What did you do in the garden today?

I'm so sorry to hear that @WthrLady. That's sad that people would rather wait in line at the big box stores for crappy plants.

We have kudzu here & it stinks, I can't even pull the vines - they're too strong for me. They take over everything ripping down gutters & siding & choking out flowers or trees if you don't get them quick. The only thing saving us is they die in the winter.

We found the $100 at the bottom of the pile of stone! :yesss:

BONUS! LOL. ROCK Pile Payout.
Hummingbirds are staying. I have one male, that I know of, and two females- one is shy, the other doesn't care if you're out there.
Temped to move the greenhouse camera out there, but probably won't.
Planted the last of the onions, leek, and chives.
Watered the whole garden, and the steep part of the yard. I need to keep the grass alive there for erosion control. The rest, sadly, is on its own.
Put up another birdhouse.

Just ran the sprinkler on the high garden and blueberries for 30 minutes. While that was going I put the tack straw around the leeks and shallots and the green beans. It’s 81F dry and sunny. Very hot. I’m waiting for the basil to come up in the SM tomato bed before I mulch in there. Still need to put straw and dirt with the fingerling potatoes and red onions. That will have to wait. I need to get the ac units set up.

BONUS! LOL. ROCK Pile Payout.
Hummingbirds are staying. I have one male, that I know of, and two females- one is shy, the other doesn't care if you're out there.
Temped to move the greenhouse camera out there, but probably won't.
Planted the last of the onions, leek, and chives.
Watered the whole garden, and the steep part of the yard. I need to keep the grass alive there for erosion control. The rest, sadly, is on its own.
Put up another birdhouse.
So you found the buried money? That was you, right, where the rock guy buried his payment under tons of gravel?

I mentioned in an earlier post that my Brussels sprouts plants were all bolting because I planted them way too early. Well, all my red Russian kale plants started to bolt too. And my broccoli plants were also a bust.

So I just cut all the worst ones down, rinsed them and chopped up the leaves to make cooked greens with, B. sprouts, kale and broccoli. I got 1 gallon tightly packed greens that I put in the freezer, and a pot of leaf scraps and tender stems on the stovetop cooking.

I will plant a fall crop of brassicas, I think mid July to mid August is the right time, depending on the variety. I like my greens. Real greens. Eating lettuce is like chewing on water. There's nothing there.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my Brussels sprouts plants were all bolting because I planted them way too early. Well, all my red Russian kale plants started to bolt too. And my broccoli plants were also a bust.

So I just cut all the worst ones down, rinsed them and chopped up the leaves to make cooked greens with, B. sprouts, kale and broccoli. I got 1 gallon tightly packed greens that I put in the freezer, and a pot of leaf scraps and tender stems on the stovetop cooking.

I will plant a fall crop of brassicas, I think mid July to mid August is the right time, depending on the variety. I like my greens. Real greens. Eating lettuce is like chewing on water. There's nothing there.
First time planting turnips, and they're doing great! The greens are good to eat, as are the roots. Delish. And nutritious.

Back
Top Bottom