What did you do with your flock today?

Waiting for photos of puppies @pennyJo1960 and ponies @LEMAYTXCKNCOUNSELOR :pop and chicken statues @FrankieDoodle

Did some chick & cockerel shuffling. Things are a bit more settled now.
First egg in new boxes! Don't know where the girls are smuggling the rest, obviously a new hiding spot they are all in on and the bad habit they learned from the mountain is continuing on. Soon as I find it I am locking their cute fluffy butts up in the run.
Decent report from the docs. Hand is going in the right direction.
Still supper hot and humid here but with increased trades that are wrapping around the island and that is pleasant.

So I think one of my chickens seems to have sour crop I think. All the sudden her crop is huge and has been that way all day and feels squishy but like a water balloon?? What’s the best first thing to do? Olive oil? I massaged it some today…but I’m not sure how to do it without potentially drowning her or something 🥴😩

On a positive note, I got my daughter all decked out so she knows how to put things on for tomorrow’s day at school! :-D She wanted to look like her favorite chicken Aria Jr. We went for yellow legs so others would know what she is, even though Aria Jr. legs are pink and gray :)

Attachments

• 6EE88C8A-C994-4548-B374-3B246CA04A50.jpeg
    6EE88C8A-C994-4548-B374-3B246CA04A50.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 1
  • D314B7A6-C726-45D7-BF26-E9ED82C1222E.jpeg
    D314B7A6-C726-45D7-BF26-E9ED82C1222E.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 1
So I think one of my chickens seems to have sour crop I think. All the sudden her crop is huge and has been that way all day and feels squishy but like a water balloon?? What’s the best first thing to do? Olive oil? I massaged it some today…but I’m not sure how to do it without potentially drowning her or something 🥴😩

On a positive note, I got my daughter all decked out so she knows how to put things on for tomorrow’s day at school! :-D She wanted to look like her favorite chicken Aria Jr. We went for yellow legs so others would know what she is, even though Aria Jr. legs are pink and gray :)
Oh no. :(
Does her breath smell sour at all?
I don't think the oil is necessary, since that's usually used to treat impacted crop. When you're massaging her crop, I think you're supposed to go in a slightly upward, circular motion.
Personally, I've always fed them a scrambled eggs and a little bit of yogurt when that happens to my girls, but I've seen a few people say you shouldn't feed them anything. :idunno I've never had issues from feeding them (as long as you're not force feeding them), but it's something to consider.
I'd recommend taking a look at the articles. I found a few of them that seem helpful. If you want me to link them let me know. I hope your girl feels better soon!

I love your daughters costume!

Oh no. :(
Does her breath smell sour at all?
I don't think the oil is necessary, since that's usually used to treat impacted crop. When you're massaging her crop, I think you're supposed to go in a slightly upward, circular motion.
Personally, I've always fed them a scrambled eggs and a little bit of yogurt when that happens to my girls, but I've seen a few people say you shouldn't feed them anything. :idunno I've never had issues from feeding them (as long as you're not force feeding them), but it's something to consider.
I'd recommend taking a look at the articles. I found a few of them that seem helpful. If you want me to link them let me know. I hope your girl feels better soon!

I love your daughters costume!
Ok, that’s good to know, I will try some eggs tomorrow and see if that helps any. She doesn’t smell sour but her crop went from normal to giant in just one day…could it be something else? I’m assuming pendulous crop is something else? I didn’t feel anything hard, it feels more waterlogged…like a water balloon. I’d love the links to the ones you have found most useful! Thanks!

My daughter was very excited about her costume and told me I had to share with my “chicken friends online” 😆 she’s so funny. So I will tell her you liked it! 😍

Ok, that’s good to know, I will try some eggs tomorrow and see if that helps any. She doesn’t smell sour but her crop went from normal to giant in just one day…could it be something else? I’m assuming pendulous crop is something else? I didn’t feel anything hard, it feels more waterlogged…like a water balloon. I’d love the links to the ones you have found most useful! Thanks!

My daughter was very excited about her costume and told me I had to share with my “chicken friends online” 😆 she’s so funny. So I will tell her you liked it! 😍
That's weird, IME sour crop breath always smells bad. Check it tomorrow morning and see if it emptied.
I don't know a lot about pendulous crop, so I can't help you there.

Here's a few of them. They might not be what you're looking for.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sour-crop-treatment-naturally-medically.73449/

Back
Top Bottom