What did you do with your flock today?

Soft egg shells is almost always the cause of egg eating.

filling an egg with mustard will not work.

The hens need calcium or other vitamins. They may also have worms.

But, my guess is that they are low on vitamins from your heat wave.

Please give them Oyster shell calcium and a good vitamin like rooster booster.

The egg eating will go away quickly that way.

The egg eating hen is a myth

Welllllllllll, I have a large bowl of oyster shells and large bowl of grit and they still ate an egg today!

Today with my flock, I had found out one of my hens was eating eggs! GREAT!! JUST GREAT!!
Can you go out to collect the eggs more frequently? I used to have egg eaters a few years ago, but I found replacing the eggs with fake eggs/golf balls and collecting the eggs a few times a day helped.

This makes a lot of sense. Now that I think about it, I only had issues with one hen who had chronic egg issues. I haven’t had any issues since she died.

Aloha gang, just catching up to all of the fun. Yeah, I started worming my flock pre summer and have no regrets, only positive. Like yesterday... even though it is hot and humid I collected 13 eggs.... and I only have 12 laying hens lol, gotta love that! Actually that cute little feral hen has taken to laying in our boxes so no big mystery, just awesome to get a full house in this heat! It is amazing how much nutrition worms and heat take out of the girls, Great advice @ronott1 , I'd take it.
So my neighbor took on a very starving, sick and orphan (4wk old) kitten... and needed my help with it so I had to do the chick shuffle so I could house it in my top brooder while I bring it to good health. Glad I never lent out my mobile brooder as I am alternating chicks in it now for outside time- which is working very well. Today, for fathers day I locked the hens in the run so the roos can stretch their legs.
I am on day 4 with the kitten and he has put on some good weight. We have gotten rid of the majority of it fleas and it now has both eyes open, though still swollen and a potential health problem, it is good to see him tracking and even a little play. The day they handed him over the fence I was thinking the little creature could die any second it saw so emaciated, sick and beat.
Had a few request for chicks so been thinking about a big combat hatch again... probably take 30-40 eggs to my friend to hatch as the 4th is around the corner. I will put 15-20 in my incubator this afternoon too just to hedge my bets. I never not sell them yet so what the heck right? These Brahma hatches are beautiful.

K. Well, we got a nice little rain going on now, perfect. Happy Fathers Day all. I hope you are spending it well. Aloha!!!

Back
Top Bottom