What did you do in the garden today?

Today, the spring on one side of our garage door disconnected, so we were trapped at home. With my plan for the day officially flushed, I watered, finished planting all of my marigolds, reseeded the cabbage and cucumbers, fed the strawberries, watered anything that looked like it hadn't gotten enough, weeded a bit/what I was near, planted the wild strawberries around 3 of my 6 new fruit trees, set up the arch to be my cucumber trellis, decided to use a tripod of branches/small trees for my beans' trellis, laid those trees out, cleaned everything up, watered the new fruit trees, watered the new elderberries which are really starting to grow now, and came in. Once it cooled off and the wind died down, I sprayed the new fruit trees.

The garage door guy will be coming in the morning with at least another guy, so, we will be stuck home again until they get the whole spring-mechanism-thing replaced.

It was very hot out, but I enjoyed the work (and made sure to take lots of water breaks in the A/C). I only have a couple of 6-pack starters to plant if nasturtiums, and that is it other than flowers and succession planting. I NEED to get some kind of mulch for everything because it is so stinking dry. Only the San Marzano seedlings have bounced back with a vengeance! The Romas were bouncing back in their cups, but have started struggling since I planted them. I've never struggled with tomatoes like this before, but I know it's my fault for not hardening them off properly... which is extra frustrating because I KNOW BETTER, DANG IT!

I'm sure I don't need to say it, but I'm exhausted, and officially going to bed.

Funny you mention metal, tomato plants and string. I made a tomato trellis out of two fence posts and a 15ft sapling today. I attached the pole to the posts then some fencing to the pole. I got a few plants started in the fence and it won't be long before they all reach the 5ft mark. I'm having a little issue with some funky looking new growth. I'm thinking maybe a little bit too much nitro. I have sprayed the area more than once with herbicide, the nasty kind that kills everything but not this year before we decided to try and plant in that location, however I did try and spray it with weed killer in march but I think someone put some insecticide in the jug by mistake because nothing died that I sprayed and I had to use the trimmer when the weeds started to grow big. The plants are still healthy and strong just some funky new growth. I'm going to try some 0-10-10 and hold off on the nitro for the time being. It could just be the cool damp conditions we been having. I'm not worried yet. I peeked in on my Brazilian wax peppers that the slugs almost ate. I have some good looking new pepper plant growth now along with some baby peppers about an inch long. Now if I can get my chicken coop and run started/finished. :)

I fed my watermelons, picked some cannabis squash and cucumbers. I also picked some jalapenos. I've planted some beans, and I don't know what they are! The green string beans were great, but these others???? I'm trying to grow sunflowers for my chickens. So far, they're about as tall as I am (5 ft.) Eventually, they'll be 1 foot across; hopefully, with plenty of seeds!
I have a large, LARGE cucumber plant that has a mind of her own! I call her, "FEED ME!" Named after the comical plant that grows overnight. I believe I've gotten at least 10 lbs of cucumbers from her in the last week and a half. I've given a large box away to my neighbors, my husband's ex-in laws, and my table is still full, along with the fridge. If my sister didn't live so far away, she'd be loaded down! I've gotten a good amount of string green beans too, and a few really nice tomatoes...

Surprisingly delighted to see this thread! I was out there for hours (here and there in between zoom mtgs) but feel so accomplished! Have been frustrated by this slanted bed since we bought the house, always thought ‘gotta fix that’.. then a big storm this spring made tree fall on it so yay! Hubz helped with leveling the kit and today I finished it out. I realize it looks like not enough dirt but this will be a long term, layer-style and I was thrilled to have and use a winter’s worth of flock bedding as the base layer.. thanks, girls!

Attachments

• 4330E438-274D-46A7-A410-649FCA5B3256.jpeg
    4330E438-274D-46A7-A410-649FCA5B3256.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 130D950A-C25D-43FF-A57F-70FC81A565A6.jpeg
    130D950A-C25D-43FF-A57F-70FC81A565A6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I found a picture showing the difference in distribution of the water from slow application vs fast application. I din't have enough bandwidth here to find it again but it showed a noticeably deeper curve for slow vs wider curve for fast. I'm not sure how deep I want. Or rather, I know I want below the roots by a little but don't know how to get it that deep but not deeper.

The milk jug watering system is a success so far but still needs some adjustment. I used the point of a paring knife to make the holes - one per jug and varied from small enough that I sometimes blew into the jug to find it to large enough to almost stream instead of drip. I set them out with the caps on but as loose as possible - just far enough to stay in place. Some emptied in less than two hours, some were down only a quart over four hours. I may use a drill to get a consistent size once I know better what size works best.

This is on sand. It I had clay, I would put the jug on risers of some sort - pebbles, maybe.

I didn't bury the jugs. I might later if I come up with a good way to fill them in place. Maybe a pair of two gallon watering cans with spouts rather than sprinkling heads until I get the barrel reservoirs figured out.

The 15 gallon barrels as reservoirs idea needs some more planning before I test it. My current sticking point is how to seal where the siphon hose enters the jug. Also, how to level the jugs or how level they need to be.

The plants are small enough to not need that much water yet.

Bullfrog, I have soaker hoses and drip tape - next generations from like the hose you pictured. If I remember correctly, the biggest advantages over the hose with holes (in a field) are a more even distribution and less dirt goes into the hose. But neither type will work for this situation.

Last edited:
View attachment 3523589

Is this better?

Thanks for the input on the second one.
Looks like a leaf hopper.

Let the natural predators take care of them.
Repotted my dahlias, the roots had already filled the pot 🙈 had intended to plant potatoes, this morning, I looked at “weeds” sprouting where I had planted potatoes last year, when I came closer I saw they were potatoes!!! I must have overlooked some last year, and we had a mild winter, so no need to plant them 😅
I love volunteers! I didn't have to plant watermelon this year. :cool:

Putting down seed & straw on the part of the lawn he graded. Trying to find enough hose to get it watered! If I ever build a house it will have water spigots & electrical outlets on front & back. *grumblegrumble*
They can be added. My dad added an outside outlet to the back of my house for my pond pumps, wired it into its own breaker in the box. Yes, we drilled a hole through the wall.

I was fortunate enough to already have three outside faucets (house was built in 1970).

DH & I talked about making new garden beds & we decided it's worth the investment. It is part of my retirement plan & will keep me healthy & active not to mention the good food we'll get. Now we just need to decide what to build them out of. I suggested the cinder blocks & doing one 4x8 bed a year. Or even a 4x16. I really like the idea, he's not sold on it but we'll see.
I decided to make a raised bed investment last year, purchased one cedar wood kit from Greene's Fence, and was so pleased with the product that I invested in two more this spring. They're 4'x8'x14" and have saved my back from digging and stooping as much.

IMG_20230331_123552653_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230526_160950899_HDR.jpg

Keep in mind that, due to inflation, the cost of buying or building these will probably increase, so if you can swing it, invest now.

Back
Top Bottom