What did you do in the garden today?

Thank you! I would never have looked in a pet store.

Any other locations to check for coir? And are there different kinds? I wouldn't want one that was treated/dyed, etc. as wood chip mulch is, for example.

And @WthrLady answers my question before I ask. Is this group great, or what? :thumbsup
I've also purchased it at home depot. Here they are JUST putting them out. And don't look for something HUGE, it's about the size of a brick brick, maybe a cobblestone brick. NOT HUGE.
Also, I find it absorbs water better if you break it up, grab a hammer. It takes forever and floats if you just toss it into a large container with water, Even if you just break it in half or thirds.
Toss it in and walk away. ALSO you can always add MORE water later if it's too dry, if you start with too much...UGH is all I'm saying!
I keep a couple of bricks on hand in case, otherwise I've switched to the giant pack of promix

It can be frustrating, but gardening is always an adventure and always teaches something, no matter how long you've been gardening/growing something.

For melons/cukes, do the leaves ever get in the way when transplanting? I am going to do this this season so I can start them ahead of time.

I just re-remembered that I have SO MUCH MORE SEED STARTING SPACE!!!!! I'm itching to start my seeds, and Burpee sent me an email saying I can start cool season vegetables and slow growing annuals indoors in my region. Umm.... no. 15 weeks is excessive.

OH! I have seeds that need to be cold stratified. My research says to put them in moist soil or paper towels, and then into the fridge for however long. My question is... can I just put the dry seed packet in a bag the fridge or do they need the moistness? Any tips or tricks?
They need moisture.

Those toilet paper roles always seem to get moldy. Also, what would I use as the bottom? I don't want to tape a cardboard circle to the bottom because then I am putting tape in the garden soil. I thought of brown paper bags, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster if it rips open.

I'm wondering now if I use a mesh plastic basket and line it with paper if that would work. I would plant the whole basket and just remove it at the end of the season when clearing the vines. The roots should be able to grow right through it I think.
Yes, agree about the mold. I had this problem too. Someone (I forget who) suggested spraying the outside of the tube with diluted bleach which will stop the mold in its tracks. I have some peat pots and manure pots I am going to try to use this year. If they mold, we'll see if the bleach works.

As for the bottom, you'd cut, dampen, and fold just like the toilet paper rolls. No tape required.

Two years ago I grew garlic for the first time. I actually started it indoors in Feb after 30s in the garage fridge as artificial stratification because I didn't decide to grow it until we were well into winter. They transplanted fine. They weren't all the biggest heads at harvest, but I blame that on the late start and artificial stratification.
Yours might decide to Spend some energy regrowing roots, but I think they'll be fine.
Awesome thank u so much for sharing that!

Back
Top Bottom