What did you do with your flock today?

There is a lot to do recreationally. We don't like to visit Seattle unless it's to the International District in the daytime for dim sum and restock my Chinese pantry groceries. We love it here on Kitsap. I can have chickens, garden, enjoy the clean air (except in the summer when wildfire smoke fills the air), and am close to fishing, crabbing, clams, oysters, etc. If I did snow sports, that's also relatively close. You must have a lot of land, now. We have less than an acre, but it's more than enough to manage. This morning's view from my bed:
O gosh ...you make me want to move...lol. What a beautiful view to wake up to!
Unfortunately it didn’t do anything, she’s still getting worse. That said, I did save the recipe for future uses. I’ve got a girl with a massive comb that can get pretty dry and cracked in the summer months. I bet it’ll work really well for her. <3

Currently Molly is inside on a towel getting super secret snacks. She was a little scared at first, but now she’s living the life lol.
View attachment 3338583
View attachment 3338584
It does look like it's progressing fast.☹️ She does look like she's enjoying all the TLC though.
Sorry, forgot for a bit @FrankieDoodle View attachment 3338752
I'm sure I have posted this b4. Spider at about 5 months I think. B4 he took over flock duties for sure. A byc gal painted and then let me buy. I asked her to do one of Cisco for dh's fathers day gift. I really enjoy her style and really glad she let me purchase from her.View attachment 3338757
Those are wonderful!
Chickens tolerate a LOT :-/ I’m not sure the prognosis is good for Asha. She has a new symptom that makes me think there’s more going on internally that’s not clear. :-( She has stopped making sound when she complains or talks and this morning she seemed to be sort of straining to breathe :-( Is it possible that the bacteria did internal tissue damage that was too far gone to mend in time? She still eats like crazy but seems low in energy and sleeps more than I’d like. :-( I’m preparing myself :-( Thanks so much though for everything! ❤️🥺
Poor Asha. I miss the days when you could pop into any feed store and buy tetracycline. ☹️ The fish antibiotics should work fine too. The livestock tetra is added to the water and replaced every 24 hrs. If you find some and want the instructions for livestock use I can take a photo of them for you.

Still have my fingers crossed for her.

One of my Easter Eggers laid an egg today! Diamond finally decided to, and it’s green! ❤️

Attachments

• 0B6DDD59-1662-499A-AEC5-6799C62BD91F.jpeg
    0B6DDD59-1662-499A-AEC5-6799C62BD91F.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 0
We are home! No place like it yall! Vacay is nice...but I'd rather be home and enjoy all God has blessed me with!

And not sure I'll get caught up so did I miss a lot?!

Well thank God all my babies youngest to oldest survived the chicken sitter. We had a few bad storms with torrential rain and heavy winds but that should not have affected giving them clean water. Very frustrating and difficult to find someone that will take care of your babies!
Went ahead and moved the Buff Silkies down to the big brooder with the week older baby Cochins. They were doing well and like they had never missed each other.
They've got a brooder heat plate and I made sure they were all tucked in well before leaving em.
I sure pray no illnesses come from the nasty waterers!
Reckon I should start the corid water back up on the brooder babies just to be safe? They had been on it 20 days prior to my leaving town...thoughts, suggestions?

We are home! No place like it yall! Vacay is nice...but I'd rather be home and enjoy all God has blessed me with!

Well thank God all my babies youngest to oldest survived the chicken sitter. We had a few bad storms with torrential rain and heavy winds but that should not have affected giving them clean water. Very frustrating and difficult to find someone that will take care of your babies!
Went ahead and moved the Buff Silkies down to the big brooder with the week older baby Cochins. They were doing well and like they had never missed each other.
They've got a brooder heat plate and I made sure they were all tucked in well before leaving em.
Reckon I should start the corid water back up on the brooder babies just to be safe? They had been on it 20 days prior to my leaving town...thoughts, suggestions?
Welcome home! Hope your cruise was perfect 💕

I'm glad your babies made it through safe and hope the water has no bad effects. I've never used corrid for longer then a week and never tried dosing close together either. I'm guessing it's safe but I'll leave that question for others to answer.

Welcome back home!!! I don’t know that anyone will ever find the perfect chickens sitter. Unless they own chickens themselves. I know I couldn’t trust my sister. She would be scared of my cockerel. My brother would smash eggs in the coop for them to eat, because even though he is 27 he acts like he is 2 when it comes to things like that. Luckily for him, he hasn’t done that to my chickens. He does it to my real dads chickens. Then there is my mom. I think she would think that some things would be ridiculous and not do it. That would be my list of “trusted” people that I wouldn’t trust. I would honestly think changing water would be a pretty simple chore.

ANYWAY, I’m really happy to hear that even with the water, ALL the babies, young and old, survived!! I know you were worried about them. I really hope that you had an amazing and relaxing trip! I probably wouldn’t treat with Corid again. But then again I haven’t used it yet since this is my first year. Just from reading what I have on it. I personally think they would be ok but I also don’t believe it would hurt them either. I hope someone can give you a better answer.

