What did you do with your flock today?

What is that interesting old building next door? A neighbors house?
It is on my back neighbors property, but not inhabited by humans anyway! 😆 Believe it or not, we were told it is a dilapidated chicken house!

My neighbor is about 90 years old and owns about an acre behind us and now the local wildlife call it home :) We get possums, skunks, rats, deer, squirrels, coyotes, and raptors in her backyard so I try to keep the area clean and the food and treats only in their coops.

It sort of creeps me out though! Lots of noises over there that you can’t see haha. I cannot imagine what it looks like inside 😳

Saw three deer in the tree farms trees this evening no phone around to take a picture and just at my sight line ..
I see raptors but they do not come around here not sure why but not going to fight it ..
Yeah, it’s great that they don’t come around! I’m hoping the bird was disappointed in what he found and moved on! I’ve been looking up in the trees before I let them out but no sign of him since! Fingers crossed.

I am having some anxiety and hoping you all can help me. My favorite little girl Fuzzbert is almost 7 months old, so nearing egg laying any day now. She has been getting pestered by my cockerel for at least a week, so I was thinking she might be close. Today she has started acting really different than her usual busy self. Eevee also spent time standing over her like he was protecting her today while she laid down. Her typical day is very focused on foraging and chatting and today she has spent most of it laying down. She doesn’t look or sound or really act sick, just laying down a lot. Is this a sign she’s getting ready to lay? I don’t like worrying about her and don’t have any point of reference on chickens nearing lay, since I’ve never had a chicken before this year! :) Are there things I can look for as signs to help? Thanks wise chicken friends!

Attachments

• C2505409-6FF2-46A7-88BA-814CF7DF5ABA.jpeg
    C2505409-6FF2-46A7-88BA-814CF7DF5ABA.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 8A436E11-3D0A-4940-85C6-EA1C067C9068.jpeg
    8A436E11-3D0A-4940-85C6-EA1C067C9068.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 2
  • 9CE9A6C4-F564-4A14-8D3E-0511D75579B8.jpeg
    9CE9A6C4-F564-4A14-8D3E-0511D75579B8.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 2
I am having some anxiety and hoping you all can help me. My favorite little girl Fuzzbert is almost 7 months old, so nearing egg laying any day now. She has been getting pestered by my cockerel for at least a week, so I was thinking she might be close. Today she has started acting really different than her usual busy self. Eevee also spent time standing over her like he was protecting her today while she laid down. Her typical day is very focused on foraging and chatting and today she has spent most of it laying down. She doesn’t look or sound or really act sick, just laying down a lot. Is this a sign she’s getting ready to lay? I don’t like worrying about her and don’t have any point of reference on chickens nearing lay, since I’ve never had a chicken before this year! :) Are there things I can look for as signs to help? Thanks wise chicken friends!
That’s weird. Is she still eating and drinking? Have you checked for any kind of parasites? Maybe she’s looking for a place to lay. Have you noticed if she lays down everywhere, or if it’s only in certain spots, like places with lots of grass, or good nesting places?
Hopefully it’s nothing serious.

That’s weird. Is she still eating and drinking? Have you checked for any kind of parasites? Maybe she’s looking for a place to lay. Have you noticed if she lays down everywhere, or if it’s only in certain spots, like places with lots of grass, or good nesting places?
Hopefully it’s nothing serious.
She is eating and drinking and joined everyone for treats, and also spunky enough to go after some of the baby chickens too. No sign of mites, no sickly sounds, eyes are bright and clear and not molting. She generally chose places under or near cover to lay, but she chooses to lay under the cover most of the time when lounging. I know silkies don’t always use nest boxes, so I wondered if she was just gonna lay wherever. I hope she’s okay too 😩

She is eating and drinking and joined everyone for treats, and also spunky enough to go after some of the baby chickens too. No sign of mites, no sickly sounds, eyes are bright and clear and not molting. She generally chose places under or near cover to lay, but she chooses to lay under the cover most of the time when lounging. I know silkies don’t always use nest boxes, so I wondered if she was just gonna lay wherever. I hope she’s okay too 😩
It sounds like she’s just trying to find a place to lay. I’m assuming she knows where the nests are? It probably can’t hurt to show them to her again, especially if she hasn’t seen them recently. My birds have never been the brightest, so I often have to stick them in the nests a few times before they get the hang of it. Fake eggs have also helped me.
As far as Eevee standing over her, in my (limited) experience with roosters, I noticed they sometimes like to hang out next to their girls while they lay, especially if it’s a favorite girlfriend.

I know it can be hard not to worry, especially when it’s a favorite bird. She sounds like she’s okay to me, but I’d still keep an eye on her just in case. Maybe you’ll get to have an early Easter egg hunt. ;P

It sounds like she’s just trying to find a place to lay. I’m assuming she knows where the nests are? It probably can’t hurt to show them to her again, especially if she hasn’t seen them recently. My birds have never been the brightest, so I often have to stick them in the nests a few times before they get the hang of it. Fake eggs have also helped me.
As far as Eevee standing over her, in my (limited) experience with roosters, I noticed they sometimes like to hang out next to their girls while they lay, especially if it’s a favorite girlfriend.

I know it can be hard not to worry, especially when it’s a favorite bird. She sounds like she’s okay to me, but I’d still keep an eye on her just in case. Maybe you’ll get to have an early Easter egg hunt. ;P
Yeah, I have a couple of fake eggs in the nest boxes, but it’s not a bad idea to remind her that’s a good spot for some privacy again! She’s not really a fan of going up the ramp into the coop part—I use the whole prefab coop as a coop, so they can sleep on the roost bars and stay cool in the horrid summer.

It did seem like Eevee was sort of concerned for her but I may just be projecting my own desires to believe he’s a loving boy to his ladies haha. I sure hope she lays an egg! It would be fun for her to be the first egg I’ve ever gotten since she’s the teeniest and favorite chicken hehe. I’m also pretty sure she will be my broodiest chicken. She’s very calm and sweet and patient and just seems like the type to wanna raise babies all the time. 🥴

Back
Top Bottom