What did you do in the garden today?

I found a silicone ice tray of grated ginger in my freezer. I forgot I had it in there, I remember harvesting a bunch of ginger in the early part of the year. Anyway, I put a 1 inch cube of grated ginger in 2 cups of hot water and added sugar to taste. I let it cool off and put it in the ice box. It was very refreshing, I original put the grated ginger in silicone ice trays to make cold ginger chicken sauce. I am happy I found another use for it and it has health benefits..............:frow
https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-health-benefits-ginger

Last edited:
I watered the tomatoes and dill earlier this afternoon and after dark went out to the tomatoes and used a flashlight to try and find the hornworms. Not a single one dared to come out tonight. Maybe again early in the morning they might be out. If not I'm going to get really mean with those worms. Once I find them I'm throwing them to the chickens.
Bend down by the tomato plants and look UP through the foliage. Sometimes they're easier to spot that way. Also, look for droppings, they leave a trail behind them.

Also, look for droppings, they leave a trail behind them.
That's how I always find them. & my chickens LOVE them! Won't touch japanese beetles, but love nasty hornworms.

Still no rain. It was in the forecast to rain all week, not a drop. At least the smoke seems much better today. I will water today to see if that can bring it.

Garden is doing well, can't wait for the wildflowers to bloom, I way over seeded the beds. :gig Kinda look like weeds right now though. Beans are climbing but everything seems so slow to grow. Maybe because it's only been in the 60 the last week. :idunno

Bend down by the tomato plants and look UP through the foliage. Sometimes they're easier to spot that way. Also, look for droppings, they leave a trail behind them.
The problem is the bending down no longer works very well. I saw the trails of droppings but still no worms. Can't use sevin on them as I want the chickens to have their treats.

Good morning gardeners. Finally got caught up, y’all have been busy! I haven’t been up to much but maintenance watering and a little trimming here and there. The Romaine is starting to have that characteristic look, can’t wait for that to be ready. I started three more pots of lettuce, also Romaine, need to cut down the extra sprouts today. Think I’ll give a few things some blue juice out front, I’d like to see more growth on the sage plants and it really hasn’t been particularly hot, thank goodness for that!

Good morning gardeners. Ditto on the rain @Sueby. I watered yesterday and got a very brief spotty shower after. More “rain” in the forecast this afternoon. We’ll see. I weeded two of the 8 foot garden beds this morning and covered them both with bug netting. I planted another row of kale then put fertilizer down in the big garden. Everything is doing well. I do need to get some fertilizer put down in the high garden. I noticed on my drive south yesterday that the grape vines in the winery fields are just now growing. That area is zone 6 so my vines should be putting on greenery soon. I’m in zone 5a bordering on 5b. Leaving to pick up mulch in a little while. If the rain doesn’t happen perhaps I can mow my backyard.

Back
Top Bottom