What did you do with your flock today?

In other news (and then I'll stop posting until at least Wednesday because no flock time tomorrow due to a cold front and 100% chance of rain) my husband just informed me that our White Rock x hen who we named Peggy Hill because of her large feet is now Hank Hill because he began crowing this afternoon 😂😂😂

Aloha gang. It is so darn hot (yesterday and) today that I turned on sprinklers and opened the run door to let the flock out to play/fend for themselves/cool off. Poor things. Going to cut up some watermelon for them now. Missing Koke'e.
Wow! I don’t blame you for missing the higher elevations! I feel this way from like May-September here 😩 I HATE summers here haha.

In other news (and then I'll stop posting until at least Wednesday because no flock time tomorrow due to a cold front and 100% chance of rain) my husband just informed me that our White Rock x hen who we named Peggy Hill because of her large feet is now Hank Hill because he began crowing this afternoon 😂😂😂
Haha that’s funny! Hank sounds very pretty or I should say handsome! My bantam cochin boy tried crowing for the first time today and I came running over worried one of the chickens was dying but it was just Emilio trying to crow 😂😂 what an awful sound he made! I hope it improves hehehe.

Wow! I don’t blame you for missing the higher elevations! I feel this way from like May-September here 😩 I HATE summers here haha.
Feel like my soul is crying or maybe that's just eyeball sweat 😪 Got next to nothing done cept hydrate... and nap 😴 poor critters, them too. One bonus is the watermelon is kinda seedy and not that sweet so chickens will get to snack on that for a few. Plus I have frozen star fruit for them yum! Seems summer was just late this year.
What do your Temps and humidity do @kurby? Has it really cooled already?! A bit happy jealous 😋
Well, the zombies let me sleep 5 hours straight last eve, the ferrets got a new toy from a friend and Forest loves his daddy and loves being a farm kitty. He caught 2 morning doves and a lizard (that I promptly fed to the chickens) that I know of and is possibly napping in the new nest box.
20211024_161131.jpg
20211026_120916.jpg
20211025_175348.jpg

Feel like my soul is crying or maybe that's just eyeball sweat 😪 Got next to nothing done cept hydrate... and nap 😴 poor critters, them too. One bonus is the watermelon is kinda seedy and not that sweet so chickens will get to snack on that for a few. Plus I have frozen star fruit for them yum! Seems summer was just late this year.
What do your Temps and humidity do @kurby? Has it really cooled already?! A bit happy jealous 😋
Well, the zombies let me sleep 5 hours straight last eve, the ferrets got a new toy from a friend and Forest loves his daddy and loves being a farm kitty. He caught 2 morning doves and a lizard (that I promptly fed to the chickens) that I know of and is possibly napping in the new nest box.View attachment 2879518View attachment 2879514View attachment 2879515
Awww Forest does look very happy 😍 and those babies look like trouble haha 😆

This summer most of June, July and August was over 100…it was awful! Thankfully we don’t get humidity really or I would probably melt and die 😆 The switch from summer to fall happened almost over night and now our highs are in the 60s and partly cloudy! I would happily live where it never gets over 65…like, ever 😆 I blame my Scandinavian ancestors! Hehe. I do not envy you and your hot day today. I don’t wanna be hot again for at least 5 months 🤞🏻🤞🏻

The chickens and quail are definitely adjusting slowly to the new temps. They seem kind of mellow and doing a lot more cuddle puddles to stay warm. And Puff is more content to sit on me and steal my warmth hehe. I’m not sad about it 😁 I actually think some of my pullets may be closer to POL than I realized too. Some of their combs seem redder and bigger than even a week ago. And Mr Eevee is more interested in a couple of them in particular! They however are not okay with it. So not quite there 😄 but the laying Silkie has given me 4 eggs in 5 days…I love her 🥰

I decided to do a full cage clean out of my 13 baby quail .well button quail can fly ended up with quail jumping out box and me trying to catch them lol .🤣🤣was funny I had to stop and laugh as just looked like a wee tiny chicken running 🤣🤣5 came back but one we named chicken legs was all over the house she or he can run funny to watch 🤣🤣meet chicken legs .should have named it road runner 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 20211025_181936.jpg
    20211025_181936.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 1
I decided to do a full cage clean out of my 13 baby quail .well button quail can fly ended up with quail jumping out box and me trying to catch them lol .🤣🤣was funny I had to stop and laugh as just looked like a wee tiny chicken running 🤣🤣5 came back but one we named chicken legs was all over the house she or he can run funny to watch 🤣🤣meet chicken legs .should have named it road runner 🤣🤣
Hehe! Quail are fast little buggers!! I can only imagine how much tougher button quail are since they’re so tiny! 😆 Chicken legs is quite an awesome name for a quail, but you may be right that road runner is more fitting haha! I did a full quail cage clean out today as well and my daughter was chasing two of them around the garden with a butterfly net while the rooster made his warning crows that sound like a dinosaur 😆 quail are always an adventure!! Chicken legs is cute!! 😍

Back
Top Bottom