What did you do with your flock today?

I went to our State Fair last night to see Willey Nelson. That was my excuse to check out all of the ducks, LOL. I saw Call Ducks for the very first time and fell in love. They are sooooooo cute!!!! I have bigger ones though and don't know if they would mix well with them if I even could find any in Ohio. Hatcheries don't sell them that I know of but the ones at the fair were absolutely beautiful. I don't need more ducks, I don't need more ducks, I don't need more ducks!! I need to have my head tested!!! LOL
We got ours from Purely Poultry as day old hatchlings. My oldest daughter got them for me as a gift. She ordered six hatchery choice but she mentioned that she really wanted snowies...lol. They we're very sweet and sent 2 snowies, 2 white, 1 black bibbed and 1 blue bibbed. Unfortunately three died in shipping but that looked like postal rough handling as the gel food they shipped with was smeared all over the top and sides. From those three we now have snowies, white and black bibbed. One was probably show quality...it was so so tiny! Unfortunately that one didn't make it. ☹️
Hatchery’s do if you find the right one….BUT I only found that they sell them as adults. There is a place in Wisconsin that sells babies and they have some calls and I know they still have white call and snowy call.

I didn't take photos, but we let the birds come into the kitchen for snacks of sunflower seeds and oats. It was 91° almost 100% humidity. I did spray down a few areas to cool things off. They do have plenty of shade and tall growth and trees to stay cool.
Later, I chopped up some cold cabbage and brought it out to them. Toward early evening, we sat on the coop front step and they hung out.
As always, when they roosted, I opened the coop door to talk to them and review the day. I always finish the conversation telling them I'm going to close up everything so they will be safe and cozy. I always end with "Good night, be good to each other, sleep well, and have good chicken dreams"
That sounds so sweet!

Today was all about tieing up some cats claw vine that's getting out of hand. When I did my evening rounds though I saw the peas were shedding their feathers getting ready for fall...so I collected a small feather bouquet off the ground. Sure sign that my kids are growing up... it's the first time in years that I've gotten to pick up any pea feathers!
20220806_185848.jpg

I didn't take photos, but we let the birds come into the kitchen for snacks of sunflower seeds and oats. It was 91° almost 100% humidity. I did spray down a few areas to cool things off. They do have plenty of shade and tall growth and trees to stay cool.
Later, I chopped up some cold cabbage and brought it out to them. Toward early evening, we sat on the coop front step and they hung out.
As always, when they roosted, I opened the coop door to talk to them and review the day. I always finish the conversation telling them I'm going to close up everything so they will be safe and cozy. I always end with "Good night, be good to each other, sleep well, and have good chicken dreams"
I do much the same here. Welcome to thread.

I picked up the stuff for contacts. Think it was like $5 over here so, $o.50 anywhere else 😂View attachment 3212743
I used it when my pullet had an eye infection and she really liked it believe it or not. Worked great and was part of her heal.
Oh, interesting! I’m glad it worked for you.
So on my walk I ran into a wild pig and one broody junglefowl who scared the geezers out of me. I could not find her nest even though I looked for a few minutes. A few photos to shareView attachment 3212826View attachment 3212828View attachment 3212829View attachment 3212833View attachment 3212839👆baby pig track, 👇wild coffee plant mixed with wild blackberry and guavaView attachment 3212831View attachment 3212846
I love seeing your pictures! They’re always so pretty. ❤️
Well we lost Nanny Og today. We've had her so long that I can't remember how old she was! Shes only laid one egg in the last 3 years though...we promptly stuck it and two rare eggs from our other ancient chicken, Granny Weatherwax, into the incubator and all three hatched out roosters 😵‍💫. That was last year. Think she passed peacefully overnight though. She was the sweetest little easter egger ever.

I felt all better when I woke up this morning so it must have been that carpet dust. Wow that stuff was nasty!

Moved some babies outside today, was given three more pea eggs by our lovely neighbor and the new dwarf babies started hatching for the lady coming mid-month. Most of today was given over to my youngest though.

@TropicalBabies such a beautiful place to take a stroll!
I’m sorry for your loss. : (
I let my dwarfs out to play for the first time tonight. It was so relaxing just sitting there watching them ❤️View attachment 3213037View attachment 3213038View attachment 3213039They got to meet the tortoise and thought he was scary...lol. He's a vegetarian though so they'll get used to him.View attachment 3213040My big dogs came and hung out with us so I could come and go...but I kinda just sat 🤣 I always feel more relaxed when the dogs are helping...hawks might not always care about me...but they don't like my dogs.View attachment 3213041
And the peafowl got so excited..think they couldn't believe I wasn't letting them out too.View attachment 3213043
I did bring the baby peas out to play though. The babies don't try to eat the chickens!View attachment 3213046They we're so funny at bedtime...they kept heading in, changing their minds and going back out to play some more. But they did finally decide it was time to go in.View attachment 3213045
And my can flowers with a fresh coat of paint. I have some more all cut out that I never got around to painting. They're sitting in a box waiting for me to find a place for them. I might dig them out and put them to use too. View attachment 3213054
I love your birds! And tortoise and dog. Do you just have the one tortoise, or do you have others?
Hey good morning all second cup of coffee to be had.
Took new photos of my banty hard to see Shift knob in most but pretty clear in this one.View attachment 3213451
I’m so jealous of your silkies! They’re adorable!
I love the markings on that chicken, So smooooth lol and the roosters great too.
Thanks!

