What did you do with your flock today?

Another big day for us here on the Doomstead. The man of the house built poo boards and roosts in the barn, and the chicks played in the chicken tractor. We moved them into the coop at the end of the day. For about an hour all seemed normal. Now they seem agitated, trying to jump out, making a lot of noise. We went into the barn and crouched down to examine them, see if anyone was hurt -- and one by one, they all started jumping up on us, "roosting" on our legs and arms, anywhere they could crowd on.

We have 2 that are extremely friendly and jump up all the time, but the others seemed to have no interest. Tonight that all changed. I don't know if they're freaked out by the new setup in the barn, or if they smell a predator, or if they're just suddenly warming up to us. We've been carrying them back and forth one by one from the barn to the tractor every day for the past 3 days, hoping to get them used to handling.

Fingers crossed that everything is all right. I know it'll be a restless night, I'll be a little worried about them. I spent a little too long reading about weasel attacks :hmm

Who needs social media when you have watching chickens to make the hours of your day mysteriously disappear?
Now I have to start naming chickens for magicians 🤣
Well, skies look clear-ish enough to hang some wash & hope 🤞 and start to clean up the soggy mess. As much as I love the rain, I'm hoping for at least semi clear skies.
Bonus day! Thought I was picking up dh today but not till tomorrow! A little pressure off. Yippee!
Chickens will be happy for some kinder weather too. Though they have been absolute champs about everything and managed to give me 15 eggs yesterday- one got broke in the nest box because we did not have enough mess and drama around here.
Forgot photos of our visitorView attachment 3452718View attachment 3452719
Most exciting thing (next to weather) to happen in their run for awhile.View attachment 3452720
Welp. Better go tend to the flock. Happy Sunday all!
That visitor really is handsome. Your birds look like fair visitors checking out the attractions 😂
Another big day for us here on the Doomstead. The man of the house built poo boards and roosts in the barn, and the chicks played in the chicken tractor. We moved them into the coop at the end of the day. For about an hour all seemed normal. Now they seem agitated, trying to jump out, making a lot of noise. We went into the barn and crouched down to examine them, see if anyone was hurt -- and one by one, they all started jumping up on us, "roosting" on our legs and arms, anywhere they could crowd on.

We have 2 that are extremely friendly and jump up all the time, but the others seemed to have no interest. Tonight that all changed. I don't know if they're freaked out by the new setup in the barn, or if they smell a predator, or if they're just suddenly warming up to us. We've been carrying them back and forth one by one from the barn to the tractor every day for the past 3 days, hoping to get them used to handling.

Fingers crossed that everything is all right. I know it'll be a restless night, I'll be a little worried about them. I spent a little too long reading about weasel attacks :hmm
Betting they got sleepy and upset that they couldn't reach their usual bed😂 If so, it'll pass in a few days

Snookies feathering and looking better. She's very energetic and amazingly cuddly. Can't believe she was so wild and now so tame! Guessing she was one lonely baby and even a weird human mom beats nothing. Think Im going to give her another Vaseline rub down. Luckily she really enjoys that.
20230402_204305.jpg
20230402_204300.jpg

Snookies feathering and looking better. She's very energetic and amazingly cuddly. Can't believe she was so wild and now so tame! Guessing she was one lonely baby and even a weird human mom beats nothing. Think Im going to give her another Vaseline rub down. Luckily she really enjoys that.View attachment 3453540View attachment 3453541
:love adorable!

👇 Sounds like a boy 😂😂😂 well, whatever you have ♡♡ it is loved, that's forsure!
She's very energetic and amazingly cuddly.

Snookies feathering and looking better. She's very energetic and amazingly cuddly. Can't believe she was so wild and now so tame! Guessing she was one lonely baby and even a weird human mom beats nothing. Think Im going to give her another Vaseline rub down. Luckily she really enjoys that.View attachment 3453540View attachment 3453541
Awww Snookies just knows where it’s safe and comfortable 😍 I can’t wait to see her in all her feathered glory!

Today was a low key recovery day and more rat battles!! They managed to move the brick and dig enough around it to get in. They are relentless little sh**s!!

