What did you do with your flock today?

Aloha, happy Sunday all and Happy Father's day to all the daddy's out there :jumpy:ya !!!

DH and I are invited to the sons for lunch, I'm hoping we get a small hike or bike in somewhere, finishing the day with BBQing chicken this eve.

Other than our pet chores, I'm hoping we stay away from work and projects today 😊🤞

It is a typical Hawaiian day here- the sound and smell of the crashing surf mixed in with the warming grasses, Kukui blossoms and plumeria. Now, my cup of joe has joined in the mix ☕ and my world wakes. Ahhhh ♡
Nothing like a good morning preen under the watchful eye of hunky Spider.
20220619_061318.jpg

Cats were nice enough to bring a few lizards into the house this morning, one on the kitchen counter lol. Chickens were ultimately grateful for an early treat.

I really need to band her and maybe look into pigeons pants

They sell harnesses for parrots that work well for pigeons
:lau:gigI guess this goes under the category of things I just never bothered to think about b4.
I did have a friend who used a N94 mask as a last minute chicken diaper. 🤔💡pretty ingenious.

Ducky fun is absolutely beautiful @ChicksnMore ♡♡♡ thank you for the share.

Here is one of my better photos from yestereve. Unnamed and hopefully rehomed cockerel.
20220618_173930.jpg

Right after this photo he jumped Manono and promptly got grounded back to his coop.

🌺 Stay well and safe all and wishing you a great day! 🌴:frow

Aloha, happy Sunday all and Happy Father's day to all the daddy's out there :jumpy:ya !!!

DH and I are invited to the sons for lunch, I'm hoping we get a small hike or bike in somewhere, finishing the day with BBQing chicken this eve.

Other than our pet chores, I'm hoping we stay away from work and projects today 😊🤞

It is a typical Hawaiian day here- the sound and smell of the crashing surf mixed in with the warming grasses, Kukui blossoms and plumeria. Now, my cup of joe has joined in the mix ☕ and my world wakes. Ahhhh ♡
View attachment 3154703
Cats were nice enough to bring a few lizards into the house this morning, one on the kitchen counter lol. Chickens were ultimately grateful for an early treat.

:lau:gigI guess this goes under the category of things I just never bothered to think about b4.
I did have a friend who used a N94 mask as a last minute chicken diaper. 🤔💡pretty ingenious.

Here is one of my better photos from yestereve. Unnamed and hopefully rehomed cockerel.View attachment 3154696
Right after this photo he jumped Manono and promptly got grounded back to his coop.

Your posts are always such a pleasure! Your day sounds like it'll be lovely 🥰. I adore the plumeria in your pic! We went to Hawaii several years ago and I fell in love with it so bought one and brought it home....and drowned it....I think. 😭

We used to have pigeons and one of my kids was so in love with them...so yep...diapers! 🤣

We have a rare coolish morning so I spent the morning doing yard work. Still no rain at our house though a lot of areas near us got some. It hasn't rained here since March and my heart's restless wanting some. But at least it cooled a little.

My young chickies got the yard rakings to play with for a day. I can't leave it in there or the mice and snakes come...but they're enjoying it today and I can clean up what's left when I clean their coop sometime next week.
20220619_092908.jpg

I did some work near the Creles area so got a pic of them as well.
20220618_173229.jpg
I love the OEGBs in general. The lines of their bodies and posture just please me.

Hubby wants to cook for father's day so it's chilli for dinner! The kids got him everything he needs to make hard cider and are planning on roping him into making it with them as his father's day gift. I think he'll enjoy that.

Hope everyone's day is perfect!

Your posts are always such a pleasure! Your day sounds like it'll be lovely 🥰. I adore the plumeria in your pic! We went to Hawaii several years ago and I fell in love with it so bought one and brought it home....and drowned it....I think. 😭

We used to have pigeons and one of my kids was so in love with them...so yep...diapers! 🤣

We have a rare coolish morning so I spent the morning doing yard work. Still no rain at our house though a lot of areas near us got some. It hasn't rained here since March and my heart's restless wanting some. But at least it cooled a little.

My young chickies got the yard rakings to play with for a day. I can't leave it in there or the mice and snakes come...but they're enjoying it today and I can clean up what's left when I clean their coop sometime next week.View attachment 3154746
I did some work near the Creles area so got a pic of them as well.View attachment 3154750I love the OEGBs in general. The lines of their bodies and posture just please me.

Hubby wants to cook for father's day so it's chilli for dinner! The kids got him everything he needs to make hard cider and are planning on roping him into making it with them as his father's day gift. I think he'll enjoy that.

Hope everyone's day is perfect!
Sounds like a good Sunday! I think your crele boy is so handsome!!

My husband and I got to drop the kids off with grandma and grandpa yesterday and we spent the afternoon eating at a place we used to frequent before we had kids, then drove to Berkeley and checked into our hotel, took a nap and then went to the Greek Theatre and watched the Indigo Girls open for Brandi Carlile 😍😍😍 My two most favorite bands in one place!! Was so fantastic. Only drawback was the concrete bench seats! We slept in this morning and then shopped some and then met the in-laws for a late lunch to pick the kids back up! Was a really lovely 36 hours ❤️

The fun ended when we got home and both of my sick Polish had died 😢 I would worry about Mareks or something since they get weak and can’t walk…but it’s ONLY the Polish getting sick and only the smaller ones. So I did some research and discovered that medicated chick starter can cause thiamine deficiencies in chickens…and Polish are so sensitive to vitamin deficiencies 😢😢 Thiamine deficiencies result in wobbles, lethargy, paralysis, and anorexia. I started them on Vitamin B complex vitamins but I guess it was too late. 😢😢 I’m thinking Polish chickens are fragile flowers 😢 I bought regular chick starter and will be feeding them that from now on. Fingers crossed the other three survive. Sigh…now I’m left with two boys and lonely frizzled Josephine. My other two pullets died 😢 I’m so very sad about it. Please keep them all in your thoughts, I don’t need more losses! 💔

And Nohope sprouted bigger wattles over the past three days…so he is indeed a he. I just knew when that breeder said she had A hen that was lavender cuckoo that that meant he was a boy since he’s barred. 😩😩 So now I’m not sure what I will do. He will be gorgeous and make barred EEs if I want them. I have black and blue Ameraucanas that would make beautiful barred babies! So fingers crossed he is a nice boy I can keep around. But it does probably mean I will need to rehome one of my lavender Ameraucanas I think. And it might be Puff since he doesn’t like to behave as well as I’d like. :-( ugh, chickening with limited space is hard 😩😩 He’s such a sweet boy.

Well I have to get up early and take the kids to basketball and softball camps and then enjoy my day off for Juneteenth! Might spend some time drinking coffee with the birds till it gets too hot! Supposed to be over 100 everyday from Tuesday thru the weekend. 😩😩😩

View attachment 3154703

Here is one of my better photos from yestereve. Unnamed and hopefully rehomed cockerel.View attachment 3154696

Sounds like you had a lovely day planned today! Hope it went well! I too have some naughty boys…wish I had the space for a Time Out coop! It’s a great idea!

Sounds like a good Sunday! I think your crele boy is so handsome!!

My husband and I got to drop the kids off with grandma and grandpa yesterday and we spent the afternoon eating at a place we used to frequent before we had kids, then drove to Berkeley and checked into our hotel, took a nap and then went to the Greek Theatre and watched the Indigo Girls open for Brandi Carlile 😍😍😍 My two most favorite bands in one place!! Was so fantastic. Only drawback was the concrete bench seats! We slept in this morning and then shopped some and then met the in-laws for a late lunch to pick the kids back up! Was a really lovely 36 hours ❤️

The fun ended when we got home and both of my sick Polish had died 😢 I would worry about Mareks or something since they get weak and can’t walk…but it’s ONLY the Polish getting sick and only the smaller ones. So I did some research and discovered that medicated chick starter can cause thiamine deficiencies in chickens…and Polish are so sensitive to vitamin deficiencies 😢😢 Thiamine deficiencies result in wobbles, lethargy, paralysis, and anorexia. I started them on Vitamin B complex vitamins but I guess it was too late. 😢😢 I’m thinking Polish chickens are fragile flowers 😢 I bought regular chick starter and will be feeding them that from now on. Fingers crossed the other three survive. Sigh…now I’m left with two boys and lonely frizzled Josephine. My other two pullets died 😢 I’m so very sad about it. Please keep them all in your thoughts, I don’t need more losses! 💔

And Nohope sprouted bigger wattles over the past three days…so he is indeed a he. I just knew when that breeder said she had A hen that was lavender cuckoo that that meant he was a boy since he’s barred. 😩😩 So now I’m not sure what I will do. He will be gorgeous and make barred EEs if I want them. I have black and blue Ameraucanas that would make beautiful barred babies! So fingers crossed he is a nice boy I can keep around. But it does probably mean I will need to rehome one of my lavender Ameraucanas I think. And it might be Puff since he doesn’t like to behave as well as I’d like. :-( ugh, chickening with limited space is hard 😩😩 He’s such a sweet boy.

Well I have to get up early and take the kids to basketball and softball camps and then enjoy my day off for Juneteenth! Might spend some time drinking coffee with the birds till it gets too hot! Supposed to be over 100 everyday from Tuesday thru the weekend. 😩😩😩
So sorry to hear about your birds! I hope the rest make it.

I want to suggest brewer's yeast as a supplement. It's a good source of thiamine and niacin (both b vits) and several other b vitamins. I use it with both my ducks, peas and yokos. There's a been a few studies done that show the slipped tendon problem peas are prone to can be fixed by adding brewer's yeast. It's specific vitamins in the yeast that are need and I can't remember which ones. It took some digging to find those studies, but I'll see if I can re-find them for you. I'm not sure the yokos need it...but the first yokos I got had one that developed a slipped tendon, so I started using it with their chicks and no slipped tendons since. I know your problem isn't slipped tendons...but if it's vitamin deficiencies, brewer's yeast offers a lot of important ones for birds.

@kurby22 Thanks for sharing about medicated chick feed! I'd thought about trying it since they restricted access to tetracycline. You used to be able to buy it through any farm supply but now you need a prescription. That drug has saved so many beasties for me.

This was super useful and makes me wonder if those three that died came from the same hen. Would help explain why three are growing really well and three did not. I will look into adding brewers yeast! I’m so very sad about them, they were so sweet and beautiful 😢 So many things you have to know to keep them alive! 😩😩

On a positive note…I attempted to let my broody silkies hatch my OD eggs instead of the incubator. Man, chickens are way better at it than an incubator!

834AD072-C81B-42B1-BC73-2B050990ADCA.jpeg

All three that were developing hatched and look happy and healthy! 😍

This was super useful and makes me wonder if those three that died came from the same hen. Would help explain why three are growing really well and three did not. I will look into adding brewers yeast! I’m so very sad about them, they were so sweet and beautiful 😢 So many things you have to know to keep them alive! 😩😩

On a positive note…I attempted to let my broody silkies hatch my OD eggs instead of the incubator. Man, chickens are way better at it than an incubator!

View attachment 3156263
All three that were developing hatched and look happy and healthy! 😍
Bet momma silkie is very proud!

Back
Top Bottom