What did you do in the garden today?

Gardening today entailed very little.

I checked on the peas we planted a little while back. Nothing at first, but I decided to gently removevsoil from where I knew we had peas in the ground and found that they are sprouting. It will just be a few days probably until we have leaves above ground.
I ran to Menards and for the Schultz fertilizer suggested by @WthrLady. I mixed some half strength solution and watered the starts worth it when I got back. Fingers crossed it works out alright.
I also strolled around the garden for a few minutes earlier. The newly filled raised beds are compacting already I noticed. I didn't compact the soil at all as I filed so it's not a real surprise. I'll need to top with just afew bags of soil or some compost (preferably, but if I can get some because my bins are used up or not ready yet) when I transplant.i also noticed the garlic is up about 6-8 inches and the walking onions are just as tall if not taller.

I'm eager to get potatoes in the ground, but still not finding them. HD did have them, but in small bags of just 4 seed potatoes for $3.88. I pay about $8 for 5lb of seed potatoes normally at Menards or Blain's Farm and Fleet (local farm store chain). The problem is neither of them has the seed potatoes in stock yet. I'm seriously considering getting organic potatoes and trying to chit them.

I cut cable about a year ago. I do pay for internet but it’s less than a third of what I was paying for cable. Since I already had an Amazon Prime membership I opted for firetv stick. There are massive amount of free tv programs you can get. I do pay about an additional $30 per month for Paramount plus, pbs and Frndly TV. You cannot get OTA channels here. Because of the terrain, granite boulder laced hills so cable and wifi is the only option for TV.

Do your grocery stores carry seed potatoes in bulk? Mine does.
No. There's a feed store I don't go to much might. I know they had onion sets last year. I'll have to check and see. Otherwise, I bet Menards and Blain's will have them in April and I will just have to plant a fewv weeks later than desired.

I suggest you try Native Seed. All southwest Desert adapted varieties of whatever.

Don’t order fruit trees online, everyone ships far too late for desert climates. Visit a local shop and buy there, the earlier you buy the better.

If a package says an item can take full sun, that doesn’t mean desert sun so a lot of stuff benefits from 50% shade in the latter half of the day.

Good luck!
I found out last year the hard way about the full sun/50% sun. A shade cloth on the garden was the only reason I got some of the stuff I got.

I did have good luck planting just a couple of trees late. I put them in after the rains in August, and they grew and were happy until our first frost in... I think it was early November that year. But I have to plan for varieties that fruit in late May/early June before the big heat spike in July and early August that puts us in the triple digits most days. We've got these two, hard stops in our growing seasons. The heat spike of the middle summer, and the cold spike of winter. The cold crops that survive the hard freeze stop growing for a month, and the summer crops also call a complete halt of activities for a month. No growth, and no produce.

We have one local nusery. For being pretty much the only one in driving distance, it's pretty small. I know I won't be able to get everything there, but I definitely plan to get local what I can.

Thanks for the link. I'll check out.
Look around in there. There are a LOT of high mileage units out there. OC you do have to have the right terrain for them. Pretty flat here, but also only a couple cities that broadcast and they're all 40-200 miles away from me.
I forgot about firestick...there's one laying around here somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom