What did you do with your flock today?

While it’s officially now Tuesday…I cannot sleep so it’s actually the longest Monday ever :p I haven’t felt very good all day and now I’m laying here trying to calm down my nerves from my evening fun. First I decided to do one more round of Elector PSP for the mites, which meant spraying down 19 chickens and leaving me wet and very dirty, and then when I went out tonight to tuck in the birds I found one of my handicapped quail with giant poop balls on her three main toes on the leg she doesn’t really use. :-( I feel awful I didn’t notice until it hadn’t gotten so bad! She’s such a trooper and acts normal so I just didn’t notice :-(

So, I brought her inside and spent an hour soaking her feet and slowly chipping away at the gross balls that I swear are like cement!! After an hour of this torture, I’d finally gotten all the poop off and she was bleeding from two of the toes where the toenail came off with the ball. :-( so then I had to put styptic powder on her toes! By now she’s all wet, bloody, and shaking from the cold wetness, as am I…not to mention all the bird poop in my fingernails! And yet she still just sat there and let me do what needed doing! Such a sweet little bird. I tried dealing with bumblefoot in a different little quail a couple months ago and the stress of it gave her a heart attack and she died in my hands. I now get super stressed out when I have to handle them for too long like this! I think once I get the new quail all moved outside she may come back inside and be my inside bird where I can keep a better eye on her poor little toes. She’s also my best and most consistent layer. Nothing seems to phase her! Ugh. Anyway, now I'm all wired and can’t sleep so I figured I’d share my fun with you all haha. Hope you’re all sleeping well!
Oh gosh, what a sweet girl ♡. Sorry you had such a long and worrisome day. Glad she is ok and way to go mom! ♡♡♡ Bravo!
I hope you finally got some good rest in and today all is well in your world.

Happy Wednesday everyone! I’m feeling sort of sad tonight! I didn’t get to spend time with my chickens today because I had to work and now I’m pet/house sitting for someone so I ran out of time! 😩 They’re super cute dogs but they’re not my chickens! ❤️ Biggest issue with this job is the younger lab needs at least 90 mins of walking a day or he destroys the house :-/ I don’t even walk MY dogs that long. So I gotta go to bed early to fit in the walk!! I’m making my husband video the night time tuck in check so I know they’re all happily sleeping 😴

Attachments

• 3025DE37-223B-41B1-9C0F-D4DC3AF00ED2.jpeg
    3025DE37-223B-41B1-9C0F-D4DC3AF00ED2.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 48BD3D6E-6F31-47C3-BC8A-C2561FC4828F.jpeg
    48BD3D6E-6F31-47C3-BC8A-C2561FC4828F.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 1
Happy Wednesday all!
A tree fell on the powerlines last eve and it was an all day affair to get it back up and running. 2 crews did fabulous and quick work. Just took them a bit to get here cuz the drive.
A few were pretty impressed and crushing on my chooks. I can blame them. The big Brahma roos steal the show. I should have sent them all home with their very own cockerel... if only I had thought quicker..
20210922_132106.jpg
20210922_132347.jpg

Then Forest managed to lock me out of the cabin lol so, I had to break in.
Chooks got early snacks and less outside time because of the drama.. I scrubbed waters, filled feeders etc.

Happy Wednesday all!
A tree fell on the powerlines last eve and it was an all day affair to get it back up and running. 2 crews did fabulous and quick work. Just took them a bit to get here cuz the drive.
A few were pretty impressed and crushing on my chooks. I can blame them. The big Brahma roos steal the show. I should have sent them all home with their very own cockerel... if only I had thought quicker..View attachment 2843341View attachment 2843340
Chooks got early snacks and less outside time because of the drama.. I scrubbed waters, filled feeders etc.
Wow! Adventurous day for you! I like the idea of handing out cockerels! 😆 Glad you were able to break in to your cabin! Naughty Forest! 😁

Happy Wednesday all!
A few were pretty impressed and crushing on my chooks. I can blame them. The big Brahma roos steal the show. I should have sent them all home with their very own cockerel... if only I had thought quicker..View attachment 2843341View attachment 2843340
What kind of trees are those the bark on the one (bottom left) is crazy cool! 😵‍💫

I went and sat with them for close observation. I have a very little silkie roo who I often notice running and flapping about and doing little jumps.... since he's turned out a roo he has been renamed from Dolly to Jumpy Jack. Anyway I wasn't sure why he was such a spunky little thing till today when I watched them very closely. Turns out he's chasing flies and other little bugs, he even went after a butterfly! Very amusing to watch.

Back
Top Bottom