What did you do in the garden today?

Snowy morning. We got about 1 1/2 inches to freshen up the dirty snow. Of course the temperatures are going up and we will get some heavy rain starting this evening. I only bought one dozen eggs this winter. DD bought me a dozen as “payment” for all the free eggs this past summer. I have a Columbian Wyandotte that started laying on 2 January. One of my Buff Orpington hens started laying about a week after that. It’s enough to keep me in eggs for now but I really wish a few of the other 7 hens would get their fluffy butts in gear. Question: is it safe to put the poop board scrapings on the garden beds now? I can’t plant anything in them until mid to late April at the earliest.

A plumber came by late this afternoon. $2,200 to just repair part of the line or $5,000 to replace the entire line all the way down to the meter ( over 300 ft through the woods).
I’m going with replacing the entire thing because I don’t want to have to do this again in a few months/years. He said he can get to it on Thursday.
I would do the same. Stinks, but you don't want to go through this again! Glad he got out there & there is water at the end of the tunnel (lol).

I would feed the frozen eggs back to the birds too, I won't eat them. I've been checking like 3-4 times a day during this cold. We got some snow overnight, but we're supposed to get rain soon, hopefully, wash it all away. The chickens won't come out of the coop. :rolleyes: I did have my old BR start laying a little bit again & then the 3 young girls never stopped so I get anywhere from 2-4 eggs a day, I've been buying recently too. We eat a lot of eggs here.

A fellow gardener friend here got me motivated to get my current seeds in order (by sending me some 🥳 ) so I placed an order with Seeds n Such. I'm excited to try this squash, it's supposedly parthenocarpic. As are the sweet success cukes, but I've grown them for a couple years & love them. Can't wait to see what my free seeds will be.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 8.05.43 PM.png

picked the truck up from the shop yesterday, ran errands...drove home.
A plumber came by late this afternoon. $2,200 to just repair part of the line or $5,000 to replace the entire line all the way down to the meter ( over 300 ft through the woods).
I’m going with replacing the entire thing because I don’t want to have to do this again in a few months/years. He said he can get to it on Thursday.
GOOD CALL! usually messing with outdoor plumbing in one spot screws up a bit in another. If he does the WHOLE thing, you have someone to yell at to fix it. If he just repairs the one bit, and another bit of the same line fails in two weeks from the jostling, or in empathy, he's back again on YOUR dime.

Day 4 in dense, can see the barn, fog. For all I know I wandered too far yesterday and fed someone else's livestock. Although, when I did get back to the house, I had alpaca spit in my hair, so I'm guessing I threw feed for my own beasts.

Charged the gator. She wouldn't start yesterday. I didn't plug him in when I stored her in the heated shop 2.5+ weeks ago. I was hoping I didn't loose the batteries. Turns out he was just plain hungry.

The truck is still acting up, or rather, I think she is. Quick bus stop run yesterday had her start at 14V and then drop to 12.75V at the end of a one mile trip home. Maybe the alternator just didn't kick in yet. I'm going to drive out the the next little town this morning and see how she does or IF she does. Grumble. Gremlins.

Seeds from Burpee came and are tucked away. April 1st is a LONG way away yet.
Live plants come later.

Still plenty of time for loom and sewing room work.
Goal this year is to get MUCH more loom work done.

You might want to check out how deep your water line is buried. I live in northern Minnesota, and I know my water line is buried way below the surface of the ground, but I did not know exactly how deep. I have never had a water line freeze up and break. We usually get a week or two of winter temps in that -35F to -40F temp range. So, I checked online to see how deep the water lines are buried in my area...

1706113579200.png

Since you are replacing your water lines, you might want to bury them deeper this time for added protection. Depending on the cost, it might be well worth it upfront instead of having to worry about freezing and breaking in the future at your current depth. In any case, I hope you don't have water freezing problems in the future.

I would feed the frozen eggs back to the birds too, I won't eat them. I've been checking like 3-4 times a day during this cold.

Yep, I will check the eggs 3X a day when it gets really cold outside. For me, really cold means the temps are down to -20F, or colder.

:idunno I am surprised to read that people won't eat a frozen and cracked egg. I'm not trying to convince anyone to do something that don't want to do, and certainly feeding eggs back to the chickens is not a waste of the eggs, but I would like to better understand what you and others are concerned about?

I have been eating frozen and cracked eggs for years and have never even thought twice about it. We sell our excess eggs to friends of the family, but never a frozen and/or cracked egg. But we eat all the frozen and cracked eggs at home and have never had any negative results.

Yep, I will check the eggs 3X a day when it gets really cold outside. For me, really cold means the temps are down to -20F, or colder.

:idunno I am surprised to read that people won't eat a frozen and cracked egg. I'm not trying to convince anyone to do something that don't want to do, and certainly feeding eggs back to the chickens is not a waste of the eggs, but I would like to better understand what you and others are concerned about?

I have been eating frozen and cracked eggs for years and have never even thought twice about it. We sell our excess eggs to friends of the family, but never a frozen and/or cracked egg. But we eat all the frozen and cracked eggs at home and have never had any negative results.
People are afraid of germs getting in through the crack..... I figure cooking kills such things.

I won't because our cracked and frozen eggs are sitting in some seriously questionable conditions.
If they've just been frozen, but have not craked, eh, I'll use them for baking and cooking or hardboiled NO problem.
OLD, like a pile of mystery eggs that have been frozen, nah, pass, no idea how many freeze thaw cycles, no idea how old they really are.

I'm building shelves for my studio for that very reason.
It's also how the bathroom got remodeled.
=========
Oh anyone who needs to know, I got wind that JoAnn Fabric maybe headed into Chapter 11.
We had the one in Grand Island close altogether last year.
The one here in Lincoln is looking sparse, but I don't know about Omaha.

So just in case you are a
Interesting. Theyre headquartered down the road from me and havent heard a word.

Back
Top Bottom