Today was pretty busy and I haven’t had a chance to really catch up on everything. The last few days I have had random kids sick with one thing or another. The biggest issues has been Parvovirus going through all the kids. And no, this isn’t the same as the dog virus. There is human virus, in case you didn’t know. I had my sister and mom arguing with me on it. And then some random stomach bug is now going through them. Anyway, I am sorry for missing so much.

Today my husband took the day off and we cleaning out the duck pond and got them some feeder Minos. It took them a while to realize they were in the pond but once they did they were eating them in no time. We also got the chickens a snack block. They kind of like it but not really interested either. As in they haven’t ate much of it, which is good.

I also ordered puppy dewormer from Amazon and of course they sent the wrong dewormer. This dewormer I got was not liked by very many puppies according to the reviews. The one I ordered, I seen on YouTube and reviews shows and tells that it tastes better and had bettter results. So I spent $25 for a 2oz dewormer to get the ucky stuff that sells for $14 for 2oz. So of course I called and got a refund. And my poor babies had to get the ucky stuff. And believe me they HATED it!!! You know how you take a drink of some gross alcoholic drink or just some gross food and it gives you goosebumps and shivers and you just shake like you want the taste out of your mouth….well that was them. And gaging. LOTS of gaging. Oh well. As long as it works. They will only need to take this stuff maybe 2 more times. And since mom got a dewormer too maybe that will help them also.

Edit: Also to add, I went to put the chickens up. Sometimes I go in and check on them and lately I have, no particular reason just have been. And I’m really glad. Diamond found herself in between the nest boxes and the outside wall, which is maybe about 3 inches at most. Her head was hanging down (so blood rushing to her head) and wing was kinda funny. I moved her wing and she was still warm. So it gave me hope so I tried to pull her out. She was stuck REALLY good. But made noises at me so I was happy to hear that. I tried again and she came out. I checked on her a little ago and she was doing great. I am positive I would have came out to a dead baby in the morning if I did not check on them.

I hope everyone had a great day!

Last edited:
Chickens tolerate a LOT :-/ I’m not sure the prognosis is good for Asha. She has a new symptom that makes me think there’s more going on internally that’s not clear. :-( She has stopped making sound when she complains or talks and this morning she seemed to be sort of straining to breathe :-( Is it possible that the bacteria did internal tissue damage that was too far gone to mend in time? She still eats like crazy but seems low in energy and sleeps more than I’d like. :-( I’m preparing myself :-( Thanks so much though for everything! ❤️🥺
I’m so sorry!! I wish I could do something!

Today was pretty busy and I haven’t had a chance to really catch up on everything. The last few days I have had random kids sick with one thing or another. The biggest issues has been Parvovirus going through all the kids. And no, this isn’t the same as the dog virus. There is human virus, in case you didn’t know. I had my sister and mom arguing with me on it. And then some random stomach bug is now going through them. Anyway, I am sorry for missing so much.

Today my husband took the day off and we cleaning out the duck pond and got them some feeder Minos. It took them a while to realize they were in the pond but once they did they were eating them in no time. We also got the chickens a snack block. They kind of like it but not really interested either. As in they haven’t ate much of it, which is good.

I also ordered puppy dewormer from Amazon and of course they sent the wrong dewormer. This dewormer I got was not liked by very many puppies according to the reviews. The one I ordered, I seen on YouTube and reviews shows and tells that it tastes better and had bettter results. So I spent $25 for a 2oz dewormer to get the ucky stuff that sells for $14 for 2oz. So of course I called and got a refund. And my poor babies had to get the ucky stuff. And believe me they HATED it!!! You know how you take a drink of some gross alcoholic drink or just some gross food and it gives you goosebumps and shivers and you just shake like you want the taste out of your mouth….well that was them. And gaging. LOTS of gaging. Oh well. As long as it works. They will only need to take this stuff maybe 2 more times. And since mom got a dewormer too maybe that will help them also. 🤷‍♀️

Edit: Also to add, I went to shit the chickens up. Sometimes I go in and check on them and lately I have, no particular reason just have been. And I’m really glad. Diamond found herself in between the nest boxes and the outside wall, which is maybe about 3 inches at most. Her head was hanging down (so blood rushing to her head) and wing was kinda funny. I moved her wing and she was still warm. So it gave me hope so I tried to pull her out. She was stuck REALLY good. But made noises at me so I was happy to hear that. I tried again and she came out. I checked on her a little ago and she was doing great. I am positive I would have came out to a dead baby in the morning if I did not check on them.

I hope everyone had a great day!
Isn't Diamond the one who just gave you that fabulous green egg? That would have been heart breaking. Great catch. 👍👍👍👍

I love going out and telling my girls goodnight, seeing who is Spiders new favorite, who are now besties etc. Completes my day. Of course our temps are never what yours are so it is easy lol. Right now we are at a cool 77° and dark at 6:30

Back
Top Bottom