What did you do with your flock today?

Good morning gang! I got up early cuz I got crowded out of bed again. Bless these cute critters ♡. I got up and turned on the morning news and had early coffee. Seems the crowd has followed me to the couch ♡
Loving the quiet with only 3 roosters (and the endless nieghborhood ferals in the Mango trees) . I would like to get it down to 2, that would be dreamy but it would be a difficult cut for me to make.
The blue cockerel is still here with us. Too young to crow and hassle the ladies so he is fine for a bit longer and the 3 buff Brahma boys are babies. Still time... well, at least a breather anyways.
I'm pretty sure the weird thing I found on my poop board was a lash egg. Not great, possibly an indication of an infection (ok can treat) or some reproduction failure possibly? I don't know forsure, just what I have read and I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Forgot to lock the run up. Oops. We have no predators but the gang got to wander early. So, I have not said good morning properly with a visual check.
Bath and dip day for the kittens again and then vet check and shots tomorrow. Wish us a good culture with no more fungus. :fl:fl:flView attachment 2902042
I wondered if that gross thing might be a lash egg :-(

Oh my goodness those faces!! 😍😍😍 Fingers crossed for the kitties tomorrow!!

I can’t imagine how noisy it must be around you with so many roosters! I love my roosters but if I had to listen to too much of it I’d go insane 😆 But that pretty boy in your last post would sure be tough to give up!! He’s a looker!

Your hubby sounds like a wonderfully easy going guy. My DH would be more negative about that so I tend to be a little more on the down low. So when he complains about how much I spend on feed I just small and shrug and think, oh boy! If he really knew... lol mostly I just say, how was breakfast? Your welcome.

Ya know when I look back on my chicken keeping and think 🤔 I wish I had done this better...? Well, I have never regretted getting any meds or vitamins. I just wish I would have known to do them all sooner. My next few steps is to get a mini fridge and a doctor's bag and get it all organized. I figure I have to protect my $400. Investment. That is def on the dl from dh. 😂
Yeah my husband is a pretty easy going guy, but he’s also outnumbered by his bleeding heart wife and even worse daughter. He says yes to anything when we start crying about our animals 😆

A mini fridge and doctor bag seems totally worthwhile! Bet they get more use than half the stuff the hubby owns 😉 I know it would in my house haha.

Well today Brad looked a bit better and a new chicken popped up with an issue. It’s truly never ending I swear 🤦🏼‍♀️ Anyone seen something like this on their chickens face? Azygous thinks maybe a mosquito bite? I ruled out tick or embedded bug of some sort…

F47B9370-1084-462A-B83E-DCE35E301A4B.jpeg

Poor girl…so I treated Brad for the crop issue, Fuzzy for her runny nose, Betty for her broodiness, and Ms Pretty for her face ouchie. I also have to work 😆😆

I also came to a sad realization that my favorite chicken I talk about all the time is most likely a boy after all. Puff has been feathering in realllllly slowly and I think I saw saddle feathers today. They are the only shiny feathers on he/r back and they’re legit thin not just shredded and weird like Fluff’s look to be 😩😩😩 So I soon will be making the depressing decision to find a new home for one of the three at least. I don’t wanna :-(

85F27754-3C03-4DCF-9A3F-7F27126A312B.jpeg

The P is Puff and the F is Fluff. It’s not easy to see in this above pic, but the close ups make it easier to see I think 😩

B0B4B9CB-CACE-4B3E-9B75-E9791C45BE16.jpeg
3A734A94-1680-4DC4-9255-33C2FA560850.jpeg

I think Fluff’s feathers look more wide and she is much more feathered out. Puff is smaller, thin legs, slow feathering, has a tiny comb—so I was fooled! It’s been a rough chicken week here!

Bee, wasp, spider?!! Not mosquito IMO.

How old? I'm not seeing roo. Hard for me to really see the feathers but at 4 months I would expect to see some red on that face if P is a boy or F is a boy. Don't give up yet!

Cute little blue boy is July 19.
20211117_072707.jpg

I usually panic with my Ameraucana's and Ameraucana mixs till they actually lay an egg.
But both faces are pale for the size and feathering to me.
20211118_141915~2.jpg
these are early Sept.
I know every chicken breed is different... don't know if this helps. ♡♡♡

Bee, wasp, spider?!! Not mosquito IMO.

How old? I'm not seeing roo. Hard for me to really see the feathers but at 4 months I would expect to see some red on that face if P is a boy or F is a boy. Don't give up yet!

Cute little blue boy is July 19. View attachment 2902716
I usually panic with my Ameraucana's and Ameraucana mixs till they actually lay an egg.
But both faces are pale for the size and feathering to me.View attachment 2902718these are early Sept.
I know every chicken breed is different... don't know if this helps. ♡♡♡
This does help…I got so bummed when both my Lav Orps and my BLRW were all boys that I’m totally paranoid and every weird feather seems like a boy feather 😩 the shredded feathers don’t help at all.

Cute little boy is a couple weeks younger than my babies (July 2) and he’s definitely got more noticeable saddles. I’ll try not to panic quite yet 😆 phew, thanks! I’ll take some deep breaths now and calm down haha.

I was thinking it might be a spider bite too, I know she likes to sleep up in the high roost sometimes and there are a couple spider webs. :thHopefully it’s nothing serious…I don’t need any more chicken vet bills for awhile!💰💰💸💸

Welp, if it is, she has been bitten a few times :-/ I found three more bumps without the center scab behind her ears on both sides. I don’t know what to make of it! Maybe impacted feather follicles? Maybe some other more benign response to something? I’m only panicking cuz I’m leaving for a week and chicken health can turn on a dime 😩 Gonna rinse it with antifungal antiseptic and see what she looks like again tomorrow. She’s otherwise fine…no discharge in eyes or nose, no sores in her mouth, no sneezing…blah! Silly chickens are stressing me out man.

Attachments

• 69DB1B6B-65A8-4286-B6A0-C775D17D8962.jpeg
    69DB1B6B-65A8-4286-B6A0-C775D17D8962.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1A4FBE63-9CFD-4378-AD28-127763E856C9.jpeg
    1A4FBE63-9CFD-4378-AD28-127763E856C9.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 1
Oh gosh @kurby22 . Must be mosquitos. Poor thing. ♡ is the first bump/scab changing at all? Better or worse? Just wonder if this is the start of pox. If so, you just gotta let it ride, though I always add vitamins to my water when I see signs. It helps them sail through it better or so I think.

Back
Top Bottom