Nugget went back outside yesterday. I tried putting her on the deck, but she wasn’t a fan. She’s still acting sick, but she’s been healthy enough to put herself to bed. Now I just need to make sure she’s still eating out there.

I also weighed the problem birds and babies. Nugget and Molly lost a tiiiiiny bit of weight, but nothing that has me worried (yet). Beigie is the same, Sonny gained a pound, and the two newest additions, Squirrel and Fergus, got weighed for the first time. Squirrel is 2lbs and Fergie is 3lbs. They’re so big already! <3

So happy to see that I am not the only one that talks all the time to their birds. My Ducks really do understand certain words like when I tell them to get back in the pen. The know what "Don't make me get the stick means, lol." I have never used it on them but they don't like me holding a 6'pole to herd them back in if they decide that they are having a stubborn day. It's been hot here too with humidity but fall will be here before we know it and then comes the ice and snow.

We got ours from Purely Poultry as day old hatchlings. My oldest daughter got them for me as a gift. She ordered six hatchery choice but she mentioned that she really wanted snowies...lol. They we're very sweet and sent 2 snowies, 2 white, 1 black bibbed and 1 blue bibbed. Unfortunately three died in shipping but that looked like postal rough handling as the gel food they shipped with was smeared all over the top and sides. From those three we now have snowies, white and black bibbed. One was probably show quality...it was so so tiny! Unfortunately that one didn't make it. ☹️

That sounds so sweet!
ChicksnMore I loved your pictures!!! Thanks for telling me about where you got your call ducks. Do you have any larger ducks with them? That was my concern, I have Muscovy, Rouen a Khaki Campbell and Mallards now. I loved your Tourtois too. Where are you located at? Thanks again for your help.

Good morning gang. Lively thread :lol:

@The Tiny Homestead love the picture you painted and hope you will attach photos in the future. Your flock sounds absolutely lovely and very loved. So, a homesteader and a chicken poet ♡
Never thought of cabbage to cool the flock 🤔💡 I like it!

@ChicksnMore Wow! Just wow!!! What an amazing bonus. Thank you for sharing ♡ I forgot how beautiful a boutique of pea feathers can be ♡♡♡ the master artist does not miss a trick.

@FrankieDoodle I am happy you are having an upswing Nugget. 🙏🙏🙏

I think all this talk of ducks requires some photos for this thread! (Since I can't have any ducks)

We still have some clouds streaming in from the south that are producing heavy rain at times. I was able to free range the flock for about an hour in the morning while I raked. I locked them up and then cut some wood in the forest and continued my step project. Put away tools and then the rain came down hard for more or less the rest of the afternoon. It was lovely
20220806_133341.jpg

Supposed to be like this for a few more days and it is a blessing- though I need to figure out more rain shelter for the flock today.

Oh, interesting! I’m glad it worked for you.

I love seeing your pictures! They’re always so pretty. ❤️

I’m sorry for your loss. : (

I love your birds! And tortoise and dog. Do you just have the one tortoise, or do you have others?

I’m so jealous of your silkies! They’re adorable!

Thanks!

Nugget went back outside yesterday. I tried putting her on the deck, but she wasn’t a fan. She’s still acting sick, but she’s been healthy enough to put herself to bed. Now I just need to make sure she’s still eating out there.

I also weighed the problem birds and babies. Nugget and Molly lost a tiiiiiny bit of weight, but nothing that has me worried (yet). Beigie is the same, Sonny gained a pound, and the two newest additions, Squirrel and Fergus, got weighed for the first time. Squirrel is 2lbs and Fergie is 3lbs. They’re so big already! <3
Just one tortoise. Hope Nugget eats well. Love your names for your chickens...Squirrel must be a funny bird!
ChicksnMore I loved your pictures!!! Thanks for telling me about where you got your call ducks. Do you have any larger ducks with them? That was my concern, I have Muscovy, Rouen a Khaki Campbell and Mallards now. I loved your Tourtois too. Where are you located at? Thanks again for your help.
I'm in Arizona. I don't have any large ducks so no idea how that would go.

Back
Top Bottom