What did you do with your flock today?

Aloha gang!
Well @ my chicken estate I am happy to report that my 2 bigger cases of fowlpox seem to be headed in the right direction today. I was almost a little worried... the little FTT is pretty beat but eating on its own now. The 4 month old cockerel is still a little low but looks like he will be fine. Again, up swing. All the feral baby chicks in the hood seem to have died. It was a pretty bad case this time. All my others seem to be in the clear and even a rsl was checking the upper or low-level hen nest box.

Im done with my quarantine and was on horse duty this morning, weather is so nice I took my scooter- mask and no other humans. Thought of all you cold weather folks so here is some more sunshine. Little Storm who follows me around everywhere I go and makes me happy. He was an orphan that I raised and also mended when he broke his leg. 3 month recovery and no limp ;) Anywho, we feed all the chickens down there but he gets extra from me and DH ♡.
20220119_105429~4.jpg
20220119_105601~2.jpg

Aloha gang!
Well @ my chicken estate I am happy to report that my 2 bigger cases of fowlpox seem to be headed in the right direction today. I was almost a little worried... the little FTT is pretty beat but eating on its own now. The 4 month old cockerel is still a little low but looks like he will be fine. Again, up swing. All the feral baby chicks in the hood seem to have died. It was a pretty bad case this time. All my others seem to be in the clear and even a rsl was checking the upper or low-level hen nest box.

Im done with my quarantine and was on horse duty this morning, weather is so nice I took my scooter- mask and no other humans. Thought of all you cold weather folks so here is some more sunshine. Little Storm who follows me around everywhere I go and makes me happy. He was an orphan that I raised and also mended when he broke his leg. 3 month recovery and no limp ;) Anywho, we feed all the chickens down there but he gets extra from me and DH ♡.View attachment 2966213View attachment 2966204
Oh man!! I’m glad all your chickies seem to be on the mend…poor baby feral chicks :-( Storm is adorable!! 😍😍

Oh man!! I’m glad all your chickies seem to be on the mend…poor baby feral chicks :-( Storm is adorable!! 😍😍
@TropicalBabies

☝️This❣

I'm happy to hear you got off quarantine and can enjoy some fresh air with your horses.

I am blown away by the idea of feral chickens just being all around. Thats just so neat! I feel bad for them being sick. Is fowlpox something that happens there regularly? ☹

@TropicalBabies

☝️This❣

I'm happy to hear you got off quarantine and can enjoy some fresh air with your horses.

I am blown away by the idea of feral chickens just being all around. Thats just so neat! I feel bad for them being sick. Is fowlpox something that happens there regularly? ☹
Unfortunately yes, 2-3x per year but they only get it once. So, I am usually a little happy when I see it so we can get it over with. Normally, my healthy chickens breeze through it and well, 9 on mine did with just a spot or 2. But I have a little failure to thrive chick who got it bad and I am surprise it is doing so well being an FTT and a cockerel who may have some underlying condition that I have not figured out yet. The power of syringe for 3 days assured them nutrition so their body could mend.
I hate to say it... I would not have been too heart broken if either one did not make it and even thought about culling when they first got sick. A failure to thrive wont ever add up to much and will die easily of something else and the cockerel... well, he is an extra that I will have to find a home for. But working through their illness fine tunes my chicken doctor/nursing skills for when it is important. Seems like our journey together continues ♡

I have a vet appointment for the foster zombies today but will try to get a photo of them later. FTT is a little shocking.

Your experience and description got me looking into more info on fowlpox. I guess the big divide is between those who vaccinate for it and those who don't. I know if might mean losing a bird here and there, but aside from Mareks, I think ill skip vaccinations for my birds. Survival of the fittest and all... I am super glad I now know what to look for though ... and what to do if/when it visits my flock!!!

I am not opposed to vaccinating. It is just that it is upward of $80 here and when you have a few birds it does not add up especially if you can just ease them through it and they come out better for it. I'd rather invest in the vitamins and I always have the time for my flock :love
This is the worst case that I have had in my birds but this is a ftt so surprised it did not take it out. Heck, surprised the cat did not eat it. Poor thing. Well, guess I am going to have to name it lol

Wormed them for the first time. Now that was an experience... After a terrible time trying to dissolve the powder into a small amount of water and syringe feed it to the first chicken I tired mixing the pill powder into berries and oatmeal. This worked for most of the girls. Two of them though refused to eat so they had to be syringed as well. There has got to be a better method than this holy moly. This was bad enough with 13 chickens and we have 22 more chicks coming in the spring. I have some more sleuthing to do for best methods.

I am not opposed to vaccinating. It is just that it is upward of $80 here and when you have a few birds it does not add up especially if you can just ease them through it and they come out better for it. I'd rather invest in the vitamins and I always have the time for my flock :love
This is the worst case that I have had in my birds but this is a ftt so surprised it did not take it out. Heck, surprised the cat did not eat it. Poor thing. Well, guess I am going to have to name it lol
What vitamins do you give, how much, and how often? Do you add to their water or food.

Wormed them for the first time. Now that was an experience... After a terrible time trying to dissolve the powder into a small amount of water and syringe feed it to the first chicken I tired mixing the pill powder into berries and oatmeal. This worked for most of the girls. Two of them though refused to eat so they had to be syringed as well. There has got to be a better method than this holy moly. This was bad enough with 13 chickens and we have 22 more chicks coming in the spring. I have some more sleuthing to do for best methods.
It does get easier even 35 birds. What are you using to worm them?

If you come up with a plan, please share. People here at the local farm supply store tell me they just add a bit of diatomaceous earth to their food once every 3-4 months, but I'm not sure that's actually effective or good.

Back
Top Bottom