What did you do with your flock today?

What did you get for her 4-H project?? They look like they are buff colored? How exciting! I lead my daughter's 4-H chicken project--it's a lot of fun when I am not having to remind her to take care of them :D Congrats on the new babies!!
We were supposed to get Rhode Island Reds but the shipment was delayed to our local Rural King so we ended up with Isa Browns. They are SO friendly! They were more than happy to get up in our hands yesterday as soon as we got home. I believe they are a little over a week old, we asked the store employee but they weren't able to tell us exactly. I don't think I will have the same problem with getting my daughter to take care of the chicks, she is very enthusiastic about them, hopefully that will continue. My family has zero experience with chickens but we are all researching best practices that will also fit our budget and ability.

I was reading about the storms headed your way--looks like there could be some serious weather in that front :( I hope you and @Gammas Bearded Babies miss the worst of it! ❤️
I wasn’t sure if @Gammas Bearded Babies was gonna get this too. I hope if so you stay safe lady!! Right now I’m getting rain and a little wind. I was able to seal the goats roof from rain before it got here. I have a container ready for the broody hens and leashes ready to go get the goats. We are in such flat land that I’m more worried about that. This house has stood for over 100 years but with so much going on in this world…it would be my luck that our house will be flattened. 😢😢😭😭

We have some severe storms coming today. Tornados expected and I’m blessed that I don’t have any eggs in the incubator….but I do have 2 hens on eggs outside. We are waiting to see how bad the weather is going to get before I move them inside. I don’t plan on moving all the chickens though. I wish I could but it will just be too hard.
I sure hope you guys stay safe. Do you have underground or basement shelter for your family in case a tornado does whip up? :hugs

How are things looking your way @Gammas Bearded Babies ?
We just got our first ever chicks yesterday for my daughter's 4-H project. Even though we were worried they all seemed to be perfectly content over night in the brooder we bought. This is my daughter after school today hand feeding her babies, they seem more than happy to see her, especially with food in her hand!
Congrats on the new chicks and 4-h! ❤️

We were supposed to get Rhode Island Reds but the shipment was delayed to our local Rural King so we ended up with Isa Browns. They are SO friendly! They were more than happy to get up in our hands yesterday as soon as we got home. I believe they are a little over a week old, we asked the store employee but they weren't able to tell us exactly. I don't think I will have the same problem with getting my daughter to take care of the chicks, she is very enthusiastic about them, hopefully that will continue. My family has zero experience with chickens but we are all researching best practices that will also fit our budget and ability.
How fun! I hope your family has a blast with them. I just can’t imagine life without chickens anymore 😍

Today I made some changes to coop arrangements and the chickens involved were quite displeased! Bruno and his OD ladies had the biggest disruption—I’ve had several inquire about OD eggs this year so I am isolating them so I can ship off to a couple people by mid-May. Hopefully Bruno will settle in—I feel like his look at me says he’s not going to forgive me quickly 🥴🥴

We also had to dig out a bunch of coop bedding to find the hole the rats had created. They finally managed to chew a hole in the horse stall mat that I used ans flooring. So I used hardware cloth annd then laid MORE pavers on top. Pretty soon the flirting will be anll pavers 🤦🏼‍♀️ And the Koop Clean straw did it again! Spread it thru the muddy run and today—no mud! Love that stuff and it entertains the chickens for hours 😍 Also gave the quail soil a turn and then topped it with eco flake and they were so excited 😍😍

Attachments

• F6C872FF-2733-4907-BC22-3CEC46EAEE8E.jpeg
    F6C872FF-2733-4907-BC22-3CEC46EAEE8E.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 85602D6E-E8A8-43C2-BF21-609469158388.jpeg
    85602D6E-E8A8-43C2-BF21-609469158388.jpeg
    839.1 KB · Views: 2
  • C506CEF5-3157-44D7-9C80-743AC5F7D899.jpeg
    C506CEF5-3157-44D7-9C80-743AC5F7D899.jpeg
    768.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 0A2957D3-F994-47FA-94C2-85B2FEFB128D.jpeg
    0A2957D3-F994-47FA-94C2-85B2FEFB128D.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 3DC223F7-63E2-4122-A670-E1ECA53F3280.jpeg
    3DC223F7-63E2-4122-A670-E1ECA53F3280.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 2
  • F880B0C8-D1B8-4B2F-865C-D0E88E12338E.jpeg
    F880B0C8-D1B8-4B2F-865C-D0E88E12338E.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 237AF2B1-EE5A-4535-B859-BB7D1006666F.jpeg
    237AF2B1-EE5A-4535-B859-BB7D1006666F.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 2
Today I made some changes to coop arrangements and the chickens involved were quite displeased! Bruno and his OD ladies had the biggest disruption—I’ve had several inquire about OD eggs this year so I am isolating them so I can ship off to a couple people by mid-May. Hopefully Bruno will settle in—I feel like his look at me says he’s not going to forgive me quickly 🥴🥴

We also had to dig out a bunch of coop bedding to find the hole the rats had created. They finally managed to chew a hole in the horse stall mat that I used ans flooring. So I used hardware cloth annd then laid MORE pavers on top. Pretty soon the flirting will be anll pavers 🤦🏼‍♀️ And the Koop Clean straw did it again! Spread it thru the muddy run and today—no mud! Love that stuff and it entertains the chickens for hours 😍 Also gave the quail soil a turn and then topped it with eco flake and they were so excited 😍😍
Oh my god! 🤣 If looks could kill...

:welcomeWelcome to our community! You're in the best place for all things poultry. I started with ISAs, and they are friendly. Have fun learning and growing with them. Lots of fantastic resources and knowledgeable people here. Looking forward to your adventures!

Back
Top Bottom