What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Finally got caught up, y’all have been busy! I haven’t been up to much but maintenance watering and a little trimming here and there. The Romaine is starting to have that characteristic look, can’t wait for that to be ready. I started three more pots of lettuce, also Romaine, need to cut down the extra sprouts. I’ve been fighting broodies all Spring, it’s getting old. I’ve thought about letting Attila have two eggs, but really don’t feel like dealing with chicks this year. I’m slowly getting the house organized and purging, being brutal about it and will have a trunk full of stuff for Goodwill on Monday. I went to an ENT last week and have a tentative diagnosis of Meniere’s as the reason for my vertigo. Still have some tests to go through and he has suggested hearing aids as well. I don’t know that I want to hear any better, it makes for a good excuse :lol: Anyway, take care all!

@igorsMistress - hows the vertigo? Mine is completely gone, finally.
Hi Sueby, I’m so glad you’re feeling better! I wouldn’t wish vertigo on anyone but my ex lol. I’ve only had a couple of new episodes of full on vertigo since that bad one, but the unsteady/dizzy feeling is mostly gone. I still feel it when I’m tired and the afternoon/evening most days. The tinnitus wears me down sometimes though, it gets so loud. Did you have tinnitus also or just the vertigo?

Hi Sueby, I’m so glad you’re feeling better! I wouldn’t wish vertigo on anyone but my ex lol. I’ve only had a couple of new episodes of full on vertigo since that bad one, but the unsteady/dizzy feeling is mostly gone. I still feel it when I’m tired and the afternoon/evening most days. The tinnitus wears me down sometimes though, it gets so loud. Did you have tinnitus also or just the vertigo?
I have tinnitus from seasonal allergies, but it's never real bad. I could certainly see how that could drive one nuts! I didn't get it with the vertigo, thankfully. I have a friend with Menieres & we were with him the weekend he got it, he thought he was going crazy, he was so sick he hid in the hotel room the entire vacation. When he got home he went to the doc & got the diagnosis. I felt so bad for him. I'm glad you're doing a little better, I hope that continues & it just goes away for you.

I really checked my strawberry plants the other day, and found some baby green berries growing! So, we will get a few at least!

I also discovered a potato plant growing in the area I grew potatoes last year, so I guess I missed at least one. :gig

I want to get more mole traps because this guy is everywhere, except for where I put the trap. I feel like the moles aren't as active this year, but maybe they are just deeper down with how dry it is. I'm okay with that, as long as they don't move the earth under my garden plants!

OH! I took pictures of the possible grape yesterday. What do you all think: grape or not grape?
F5032306-C7BE-4A62-B6D6-8334392DE3CB.jpeg

A0185FAD-C10C-4068-B813-3162A47E0570.jpeg

AE2788A3-C584-404F-A5C2-AE7655E7F024.jpeg

After 15 days, is this real?

I can't see any reason this is real. I don't think a tomato left in those conditions would still be that red and firm 15 days later... especially with tomato plants growing inside of it.

I have tinnitus from seasonal allergies, but it's never real bad. I could certainly see how that could drive one nuts! I didn't get it with the vertigo, thankfully. I have a friend with Menieres & we were with him the weekend he got it, he thought he was going crazy, he was so sick he hid in the hotel room the entire vacation. When he got home he went to the doc & got the diagnosis. I felt so bad for him. I'm glad you're doing a little better, I hope that continues & it just goes away for you.
Oh wow, I hope your friend is ok! It seems to affect all us differently. Menieres.org is a really good site for patients if he’s interested; just warn him that there’s a lot of whining on there and you have weed through some of it to find good info.

I’m glad your tinnitus isn’t bad and you can get relief from it. And the vertigo too, they both suck. Mine hasn’t made me nuts yet, but I do get grumpy sometimes and hide in my room. I’ve been living with many of the symptoms of Meniere’s for years and didn’t know. I never put everything together until that bad attack had me looking for answers.

I really checked my strawberry plants the other day, and found some baby green berries growing! So, we will get a few at least!

I also discovered a potato plant growing in the area I grew potatoes last year, so I guess I missed at least one. :gig

I want to get more mole traps because this guy is everywhere, except for where I put the trap. I feel like the moles aren't as active this year, but maybe they are just deeper down with how dry it is. I'm okay with that, as long as they don't move the earth under my garden plants!

OH! I took pictures of the possible grape yesterday. What do you all think: grape or not grape?
View attachment 3535231
View attachment 3535232
View attachment 3535234

I can't see any reason this is real. I don't think a tomato left in those conditions would still be that red and firm 15 days later... especially with tomato plants growing inside of it.
That's definitely a grape.

Good morning gardeners. Finally got caught up, y’all have been busy! I haven’t been up to much but maintenance watering and a little trimming here and there. The Romaine is starting to have that characteristic look, can’t wait for that to be ready. I started three more pots of lettuce, also Romaine, need to cut down the extra sprouts today. Think I’ll give a few things some blue juice out front, I’d like to see more growth on the sage plants and it really hasn’t been particularly hot, thank goodness for that!

Glad to hear you're able to keep up with the garden! How has the vertigo been?

Good morning gardeners. Finally got caught up, y’all have been busy! I haven’t been up to much but maintenance watering and a little trimming here and there. The Romaine is starting to have that characteristic look, can’t wait for that to be ready. I started three more pots of lettuce, also Romaine, need to cut down the extra sprouts. I’ve been fighting broodies all Spring, it’s getting old. I’ve thought about letting Attila have two eggs, but really don’t feel like dealing with chicks this year. I’m slowly getting the house organized and purging, being brutal about it and will have a trunk full of stuff for Goodwill on Monday. I went to an ENT last week and have a tentative diagnosis of Meniere’s as the reason for my vertigo. Still have some tests to go through and he has suggested hearing aids as well. I don’t know that I want to hear any better, it makes for a good excuse :lol: Anyway, take care all!

Ignore my last question, I should have kept reading the posts first, lol.

I made some really ugly side grafts, it was my first attempt, so I did learn a few things.
1) Before making the cut, its good to place a knitting needle with a silicon clip to support the top of the scion, so it does not bend over and rip. The roost stock's top is cut off, so it doesn't need a support. 2) The downward root cut should start where the up cut on the scion ended.

Its been about a week and the two ugly grafted scions did not die yet and did not show any signs of wilting even thou they were kept outside in 40% filtered sun. The scion pot also completely dried out once with no signs of wilting. I am going to stop watering the scion pot today.

I used grafting tape on one scion and used a red clip on the other, they both reacted the same way, but the plant with the red clip seem to have had the TYLCV virus before I grafted it, but I grafted it anyway. I want to see if it can over come the virus and fruit like it's Princess Yum Yum parent plant.

The scions are either Pineapple or Orange Jazz, I lost track? :th
DSCN0134.JPG

DSCN0135.JPG

DSCN0136.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom