What did you do with your flock today?

Awe I wondered how the lil baby was doin! The feathers are comin in! Such a cutie!!!

Ruby is gorgeous!
I don't see how you are managing everything kurby! These rats are relentless! Thankful yall got a low key day though! Those are crucial when we are dealing with so much!
Aria is a sweetheart! How old is she?
Thanks, I agree! He's such a good boy!

Yes, the rats are going to be the death of me. I fill a hole they find another...and it looks like a nest of babies that are next door and coming in under the fence right into the coop to eat! Can't leave the food out, can't keep the food in...they refuse to use the live traps, they can't be poisoned...sooo, I relented and we are setting up snap traps everywhere that animals and children can't go and we've killed three so far. It feels satisfying and sad at the same time. I didn't want to kill them, but they have driven me to this as a last resort!!

Aria is 9, going on 10 in June! She is growing up so fast and definitely has a soft heart for the chickens ❤️

Good morning and Happy Monday!
Glorious day over here. Classic beauty after the rains. Sunny with partial clouds, everything is washed clean and fresh and .... oh crap. Forgot to open the run sidedoor last night... oops. Bunch of stink eye.
20230403_063035.jpg

Anywho, gotta go pick up my man at the airport or head out the door to do so soon. Got some town chores, feeding etc to do also.
Saving eggs for the sailor again. He is headed over to BI now. Not sure when or if he is headed to the Marquesas.
Back to bags after I get home. I get to cut a new batch that I am excited about. Managed to get my last 2 stands filled so all stands should be good for a week or so?
Have a wonderful day all! Stay well and safe and smart!

10 whole days!!! Whoohoo!
Can't wait to see all you get to do!

I am so sorry! That's gotta be so difficult to deal with!

We did this time - thank you for checking in on us!

Oh they are adorable!!!

We got by without incident this time! Thank God!!!

That face! Idk hopefully he will!!!

Oh my! Is that due to rheumatoid? I've heard of it but never talked to anyone that had it done.
No, not that, thankfully. It is called use arthritis. I call it Nintendo thumb. Therefore I have it in both hands. Started when I mashed the controller too much/ hard when playing with my boys. Then knitting, crocheting, weeding, anything to do with grasping only made it worsen with time. Healing day by day. Thanks for checking on me.
@FBMcrazy8 @Gammas Bearded Babies , so thankful the last storm missed ya'll.
@TropicalBabies We know you will accomplish a lot in 10 days.
The girls laid a dozen eggs yesterday.

Last edited:

Yes, the rats are going to be the death of me. I fill a hole they find another...and it looks like a nest of babies that are next door and coming in under the fence right into the coop to eat! Can't leave the food out, can't keep the food in...they refuse to use the live traps, they can't be poisoned...sooo, I relented and we are setting up snap traps everywhere that animals and children can't go and we've killed three so far. It feels satisfying and sad at the same time. I didn't want to kill them, but they have driven me to this as a last resort!!

Aria is 9, going on 10 in June! She is growing up so fast and definitely has a soft heart for the chickens ❤️
Rats are smart. I gave up and bought two treadle feeders. Haven't seen evidence of any more tunneling or rat poop since. Good luck on your battle. May you be victorious.

Today was a low key recovery day and more rat battles!! They managed to move the brick and dig enough around it to get in. They are relentless little sh**s!!

I had the kids bring in their 4-H birds and practice. We decided Ruby is Aria’s best shot. He’s come a long ways from the insecure biter he was thru his teens! He’s still a bit of a weirdo but he’s gentle and does what you ask without flipping out ❤️ At the last poultry show Aria paid to get him some professional photos—isn’t he just so handsome? 😍

View attachment 3453594
View attachment 3453595

I moved my November babies plus Wilhelm into the general population bantam run two days to share the red barn coop with Sia and Daisy and they are slowly getting comfortable. The other bantams have been very unconcerned about them—but they have acted as if they’ve been placed in a terrifying scenario. The first day they refused to leave the coop…and the last two nights we’ve had to collect them so they’d go to bed. Butters is definitely the bravest…:)
View attachment 3453599
Wilhelm is the biggest drama queen and spends his time in a corned with his head underneath the waterer or thru the fence bars. No one is even near him 😆 Aria goes in the run and he runs to her like “save me from these heathens!” 😆 I do feel bad for him though—he was really dependent on Taunus to protect him 😢 He relied on her and now he’s alone. He has not bonded with the other two bobtails or the November crew. I thought maybe since Oliver was alone as the only boy they might hit it off but nope. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I also brought Ducky in a few days ago, as I found her crammed in a corner of her run sort of weak and rather unresponsive and I was sure she wouldn’t make it through the day. But she’s been getting my magic cocktail of food and some general meds for four days and seems almost 100% again 🎉🎉 She’s a really sweet girl and prefers sitting on me than being alone in her crate, so we hung out tonight.
View attachment 3453597
View attachment 3453598

