What did you do in the garden today?

Everything I've read claims that Fava Beans (aka, "Broad Beans") are cold hardy down to 14°F. I'm not sure that's right, at least not when they're starting out. We haven't gotten below 25°F yet.
Well, this answers that question.

Attachments

• 20230204_115903.jpg
    20230204_115903.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
I grew one string bean vine in a 2 gallon pot with a water tray underneath and it got infested with bugs. I cut off all the leaves and started feeding the plant with concentrated boiled garlic juice and 2tsp/gal of Miracle Grow Tomato plant food when ever the bottom tray dried out. It came back and I am now snacking on the string beans every morning. What ever bugs that were destroying my plant doesn't seem to like the concentrated garlic juice.

I just chopped down a white fly infested Brazilian Cherry Tree that was growing close by, and its interesting to note, there are no white flies on my string bean vine, since I started feeding it with garlic juice.

One string bean vine is perfect for me to snack on, two would make me tired of eating them.

Now that I have the situation under control, I will use the garlic juice once a week to make it more economical. I bought a 3lb bag of peeled garlic from Costco and ground them up with my ninja blender and pressured cooked it in a gallon of water and then divided it into two plastic gallon size milk jugs and put in more water to fill each jug.. I dilute one cup of this to one gallon of water to feed my plants.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom