What did you do in the garden today?

I have a small rose garden on the side of the house. Is really just a row of rose bushes. It's planted because my grandmother loved roses. I decided to dedicate the garden with a sign...

I thought I would share in case anybody else has a memorial garden/tree/flower bed.
I love the idea. Thank you for sharing. You have a good heart. ♡ I actually have a sedum that was my grandma's. We lost her in... I think '91.

I lost both of my parents, recently. I think I'd like to do something like you did. This is a very special shot we got of my folks up at our camp. I might do something special for them up there
received_595539879292325.jpeg

I use a teaspoon of dawn liquid dish soap and a 32 oz water spray bottle to kill those aphids. The soap doesn't affect my won bok, but the aphids dry up and fall off.

Yes, I did that successfully for many weeks, but the infestation got so bad that I ended up tossing out the plants around mid-March. Still, I had lots of fresh Swiss Chard from November until then. It was a partial success. At that time, I did not know that digging plants out of the garden, potting them into containers, and then growing them in the house would lead to bugs a plenty in the house.

I am thinking that a sterile growing medium with hydroponic solutions would be a better option.

Questions: Is it worth my time to try to grow some old vegetable seeds? How old is too old? Any best method to germinate old seeds?

Digging through my old gardening stuff, I have found seed packs, many unopened that are 3, 4 and even 5 years old. I was thinking of trying to germinate them in a plastic baggy with the paper towel method to see if they sprout. If they do, then I would transplant them in a net cup at that time and set them out on my seed starting racks. If the seeds don't sprout, I would have lost some time but not much effort in the process.

I plan on putting my new seeds for this year directly into the soil in the net cups. Even so, would you recommend 2 or 3 seeds (tomato, peppers) in each cup and then thinning out later? Or should I just go with one seed per net cup?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Questions: Is it worth my time to try to grow some old vegetable seeds? How old is too old? Any best method to germinate old seeds?

Digging through my old gardening stuff, I have found seed packs, many unopened that are 3, 4 and even 5 years old. I was thinking of trying to germinate them in a plastic baggy with the paper towel method to see if they sprout. If they do, then I would transplant them in a net cup at that time and set them out on my seed starting racks. If the seeds don't sprout, I would have lost some time but not much effort in the process.
I'd say it's worth a shot. I have grown older seeds without a problem, again that's just me.
I plan on putting my new seeds for this year directly into the soil in the net cups. Even so, would you recommend 2 or 3 seeds (tomato, peppers) in each cup and then thinning out later? Or should I just go with one seed per net cup?
I think it's just personal preference. I've done both, and I don't really like thinning because I seems like a wasted plant. On that note, I'd probably do 1 seed per net cup. Imo.

I use a glass petri dish with water and tissue to sprout my tomato seeds, so I can see if the seeds are still alive. I hate waiting for them to sprout in seed starting mix, not knowing if they are still good or not. I wait for the roots to get at least 1/2 an inch before I take them out of the petri dish and stick them in a a seed starter tray.

Also, when 2 cells out of 12 sprout, I had to take off the dome and take it off the heat pad or the 2 would get super leggy. I just put them out in the sun and I saw another seed pop up the next day, so now I have 3 out of 12. I hope the others pop up soon.

In comparison, I don't have to guess with the petri dish method.

Last edited:
Got us a new 17 inch rear tine tiller today for the best price of all, free.

Thing looks brand new. Been sitting up for 5 years. Surprised me we went to crank it up and after the 3rd pull it popped off. Needs a tube in one tire as it sit on a flat and the tire cracked so it wont hold air for very long.

Now ask me what I'm gonna do with 2 front tine and 2 rear tine tillers:D

Back
Top Bottom