What did you do with your flock today?

Had fun today with them. Their new galvanized feeder arrived. Always fun feeding the bunch. I suspended it from ceiling with a bungee. I was supposed to switch them to grow fee today so I went to the feed store and asked for it somehow when I got home after going through all the rigmarole of getting them fed and watered I see the man sold me a bag of laying feed. I'm just hoping that the one bag of lay won't hurt them too much befor3 I can get to TSC on Sunday. I have mixed age flock and I think the ones in the coop now are about 15 weeks off the top of my head. There is also some younger than that by maybe a month. Definitely too young to be eating layer feed.

I put some grit out and they knocked the container over. That got me to wondering if I need to purchase yet another feeder strictly for grit? My initial plan was to put it in a simple bowl.

The highlight of the late afternoon was adding straw to the coop. It made it look so much nicer than the pine straw that I had. I think I'm going to like this for the Deep bedding/ deep litter method.

Last edited:
So today I get the official call back from the nonprofit! Most exciting!
I got the back deck cleaned, sewing station set up and i'm ready to start sewing again.
Chooks are fantastic. Did a few egg deliveries on Boo and after hearing gas prices may go up again I am really, REALLY happy to flip gas stations the bird. I hope many people get inspired to wean themselves further off petroleum. Such a killer.
I recieved several big plastic egg carton donations -love when people give to me instead of just tossing in the rubbish!- after being a little low on supplies and worried, I am now set!
And my try at photos of growing BB x RSL's, molting Spider and silly big littles.
View attachment 3283518View attachment 3283519View attachment 3283522View attachment 3283524
That is so awesome! I love your pictures of you babies! They are all just so pretty!

Had fun today with them. Their new galvanized feeder arrived. Always fun feeding the bunch. I suspended it from ceiling with a bungee. I was supposed to switch them to grow fee today so I went to the feed store and asked for it somehow when I got home after going through all the rigmarole of getting them fed and watered I see the man sold me a bag of laying feed. I'm just hoping that the one bag of lay won't hurt them too much befor3 I can get to TSC on Sunday. I have mixed age flock and I think the ones in the coop now are about 15 weeks off the top of my head. There is also some younger than that by maybe a month. Definitely too young to be eating layer feed.

I put some grit out and they knocked the container over. That got me to wondering if I need to purchase yet another feeder strictly for grit? My initial plan was to put it in a simple bowl.

The highlight of the late afternoon was adding straw to the coop. It made it look so much nicer than the pine straw that I had. I think I'm going to like this for the Deep bedding/ deep litter method.
Oh gosh, that stinks. That happened to me a few weeks ago cept my honey brought home meat bird instead of chick starter. 😕
Congrats on the new feeder. Always fun! And the straw- enjoy!

I just put my grit on the ground and they find it. They normally peck around on the ground anyway. The grit won’t go bad either being on the ground. It’s basically crushed granite(at least that is what mine is). They may even be able to find some grit in their run, basically small rocks. I wouldn’t worry about putting it in a bowl 😁

I just put my grit on the ground and they find it. They normally peck around on the ground anyway. The grit won’t go bad either being on the ground. It’s basically crushed granite(at least that is what mine is). They may even be able to find some grit in their run, basically small rocks. I wouldn’t worry about putting it in a bowl 😁
I did not buy grit for years cuz we had nice big beachy sand for our soil but after the chooks pecking and with me adding horse compost and mulch, that nice clean gritty beach sand is fewer and farther to find in our yard. Gotta dig for it now lol.
20220126_175915~4.jpg

Now I keep mine in dishes that I hang next to their feed (that and calcium) but periodically clean and empty them on the ground- where they may find and pick up naturally. It helps me monitor their health needs and I feel a little better for having them. It takes time to find things that work.

I did not buy grit for years cuz we had nice big beachy sand for our soil but after the chooks pecking and with me adding horse compost and mulch, that nice clean gritty beach sand is fewer and farther to find in our yard. Gotta dig for it now lol.
View attachment 3284666
Now I keep mine in dishes that I hang next to their feed (that and calcium) but periodically clean and empty them on the ground- where they may find and pick up naturally. It helps me monitor their health needs and I feel a little better for having them. It takes time to find things that work.
That it does! I plan to put the calcium in a dish so I can monitor that. But I also have a lot tiny rocks around the ground. But mine are always pecking at the ground and haven’t really shown much interest in the bowl of grit. Which I started in the brooder but like hers, they always dumped it over. It wasn’t until they were outside they were really interested in it.

Weather report said we would be getting some heavy rains off and on Friday- Sunday. This morning some finally arrived... in a warm sultry drip. It was very early morning and very brief. When the sun came up it gave us a stunningly beautiful day, even for Hawaii's standard.
Honey swung my baby by for fun and a bath
20221007_103824~2.jpg

Rest of the day was chicken chores, sewing and a few Boo rides. Perfect.

Weather report said we would be getting some heavy rains off and on Friday- Sunday. This morning some finally arrived... in a warm sultry drip. It was very early morning and very brief. When the sun came up it gave us a stunningly beautiful day, even for Hawaii's standard.
Honey swung my baby by for fun and a bath
View attachment 3285358
Rest of the day was chicken chores, sewing and a few Boo rides. Perfect.
Beautiful!!!

Back
Top Bottom