What did you do in the garden today?

Questions: Is it worth my time to try to grow some old vegetable seeds? How old is too old? Any best method to germinate old seeds?

Digging through my old gardening stuff, I have found seed packs, many unopened that are 3, 4 and even 5 years old. I was thinking of trying to germinate them in a plastic baggy with the paper towel method to see if they sprout. If they do, then I would transplant them in a net cup at that time and set them out on my seed starting racks. If the seeds don't sprout, I would have lost some time but not much effort in the process.

I plan on putting my new seeds for this year directly into the soil in the net cups. Even so, would you recommend 2 or 3 seeds (tomato, peppers) in each cup and then thinning out later? Or should I just go with one seed per net cup?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
I’d put two each cup and thin. Seeds aren’t terribly expensive

Most old seeds grow and yes there is a time when they will not after enough years. A few have very short storage life but not many. 40 years ago I worked at a seed store. The owner had a 50 # bag of expired wax bean seed he wanted to get rid of. He gave them to me. I grew them for maybe 5 years before germination got poor.

I feel like Americans have a different name for Dutching and Spaining plants. So I’m going to explain what it means, and you will tell me how you call it.
Dutching a plant is when you leave 1-3 branches of a plant and spin each branch around a plastic wire hung from above.
Spaining a plant, is when you hammer two poles into the ground and pass two wires between them, and then as you plant grows, you cross its branches between the wires like a zigzag.
I would guess Spaining is what we call a trellis based on your explanation of it. Dutching may be what we call an espalier? It’s used primarily in fruit production, or at least that’s what I’ve seen it used for, but it’s useful for all kinds of plants really.

I'd say it's worth a shot. I have grown older seeds without a problem, again that's just me.

I think it's just personal preference. I've done both, and I don't really like thinning because I seems like a wasted plant. On that note, I'd probably do 1 seed per net cup. Imo.

Thanks. I think I will plant one new fresh seed per pot, and maybe just plant a few extra pots in case some of the new seeds don't germinate. As for the older seeds, I think I will try germinating them in a plastic baggy with a paper towel and if they spout, I'll transplant them at that time.

I’d put two each cup and thin. Seeds aren’t terribly expensive

Some seeds are more expensive than others. But I suppose in the big picture seeds are not nearly as expensive as the time and effort in seed starting. I just paid $3.50 for a small pack of Baby Bok-Choy seeds, and it does not feel like there are very many in that package.

I stopped in WalMart this morning to pick up a few things and noticed that a head of Bok-Choy costs $3.00 each. I don't know how many seeds came in that package of Bok-Choy, but it won't take very many seeds to grow $3.50 worth of Bok-Choy at the current prices.

Good morning all. I totally agree @igorsMistress. The terms perhaps were used to as to where that style of plant supports originated from. Not much happening in the garden today. I re-seeded two of the cells for tarragon. One came up, the others did not. Tarragon is a bit of a pain to start. I had intended to start the eggplant and bell peppers. I couldn't find the seed packets. I'm sure I have them, just trying to be quick about it. I sprayed the peach tree yesterday after lunch. I really sprayed it heavily. Good thing, the TV meteorologist mentioned we could get a snow shower over night tonight. Now in most places a shower would be a quick, even fleeting event. In New England a shower could mean an inch of snow. LOL! A "dusting" of snow is anything up to 6 inches. So, fingers crossed it isn't all that much. At least it won't be enough to have to shovel. I finally caved and bought some San Francisco sourdough starter culture. My last sourdough culture, Old Hooch died from neglect during the gluten free mis-diagnosis. I had planned to make my own again but kept putting it off. The culture arrived yesterday and I started it in it's new container this morning. I can't wait to get back to having fresh sourdough bread again. I'm also curious to see if there really is a big difference between regular sourdough and San Francisco sourdough. I'm happy to learn you found the baby bok choy seeds @gtaus. Best of luck for a good harvest. Next week looks like a good week for outdoor cleaning and garden prepping. That is, as of right now. It's supposed to be a bit drier. Time to get moving. Have a great day.

Some seeds are more expensive than others. But I suppose in the big picture seeds are not nearly as expensive as the time and effort in seed starting. I just paid $3.50 for a small pack of Baby Bok-Choy seeds, and it does not feel like there are very many in that package.

I stopped in WalMart this morning to pick up a few things and noticed that a head of Bok-Choy costs $3.00 each. I don't know how many seeds came in that package of Bok-Choy, but it won't take very many seeds to grow $3.50 worth of Bok-Choy at the current prices.
Exactly lol

Good morning all. I totally agree @igorsMistress. The terms perhaps were used to as to where that style of plant supports originated from. Not much happening in the garden today. I re-seeded two of the cells for tarragon. One came up, the others did not. Tarragon is a bit of a pain to start. I had intended to start the eggplant and bell peppers. I couldn't find the seed packets. I'm sure I have them, just trying to be quick about it. I sprayed the peach tree yesterday after lunch. I really sprayed it heavily. Good thing, the TV meteorologist mentioned we could get a snow shower over night tonight. Now in most places a shower would be a quick, even fleeting event. In New England a shower could mean an inch of snow. LOL! A "dusting" of snow is anything up to 6 inches. So, fingers crossed it isn't all that much. At least it won't be enough to have to shovel. I finally caved and bought some San Francisco sourdough starter culture. My last sourdough culture, Old Hooch died from neglect during the gluten free mis-diagnosis. I had planned to make my own again but kept putting it off. The culture arrived yesterday and I started it in it's new container this morning. I can't wait to get back to having fresh sourdough bread again. I'm also curious to see if there really is a big difference between regular sourdough and San Francisco sourdough. I'm happy to learn you found the baby bok choy seeds @gtaus. Best of luck for a good harvest. Next week looks like a good week for outdoor cleaning and garden prepping. That is, as of right now. It's supposed to be a bit drier. Time to get moving. Have a great day.
I haven’t noticed any difference and I’ve used starters from both regular and SF sourdough

Back
Top Bottom