What did you do in the garden today?

OH I know I have mice, which is why he's there, plus the water.
No getting rid of the mice.
This has to be a HUGE black snake, no chance on him getting eggs. I don't leave them out long enough, and he's no threat to the hens/ THEY"RE enormous.
This thing has to be down a mouse warren.
Huge black snake...I forgot about the time, long ago, a large black snake did get into the old pigeon loft. One morning I saw a dead pigeon on the floor, it's head looked odd, like it was wet. When I looked closer, the neck seemed stretched & the dead pigeon's head, neck right up to where wings began, was...slimed? I was freaked out, what happened, then it hit me, something tried to swallow this bird & suffocated it. Sure enough I searched & found a large snake coiled up napping in a corner. That was my old coop & he slithered right in between the wire pen outside! (This was before I switched to half inch space welded wire). Took that fat thing for a long one-way relocation ride, too. The pigeon he smothered was a sweet special needs boy, a little simple minded but friendly as can be. I was so Ticked Off. 😠

About mice...I had a bad mouse infestation once. As soon as I changed the pens to the 1/2" welded wire, no more mice came in. I caught the rest with the battery traps that zap, & zapped 34 of them. No mice since then. No snakes in the pigeon loft or coop or pens either. That small hole welded wire is great. I realize rodents can gnaw through wood if they really want to get in. I try not to let any feed be available. That works for pigeons as they eat what they need but chickens need to peck all day long. Their feed is in feeders inside the coop. So far, I've been very lucky. Mice or rats are nasty critters. The foxes hunt them & I see them pouncing & catching various mice, moles & voles, so I hope they keep up with rodent patrol. So far so good. 🤞

Last edited:
If you (or anyone else) didn't know: If it sends up a stalk that curls around at the end in May/June, it's a hardneck variety. Cut the stalk (that sends more energy to the bulb; the stalk is its flower) and eat it! Those are called "scapes," and have a wonderful, mild garlic flavor. I lightly sauté mine in my stir fries. Very tasty!
Very good. Last year we had A LOT! we pickled several jars worth of scapes!

All the roosters in my bachelor pen have bite marks on their combs. Even the one who is separated by fencing from the others. There's some rat feces around the pen too... Wondering if the rats are attacking my roos? 👀
Yes, rats will bite. But I don’t think combs are the usual first place, but no experience with them.

A friend has several animal types in a dirt floor barn and small chickens coop next to the barn, surrounded by farm fields, no neighbors next door. I’m sure there was a normal background population of mice/rats, but nothing obvious. Well, now, it’s really obvious. A couple months ago, the bins that feed was stored in broke, and that gave the rats an enormous food supply for a while until it could be fixed/replaced. Now some of the animals have rat bites, and I think a chicken or two. Not sure. But there are holes all over, with new ones popping up. They are scurrying through the walls too. It didn’t take long for an explosion of rats. They are having an exterminator over soon, but it sounds like a big job- friend mentioned holes throughout garden and yard too - thought they were moles, but without the classic raised dirt tunnels typical of moles, I think they might have a very large population of rats they didn’t realize until they became obvious in the barn (where the feed was stored).

About mice...I had a bad mouse infestation once. As soon as I changed the pens to the 1/2" welded wire, no more mice came in.
1/2 HWC mouse catcher 😂

I thought the chickens would eat it but they haven't and I can't easily reach it.
IMG_20240312_131118595_HDR.jpg

The
Huge black snake...I forgot about the time, long ago, a large black snake did get into the old pigeon loft. One morning I saw a dead pigeon on the floor, it's head looked odd, like it was wet. When I looked closer, the neck seemed stretched & the dead pigeon's head, neck right up to where wings began, was...slimed? I was freaked out, what happened, then it hit me, something tried to swallow this bird & suffocated it. Sure enough I searched & found a large snake coiled up napping in a corner. That was my old coop & he slithered right in between the wire pen outside! (This was before I switched to half inch space welded wire). Took that fat thing for a long one-way relocation ride, too. The pigeon he smothered was a sweet special needs boy, a little simple minded but friendly as can be. I was so Ticked Off. 😠

About mice...I had a bad mouse infestation once. As soon as I changed the pens to the 1/2" welded wire, no more mice came in. I caught the rest with the battery traps that zap, & zapped 34 of them. No mice since then. No snakes in the pigeon loft or coop or pens either. That small hole welded wire is great. I realize rodents can gnaw through wood if they really want to get in. I try not to let any feed be available. That works for pigeons as they eat what they need but chickens need to peck all day long. Their feed is in feeders inside the coop. So far, I've been very lucky. Mice or rats are nasty critters. The foxes hunt them & I see them pouncing & catching various mice, moles & voles, so I hope they keep up with rodent patrol. So far so good. 🤞
The mice around my coops are living underneath them and/or coming through the coop door in the daytime.

One coop is built on top of pallets. I used subfloor on top of the pallet. The rats/mice have chewed through a spot where two subfloor pieces join together.

The other coop is on a concrete pad. The mice have actually tunneled underneath the concrete. Pretty sure they are coming in the door in the daytime.

There's also tons of underground tunnels around the whole area. I have 2 barn cats who do try to catch them but I think there's too many for them to make much of a dent.

I need to take a page out of your book & do this, too!
Hello, I got inspired by this lady, she has another video on how to maintain a sour dough starter. An important point of this video is to use unbleached flour. The bad comments I see under the starter culture on amazon is probably due to the flour they used. Easy Peezy :love

Last edited:
I reach the point where I don't eat my ripe sun gold and sun sugar cherry tomatoes anymore, so I got an idea to use them for sauce and I am glad I did. I put a bowl of cherry tomatoes and one medium size red tomato in my blender with garlic and onions. Then I reduced the liquid out on the stove with chicken bouillon, mushroom extract, salt, fresh Greek oregano, dry Italian season, butter and heavy whipping cream to taste. This is how pizza sauce should be made, they are missing the cream.

Last edited:
I’ve being doing sourdough for years now however my original culture that I made from scratch finally died of neglect. I purchased some San Francisco starter, I think it was likely 2 years ago and I really like it. I’m being more attentive to this culture. Good luck with your baking.
It's on my bucket list, this is something I must try.

Back
Top Bottom