What did you do in the garden today?

Thanks for the links. I have watched both of them.

I don't think the Dutch Bucket system is what I am looking for. I am thinking more in terms of using sub-irrigated totes with a water reservoir in each tote maybe 3 inches deep. I have a standalone elevated sub-irrigated planter that works great, but I would like to use that system with totes that are daisy chained together. My idea is to have a large 55-gallon rain barrel fill a water level control box that feeds a water supply line to the totes.

It would be easy to make that type of system if you had all the totes on the same level. But I was thinking of making a 3-tier shelf to stack the totes and save room out in the garden area.

I know the easiest solution is just to make each tote into a DIY EarthBox and fill up each box separately. But it would be nice if I could figure out a way to tie them all together and automate the process. Filling up one large reservoir would be much more efficient that filling up multiple individual totes.

Well, I have not figured it out, but I'm still working on the concept.

Again, I do appreciate the links you provided. Thank you.

Question: I moved one of my greenstalks (vertical garden) into the greenhouse in the fall. It has developed an algae on top of some of the growing "pockets". Is this soil now contaminated? Can I scoop off the algae and ammend the soil for re-use when it's time to plant, in the spring? And if I scoop the algae, can I add it to my compost, or should I discard it?

I bought Algonquian pumpkin/squash seed. An heirloom from the Abenaki tribe originally. It got my attention from a Hoss seed video. They were and are out of stock. Great lakes seeds has some. A long zucchini like pumpkin. Disease and pest resistant got my attention. Can be used as a summer squash when immature.
looking forward to pics and your insight on these later this year!

Question: I moved one of my greenstalks (vertical garden) into the greenhouse in the fall. It has developed an algae on top of some of the growing "pockets". Is this soil now contaminated? Can I scoop off the algae and ammend the soil for re-use when it's time to plant, in the spring? And if I scoop the algae, can I add it to my compost, or should I discard it?
How much algae are you talking? Personally, I wouldnt worry about it. But if you are, you could use some garden safe algae killer on it.

This past spring I bought some comfrey and lambs ear seeds but never planted them. Now that I'm planning this year's garden, I'm trying to decide WHERE to put them... 🤔 Hmmm....decisions, decisions....
make sure that comfrey goes in a place that you NEVER want to use for anything else. Comfrey is great, but it sets up permanent residency. I recommend putting one or 2 near your compost location and your chicken coop. My girls love to eat the leaves.

Make sure your comfrey is fully dead before composting it (it's a great compost strarter, but will root from the smallest living piece).

I've decided to try growing fodder for my girls. It's way too early to plant seeds for my garden, but I've got the January stir- crazies. If I don't have a project soon, I can't be held accountable 😀
Well, I have a "work-from-home" day today due to ice - It's dead quiet, though, in my "virtual office". I think I'll take a long lunch and jump into this fodder project.

I read online that someone used their birdseed to sprout their fodder with. I have bird seed. Sounds like a cheap and easy way to try it out and see if it works before I invest money in fancy tray systems :)

Otherwise, I'm just watching the rain fall and freeze and melt - temps are at 32/33 right now, which is a much appreciated change from last week. They are calling for 50 degrees on Friday!!!!! I may have to take a half day at work and go out and pick up all the fallen branches in the yard. I have a new raised bed I put in around my coop that I need to fill up this spring. What better way to cut down on my soil bill then to put in hugelkultur?!

(the garden is 18" wide x 18 deep and about 40 linear feet, wrapping around 3 sides of my coop. I took the tarp off yesterday morning when it looked like the cold wind was FINALLY done blowing.)

Attachments

• 1706025257758.jpeg
    1706025257758.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 1
Ugggh! When you have to call the plumber back because he didn’t call back ( in the time frame he said he would ) and then he wants to know when do you want to get this fixed?? We are a family of 7 living with no water!!!! Including 3 boys ages 6, 9 & 12. We want it fixed right away!! 😳
On another note, I found a hidden stash of eggs. 31 eggs. 30 of which were frozen and cracked. 😡
I’ve had to buy eggs 3 times this winter. I fed them all back to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom