What did you do with your flock today?

My Leghorn Winnie found the only spot of melted snow and dirt to dust bath (apparently her enclosed/covered run with a warm dirt/straw bottom wasnt cutting it) so to the spa she went as she was caked and freezing. Hope she doesn't do it again, lol
I'm kind of waffling. She is either really smart 😉 or ahem ... really not so smart. I do prefer to think her a genius because she is looking pretty spoiled at the moment. Maybe a little warm oats to help warm her insides 😂 💕

Yeah, i was nervous about the "what if they fight" scenario before my roosters ever did fight. But now that its happened a few times, its pretty clear who's bossman out there and he never has to use excessive force before the other one backs down.

One or two of the dark reds (sorry, I can't tell who's who much with the reds other than to say some are darker, some are lighter...and one survived a defeathering in the summer and stands out because of her feather regrowth) acts like mama bear for all of the other hens if any of the roosters lays on unwanted attention. Those couple of reds will flog the bujeeezuz outta the roo with her wings. That's the kind of girl power I like to see 😁

View attachment 3009500
So sweet. I want to snuggle them and tell them it'll be ok. :hugs
Yeah, this is the first time I have introduced a new rooster to the group, the other three have been together since they were a few weeks old. This new boy is a lot more typical rooster from all I have read. He's flashy, and loud, and very focused on taking care of the ladies, this is new to me! Puff, Fluff and Emilio all are so passive and calm for the most part. He backed down pretty quickly though, so I was happy to see that.

That is great that you have some tough girls to keep those boys in line!! I don't have any ladies that do that for each other much, but Big Momma Elinor does make the boys stop fighting with each other. :) I love watching flock dynamics, animal behavior is fascinating!

I know, Sia and Cher make me want to cuddle them and protect them! They are such sensitive little girls! :hugs :love

Good morning gang! Waking up is such a joy ♡ must be an age thing lol.
On my second chicken check this morning I found the guard cats all in position above the brooder. Glad we secured it.
20220301_082616.jpg
20220301_082719.jpg

Did a little chicken shuffle yesterday as I friend of a chicken friend needed a rooster so we grabbed one from the ranch who is low on the pecking order but handsome, friendly and capable. Put him in roo pen so moved Manono to the lower brooder which she really likes. She is starting to make hen noises like b4 the egg song. Of the age but what age is she really ♡♡♡¿
20220301_091323.jpg
FoaCF should come soon and may also take Koa. Good meet and greet for the 2.
20220228_131538~2.jpg

I simply went out to take photos of Geegee for @g&g btw.
20220301_091402.jpg
20220301_091437~2.jpg
and baby Peaches 🍑
20220301_091701~2.jpg
those feet!
20220301_091653.jpg

Anywho, made the decision to keep all at least for awhile. If my goal was to further Bolt DNA then I don't need to be in a hurry. I have already accomplished what I wanted.
Also will go pick up Cornish rescues when roo pen is open.
It's a beautiful day. Send rain @PJ. ♡

Good morning gang! Waking up is such a joy ♡ must be an age thing lol.
On my second chicken check this morning I found the guard cats all in position above the brooder. Glad we secured it.View attachment 3009964View attachment 3009966
Did a little chicken shuffle yesterday as I friend of a chicken friend needed a rooster so we grabbed one from the ranch who is low on the pecking order but handsome, friendly and capable. Put him in roo pen so moved Manono to the lower brooder which she really likes. She is starting to make hen noises like b4 the egg song. Of the age but what age is she really ♡♡♡¿View attachment 3010021 FoaCF should come soon and may also take Koa. Good meet and greet for the 2.View attachment 3009949
I simply went out to take photos of Geegee for @g&g btw. View attachment 3010024View attachment 3010025and baby Peaches 🍑View attachment 3010027those feet!View attachment 3010028
Anywho, made the decision to keep all at least for awhile. If my goal was to further Bolt DNA then I don't need to be in a hurry. I have already accomplished what I wanted.
Also will go pick up Cornish rescues when roo pen is open.
It's a beautiful day. Send rain @PJ. ♡
*sigh*.... You cant take a step without bumping into cuteness. ❤

And awwwwww, I'm so flattered that you made the effort just for me. He's such a cutie. I agree with you about Peaches, too. Such sweet feet.

I took some pictures of the new chickens today! I’m making progress with the first 5, but the new Olandsks are still very wary! The rooster came and ate from my hand but the ladies only came near me :)

Cher is the most standoffish of all of them though. I hope that changes with time!

@TropicalBabies those chicks are just the cutest!! 😍😍😍😍

Attachments

• 5198C796-A5BB-4C65-9F10-BCC87DD7358F.jpeg
    5198C796-A5BB-4C65-9F10-BCC87DD7358F.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 6C103BDC-6701-4435-A932-ED2E698CB6E7.jpeg
    6C103BDC-6701-4435-A932-ED2E698CB6E7.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 5658D2E5-39E9-424A-9909-11DD351B2B6A.jpeg
    5658D2E5-39E9-424A-9909-11DD351B2B6A.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 660C9C8C-8571-4AB9-BE22-C81AB3BFAF1B.jpeg
    660C9C8C-8571-4AB9-BE22-C81AB3BFAF1B.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 32634CFD-FB72-4CDC-B60F-C766238765F5.jpeg
    32634CFD-FB72-4CDC-B60F-C766238765F5.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 3
I took some pictures of the new chickens today! I’m making progress with the first 5, but the new Olandsks are still very wary! The rooster came and ate from my hand but the ladies only came near me :)

Cher is the most standoffish of all of them though. I hope that changes with time!

@TropicalBabies those chicks are just the cutest!! 😍😍😍😍
I've been patiently waiting for photos ♡♡♡ thank you! They are beautiful! Oh yeah, keep them coming!

Good evening gang,
Today I rehomed Koa and the light Brahma mix from the ranch. Super cute family is starting their flock back up and the kids were thrilled. I was thrilled cuz the boys were so good the kids could handle them and they were going to an experienced home that was all set up for them.
Bathed my beautiful buff and syringe fed her vit, antibiotics and calcium along with hemp protein and probiotics for the 3rd day. Thought she was egg bound but thinking maybe internally laying to reproductive infection. Well, treating it both ways and she is finally coming around a little.
20220302_102214.jpg
us girls hung out on the she-deck/catio and listened to music while drying feathers after our epsom bath soak. Please keep her in your good thoughts.
Chicks are wonderful. Gave them a few meal worms for fun. First mealworms never get old. Little maniacs.
Photo DH took of Eleele at the ranch. May have to enter it in POW 😉
65531.jpeg

Good evening gang,
Today I rehomed Koa and the light Brahma mix from the ranch. Super cute family is starting their flock back up and the kids were thrilled. I was thrilled cuz the boys were so good the kids could handle them and they were going to an experienced home that was all set up for them.
Bathed my beautiful buff and syringe fed her vit, antibiotics and calcium along with hemp protein and probiotics for the 3rd day. Thought she was egg bound but thinking maybe internally laying to reproductive infection. Well, treating it both ways and she is finally coming around a little. View attachment 3012022us girls hung out on the she-deck/catio and listened to music while drying feathers after our epsom bath soak. Please keep her in your good thoughts.
Chicks are wonderful. Gave them a few meal worms for fun. First mealworms never get old. Little maniacs.
Photo DH took of Eleele at the ranch. May have to enter it in POW 😉View attachment 3012055
Evening! I’m glad your good boys found a good home! And I will think lots of good thoughts for your sweet girl ❤️ She looks like a real sweetheart!

That picture is amazing!! You should definitely submit it for POW! I love the lighting and your horse in the background with lush green grass 😍

Back
Top Bottom