmothers that think they should be outside in the fresh air no matter the weather. We had a neighbor who thought that when our son was a wee babe. Her children were put outside in the buggy for an hour every day. Mother ducks are the same and they pass it on from generation to generation!
I'm convinced my ducks are clueless when it comes to weather... 😂 They don't care whether it's raining, snowing, or the middle of an ice storm...they sit outside in the open air. In addition to their coop, they have a walk-in shed (to keep their food bowls out of the weather) and a repurposed child's playhouse which would give them place to get out of the wind and weather. They don't use any of them... 🙄

My chickens, on the other hand, are divas. They don't like walking on the snow and ice. They have several places to go, in addition to their coop, to stay out of the weather and they use them religiously. 😂

They came with hooks, chains, and S-hooks, so I got it all set up today.

ABSOLUTELY!
In fact.......
View attachment 3392067
The bottom has 2 lights because I plan on that being the germination shelf, so I can have the lights closer to the trays without worrying about moving trays around. My old set up was maybe 1'x2' o lighting. This setup is 3 shelves that are 36"x16"!!! SO MUCH MORE CAN BE DONE!!!!!
I'm jealous! Love it! Although I'd need a way to close it off to keep the cats from jumping onto the shelves and eating my seedlings

Back
Top Bottom