I had the kids bring in their 4-H birds and practice. We decided Ruby is Aria’s best shot. He’s come a long ways from the insecure biter he was thru his teens! He’s still a bit of a weirdo but he’s gentle and does what you ask without flipping out ❤️ At the last poultry show Aria paid to get him some professional photos—isn’t he just so handsome? 😍

C935B3DA-D18A-4594-8398-14C9FE0B3FF2.jpeg

ACFAAA78-8E09-4EA0-B1B7-180C763B6205.jpeg

I moved my November babies plus Wilhelm into the general population bantam run two days to share the red barn coop with Sia and Daisy and they are slowly getting comfortable. The other bantams have been very unconcerned about them—but they have acted as if they’ve been placed in a terrifying scenario. The first day they refused to leave the coop…and the last two nights we’ve had to collect them so they’d go to bed. Butters is definitely the bravest…:)
DF37743B-1BE0-43DB-89C9-28CA03260286.jpeg

Wilhelm is the biggest drama queen and spends his time in a corned with his head underneath the waterer or thru the fence bars. No one is even near him 😆 Aria goes in the run and he runs to her like “save me from these heathens!” 😆 I do feel bad for him though—he was really dependent on Taunus to protect him 😢 He relied on her and now he’s alone. He has not bonded with the other two bobtails or the November crew. I thought maybe since Oliver was alone as the only boy they might hit it off but nope. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I also brought Ducky in a few days ago, as I found her crammed in a corner of her run sort of weak and rather unresponsive and I was sure she wouldn’t make it through the day. But she’s been getting my magic cocktail of food and some general meds for four days and seems almost 100% again 🎉🎉 She’s a really sweet girl and prefers sitting on me than being alone in her crate, so we hung out tonight.
3516F23F-E3EB-4EDD-9987-A61DD568A067.jpeg

17803121-00C4-4ED4-9FD6-53802F2094D2.jpeg

And lastly, Aria helped clean the brooder and then “entertained” the babies 😍
926F1B7F-DBDD-4089-ADD1-F51F8F7E7E24.jpeg

Aww, she looks so much better. And happier. Think you just got yourself a special "lap chicken" 😍

Awe I wondered how the lil baby was doin! The feathers are comin in! Such a cutie!!!
Today was a low key recovery day and more rat battles!! They managed to move the brick and dig enough around it to get in. They are relentless little sh**s!!

I had the kids bring in their 4-H birds and practice. We decided Ruby is Aria’s best shot. He’s come a long ways from the insecure biter he was thru his teens! He’s still a bit of a weirdo but he’s gentle and does what you ask without flipping out ❤️ At the last poultry show Aria paid to get him some professional photos—isn’t he just so handsome? 😍

View attachment 3453594
View attachment 3453595

I moved my November babies plus Wilhelm into the general population bantam run two days to share the red barn coop with Sia and Daisy and they are slowly getting comfortable. The other bantams have been very unconcerned about them—but they have acted as if they’ve been placed in a terrifying scenario. The first day they refused to leave the coop…and the last two nights we’ve had to collect them so they’d go to bed. Butters is definitely the bravest…:)
View attachment 3453599
Wilhelm is the biggest drama queen and spends his time in a corned with his head underneath the waterer or thru the fence bars. No one is even near him 😆 Aria goes in the run and he runs to her like “save me from these heathens!” 😆 I do feel bad for him though—he was really dependent on Taunus to protect him 😢 He relied on her and now he’s alone. He has not bonded with the other two bobtails or the November crew. I thought maybe since Oliver was alone as the only boy they might hit it off but nope. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I also brought Ducky in a few days ago, as I found her crammed in a corner of her run sort of weak and rather unresponsive and I was sure she wouldn’t make it through the day. But she’s been getting my magic cocktail of food and some general meds for four days and seems almost 100% again 🎉🎉 She’s a really sweet girl and prefers sitting on me than being alone in her crate, so we hung out tonight.
View attachment 3453597
View attachment 3453598

And lastly, Aria helped clean the brooder and then “entertained” the babies 😍
View attachment 3453600
Ruby is gorgeous!
I don't see how you are managing everything kurby! These rats are relentless! Thankful yall got a low key day though! Those are crucial when we are dealing with so much!
Aria is a sweetheart! How old is she?

Finally a day with sunshine & less wind! I hope it's still nice after work. Once I get back home it's chore mode. Romeo & Misty will go outside, fesh chickweed & sunshine. I have some Ajuga to plant, Hostas to thin out & replant, Lamb's Ear to dig up & move some to another area, wild berries to plant, tilling to do, I can pick up all the windblown debris & clean up the yard as I saw someone's paper bags hung up in my evergreens, get the chickens out free ranging, finally no wind so I can burn yard debris in the firepit...I really look forward to yardwork & chicken time. I need to let the pigeons out to free fly if the hawks are not here, & the 4 guineas out along with the chickens & I can do outdoor chores, hang out there to make sure everyone plays nice. Honestly, it's my most favorite time. 😍 🐔 Hopefully, some days off going forward won't be a windy rainy mess like the past 2 months. This morning there was actually frost on the windshield 6am, frost on the grass and the deck was like a skating rink as I took the trash out this morning. We had overnight temperatures in the 30s but today inland it might hit 70, here on the shore it'll be 50s and Sunny, without wind, yeah I will take that!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom