What did you do with your flock today?

Went out to the chicken coop to clean out some of the poop in there. Just the poop in the nest boxes…cause some of them thinks it’s cool to sleep in them. 😂 But soon enough they will use them for what they are actually for. They are only 11 weeks so it might not be until the spring.

Then I don’t know what made me go to where I put the ducks to play outside, but I did. I put flowers around the top of it, they are actually flowers that will go in this future flower bed. But I noticed a flower starting to bloom a couple days ago and I was excited! I couldn’t wait to take pictures of the ducks around all the flowers. And I just broke down and cried again 😭😭

Gorgeous flowers! I’m so sorry I have done this several times when I go out with my chickens this past month. All the favorites that came to sit with me are gone and it just makes me so very sad and I start crying again. I miss Puff too and I rehomed him :-( They just get your heart and when they are lost tragically it’s just so much harder, hugs.
I am so very sorry for both of yall and your family are going through in so many heartaches!

The nice gal, Lacey, who needs a boy for her girls asked how much I wanted for a boy and I suggested she do a feel good donation to KHS or the place of her choice. She sent me this today. I am proud and impressed. This gal is gold as far as I am concerned, not made of it lol just a solid good heart. Makes up for the last gal I helped out... lol 😳😜🦇🦇
88977~3.jpeg

DH said he was OK and I was fine not going down to help him today, so flock got extra time out while I worked in the yard. Some photos to share.
20220815_151505.jpg
20220815_103212.jpg
20220815_103929.jpg
20220815_102403.jpg

I got the last of the pine needles and pinecones raked out and all that is left is to weed whack the lawn. It was a lot of work but worth it. It is raining now... again... so, all pau for the day:idunno

The nice gal, Lacey, who needs a boy for her girls asked how much I wanted for a boy and I suggested she do a feel good donation to KHS or the place of her choice. She sent me this today. I am proud and impressed. This gal is gold as far as I am concerned, not made of it lol just a solid good heart. Makes up for the last gal I helped out... lol 😳😜🦇🦇View attachment 3224617
DH said he was OK and I was fine not going down to help him today, so flock got extra time out while I worked in the yard. Some photos to share.View attachment 3224623View attachment 3224628View attachment 3224637View attachment 3224631
I got the last of the pine needles and pinecones raked out and all that is left is to weed whack the lawn. It was a lot of work but worth it. It is raining now... again... so, all pau for the day:idunno
That is awesome! I’m glad it all worked out for you today!

I put my first freezer birds of the year in the freezer today :yesss: Quite happy to see the average weights at about 4 pounds! (That's including neck and giblets.)

These birds (photo below), my "Alpha group", were barnyard mixes at 16-1/2 weeks old. I have a mix of mostly Black Australorps, RIRs, BPRs and a couple of other dual-purpose breeds. Hatched these chicks in an incubator from eggs laid in our coop.

After processing, I let them rest in the fridge for 3 days, and then soaked them in a brine solution for 12 hours. Rinsed, bagged and sealed this morning. Hopefully I've managed this part better than last year's --- I didn't know they had to "rest", nor that brining would help to make the meat more tender. I'm anxious to find out the results!

We have another small batch ("Bravos") to do in a couple of weeks, and a bigger bunch ("Charlies") in about six weeks. "Delta" group went to a friend starting a new flock. "Echos" are in the brooder. "Foxtrots" are in the incubator. I'll raise just one more batch this year, "Golf" (Golfers?), as I want to finish all processing before Christmas - and then start all over again. We keep all the pullets for layers and put cockerels in the freezer. The total year's yield should be around 32 fryers and 32 layers.

We started this plan last year. It's working!!!

1660614728234.png

The nice gal, Lacey, who needs a boy for her girls asked how much I wanted for a boy and I suggested she do a feel good donation to KHS or the place of her choice. She sent me this today. I am proud and impressed. This gal is gold as far as I am concerned, not made of it lol just a solid good heart. Makes up for the last gal I helped out... lol 😳😜🦇🦇View attachment 3224617
DH said he was OK and I was fine not going down to help him today, so flock got extra time out while I worked in the yard. Some photos to share.View attachment 3224623View attachment 3224628View attachment 3224637View attachment 3224631
Lacey sounds precious 💕 Thank you so much for the beautiful pics. As always, they're beautiful...not sure why but I needed that today❤️
After processing, I let them rest in the fridge for 3 days, and then soaked them in a brine solution for 12 hours. Rinsed, bagged and sealed this morning. Hopefully I've managed this part better than last year's --- I didn't know they had to "rest", nor that brining would help to make the meat more tender. I'm anxious to find out the results!
Those are beautiful birds. I don't butcher unless I have no other options anymore just because I'm aging and getting soft...but I'm storing away the resting and brining in case I ever need it. My kids swear the meat we raised for ourselves is far tastier then anything you can buy and I know our freezer birds had a better life then any of the store bought birds did. But they were sometimes tough because I had a tendency to put off butchering...lol.

Hello! This is a place to post pictures/talk about what you and your flock have done today.

I was on a zoom call earlier and Iris, my rooster, decided to stand behind me and crow repeatedly. Thankfully I was on mute, but it was still annoying. They couldn’t see him, but they could see me trying to make him quiet, which was a little embarrassing. :lol:
Here’s a pic of my boy with some mini roses.
View attachment 2128202

What about you guys? Have you done anything interesting with your flock today?

Here are a few pictures of my birds.
View attachment 2128859View attachment 2128860View attachment 2128833View attachment 2128869
View attachment 2128894
Lol the fluffy necked light brown chicken looks similar to a chicken my partner and I have. So cuddly looking hahah😂

That’s so awesome!! What an awesome way to transact a beloved rooster ❤️

That’s so awesome!! What an awesome way to transact a beloved rooster ❤️
I agree! I actually started doing this at my last "real job" (over 10 years ago lol). I dealt with a lot of tourist and I always went the extra mile to help them out and for this they would offer a tip. I did not want to cheapen my good deed so I'd always suggest donating to a favorite cause if they wanted. I did have a few follow through and we had ♡ smiles but mostly hoped the kind gesture would pay off in a moment when it was needed, like a pay it forward.
This gal is like me. I would have taken the opportunity to give as generously as I could. The $ will go farther than a bag of feed for me for sure ♡ :fl

Well, I did it. I sold five of my chickens. Three were ones I think I wanted to keep and 2 were ones I knew I wanted to go.

Whew...that was harder then it should have been. 😂 When I give away birds I know the people or have confidence in them through friends. Selling feels blind. Selling just hatched babies was pretty easy...so why were these birds hard? Yep... I'm definitely nuts. 🤣

I also traded 4 dwarf chicks for 4 aloha chicks. I think I picked all girls so they can live with the Yokos. I only have one non-yoko big girl left and she's an ancient girly. I almost picked one aloha rooster but behaved and stuck to girls.

Hope everyone's day is starting well!

Back
Top Bottom