What did you do in the garden today?

28 degrees out and there's still snow and ice
I cracked open the starting mix bucket and I hear my sinus' scream 'check the calendar woman!'
I filled 4 flats and planted them with chia. I should have done graduated ones, but the heck with it. The seeding shed IS COLD.
The heated mats are on and they are covered and the curtain is closed and I water with warm water, but the shed is only 42'. Tough.
If they sprout the chickens will be thrilled. If they don't, they don't.

I set up / unfurled one of the heat mats. I put a board on top of it to keep it flat for now. Tomorrow I plan to start the leeks. Cold start this morning. It was 13F when I took the dogs out. It got up to 29F and sunny with just a little breeze. It’s supposed to be a wee bit warmer tomorrow with the high up to 34F. That’s the most warmth we’ll have until Sunday afternoon.

I washed the potting mix off of my Better Boy tomato plant and stuck it in my 25 gallon kratky trash bin. It seems to be handling the sun, so I won't cover it. It has been in the trash bin for 2 days, I think its going to make it.........................

I am going to take off all the suckers and let it grow as long as it wants.

DSCN0034.JPG

One of the across the way holders, like 1/3 of a mile away, across the road from me decided to burn today. He burns everything, paper, trash, cardboard,plastic....he won't pay for trash pickup. He never burns when the smoke will blow towards his place. His wife has asthma and a few other major issues. HELLO, we all do.
Today I was the one downwind all day. Even though the house is closed, it still gets in and I still have to go out to take care of animals a couple times of day. This last trip he obviously had plastic in it.
My eyes and throat burn. TICK me off to NO end.
I had to shower and throw everything into the wash, it smells that badly.
We're allowed to burn, with permit, preferably, but WE never burn if a house is downwind, and we NEVER burn toxins.
THE SMELL!

Cold coming here early Friday. Supposed to drop to double digit negatives. Back up to 48 on Tuesday. Just thankful it will be short lived.

I have a mason jar sprouting cap and I’ve been growing sprouts for the chickens while the garden stays covered in snow. They get that, our other veggie scraps, and a handful of scratch every day. Can’t wait to actually start growing something.

I'm convinced my ducks are clueless when it comes to weather... 😂 They don't care whether it's raining, snowing, or the middle of an ice storm...they sit outside in the open air. In addition to their coop, they have a walk-in shed (to keep their food bowls out of the weather) and a repurposed child's playhouse which would give them place to get out of the wind and weather. They don't use any of them... 🙄

My chickens, on the other hand, are divas. They don't like walking on the snow and ice. They have several places to go, in addition to their coop, to stay out of the weather and they use them religiously. 😂
Our ducks were the same way. All year long they were outside in the open air. They would go in to eat and on a few occasions they went in to get out of only the coldest weather at night. I miss the ducks. I just might get more and let them roam the entire garden. Don't tell DW that though.

Back
Top Bottom