And lastly, Aria helped clean the brooder and then “entertained” the babies 😍
View attachment 3453600
Professional chicken pics! I love them ❤️ Glad Ducky's ok!
Finally a day with sunshine & less wind! I hope it's still nice after work. Once I get back home it's chore mode. Romeo & Misty will go outside, fesh chickweed & sunshine. I have some Ajuga to plant, Hostas to thin out & replant, Lamb's Ear to dig up & move some to another area, wild berries to plant, tilling to do, I can pick up all the windblown debris & clean up the yard as I saw someone's paper bags hung up in my evergreens, get the chickens out free ranging, finally no wind so I can burn yard debris in the firepit...I really look forward to yardwork & chicken time. I need to let the pigeons out to free fly if the hawks are not here, & the 4 guineas out along with the chickens & I can do outdoor chores, hang out there to make sure everyone plays nice. Honestly, it's my most favorite time. 😍 🐔 Hopefully, some days off going forward won't be a windy rainy mess like the past 2 months. This morning there was actually frost on the windshield 6am, frost on the grass and the deck was like a skating rink as I took the trash out this morning. We had overnight temperatures in the 30s but today inland it might hit 70, here on the shore it'll be 50s and Sunny, without wind, yeah I will take that!
Sounds like a full life ❤️ Hope the wind dies down for everyone. I can hear it carrying on outside right now...o I am tired of the winds this year!
Good morning and Happy Monday!
Glorious day over here. Classic beauty after the rains. Sunny with partial clouds, everything is washed clean and fresh and .... oh crap. Forgot to open the run sidedoor last night... oops. Bunch of stink eye.View attachment 3453952
Anywho, gotta go pick up my man at the airport or head out the door to do so soon. Got some town chores, feeding etc to do also.
Saving eggs for the sailor again. He is headed over to BI now. Not sure when or if he is headed to the Marquesas.
Back to bags after I get home. I get to cut a new batch that I am excited about. Managed to get my last 2 stands filled so all stands should be good for a week or so?
Have a wonderful day all! Stay well and safe and smart!
Happy reunion with your sweety! ❤️
No, not that, thankfully. It is called use arthritis. I call it Nintendo thumb. Therefore I have it in both hands. Started when I mashed the controller too much/ hard when playing with my boys. Then knitting, crocheting, weeding, anything to do with grasping only made it worsen with time. Healing day by day. Thanks for checking on me.
@FBMcrazy8 @Gammas Bearded Babies , so thankful the last storm missed ya'll.
@TropicalBabies We know you will accomplish a lot in 10 days.
The girls laid a dozen eggs yesterday.
Aw... sounds like you made some good memories with that thumb before it went bad ❤️ Hows it healing?

She's so precious! I luv whenever kids these days take an interest in outdoor activities!
I told my DH over weekend that we never see a soul outside their homes! We are in a subdivision...you'd think we'd see somebody besides just coming and going in cars.
Yeah I'd end up doing the same after all you’ve been through with those dang thangs!
Bunch of stink eye.
Oh yeah! But they are such cuties!!!

@PopoMyers you are a good one for playing those games with em! I never got the hang of it so I'd just pester my son when he used to play lol!

Trying desperately to finish up this addition...slowly making progress with the puzzle coop LOL

Attachments

• 20230329_160227.jpg
    20230329_160227.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
She's so precious! I luv whenever kids these days take an interest in outdoor activities!
I told my DH over weekend that we never see a soul outside their homes! We are in a subdivision...you'd think we'd see somebody besides just coming and going in cars.
Yeah I'd end up doing the same after all you’ve been through with those dang thangs!

@PopoMyers you are a good one for playing those games with em! I never got the hang of it so I'd just pester my son when he used to play lol!

Trying desperately to finish up this addition...slowly making progress with the puzzle coop LOL
Ohhh it's looking good!! You are making great progress!! We decided we are too far out in progress so we opted to buy runs to attach to the Cooplex so progress is going to pick up again starting next weekend when I get back from visiting my Mom up in Boise.

We spent some time digging out coop bedding today and laid down a big swath of hardware cloth and then topped it with bricks and pavers and fresh bedding. I went to check after that on my quail and their new waterer which kept leaking. Found a hole and an empty feeder—so I know the rats found the hole in my hardware cloth. 😢 I refilled the feeder, grabbed some hardware cloth and covered the hole. Then noticed my quail Earl the Pearl was limping so I picked him up and found a much more dire issue. 😢😢 He appears to have been gnawed on by a rat 😩😢 Sighhhhh…so I grabbed him and brought him inside for antibiotics and antiseptics and a quiet space to heal.

D6C16F46-93F6-4381-9AFD-47B1F902CA15.jpeg

BDEFD473-696F-4E5C-B06D-39442442C474.jpeg

87AAA0F9-4A8E-4A26-9F9C-22263659F029.jpeg

He’s just the sweetest boy, I hope he makes it 😢

That's looking really good!
Ohhh it's looking good!! You are making great progress!! We decided we are too far out in progress so we opted to buy runs to attach to the Cooplex so progress is going to pick up again starting next weekend when I get back from visiting my Mom up in Boise.

We spent some time digging out coop bedding today and laid down a big swath of hardware cloth and then topped it with bricks and pavers and fresh bedding. I went to check after that on my quail and their new waterer which kept leaking. Found a hole and an empty feeder—so I know the rats found the hole in my hardware cloth. 😢 I refilled the feeder, grabbed some hardware cloth and covered the hole. Then noticed my quail Earl the Pearl was limping so I picked him up and found a much more dire issue. 😢😢 He appears to have been gnawed on by a rat 😩😢 Sighhhhh…so I grabbed him and brought him inside for antibiotics and antiseptics and a quiet space to heal.

View attachment 3454243
View attachment 3454244
View attachment 3454245
He’s just the sweetest boy, I hope he makes it 😢
Wow...poor baby! Hope he makes it through ok.
Also hope their coops secure now...those rats are really putting you through the wringer.

Back
Top Bottom