What did you do with your flock today?

@Shetland lover if you get a chance to ask your vet school friends a question for me—could you ask them how long after the dermatitis has cleared and the skin has healed might the chicken start to recover physically? I worry every day that she sleeps versus getting up and moving her legs more that she’s not recovering and trying not to give up and stay positive! She’s got plenty of sass and is eating more which is a good sign, but I was hoping to see more attempts at walking again. Thanks!!
I asked for a few tips re Asha's recovery from the vets on my course and gangrenous dermatitis (GD) isn't something that vets encounter very often in pet chickens here. They suggested from what they do know that recovery can be slow and Asha will probably be immunosuppressed for some time.
If GD recurs try tetracycline, doxycycline or tylosin tartrate as an alternative to penicillin based antibiotics.
It's worth supplementing with biotin to improve the skin's resistance to cuts and scratches. Vitamin E and selenium deficiency has been implicated in GD so giving a few extra doses of those specifically may help.
Decent prebiotics and probiotics are recommended as they will help support her post antibiotics and also out-compete the responsible bacteria for GD from re-establishing a foothold. It should also provoke an anti-inflammatory response and make the gastrointestinal tract more hostile to GD bacteria.
Also suggested was dosing her water every other day with copper sulphate at 1part per 2000 for 3 doses, giving fresh, plain water in between. Also, stop adding iodine after you've administered it in water for 5 times.
And keep up the massage and physiotherapy as leg weakness is common post infection.
That was about all they could suggest other than good husbandry, one suggested using bio-dry in the bedding. I use bio-dry, it's a mineral powder that absorbs 3 times it's own weight in water so it helps keep the coop fresh and the bedding dry so 'bad' bacteria finds it hard to proliferate. It's brilliant stuff and lasts ages. I don't know if it's available over there but maybe you'll have something similar?
Oh, and they said deep litter systems can be an ideal breeding ground for clostridium and staph bacteria so wouldn't recommend keeping susceptible birds on it. Obviously, i don't know what your particular set-up is. And don't compost or spread GD contaminated litter/bedding on the land. Burn or dispose of it some other way.

Sorry it's such a long post but we had a big discussion about her with lots of ideas. I don't know if any of that is of help. Reading between the lines, I think basically you have to be patient and keep working with her. I know you will because you love her. Don't give up hope. Especially as one of them commented on how well you've done to get her this far, given the very short period between incubation and mortality.

Last edited:
Just another thought re her mobility. Have you seen hen "wheelchairs"? I had one for Peggy when she was recovering from her hip fracture. It gives them enough support to help them move around without fully weight-bearing but makes them use their legs enough to strengthen them. I'm trying to find a photo of her in it but no luck so far.

Well both of my Leghorns laid a good egg today…maybe it is just a matter of working things out. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I’m just glad that Lilo and Stitch are ok!
Yay! I'm so happy for you and your ladies :weeI asked on my course and everyone was in agreement that given their age the soft shells are most likely just their reproductive systems settling down.

Here is a forward from my pal on the Big Island. She and her hunky went to check out the Mauna Loa lava flow last eve. View attachment 3337075View attachment 3337076
My younger self would also like to hit the BI to see this...
Amazing! Is the eruption what brought that amazing sunset?
I was reading earlier that the lava flow is running dangerously close to the lab that collects carbon data, they lost electricity Monday, and are still unable to resume.
Many effects on your island?
So impressed that you are getting to your x-mas cards already. I have not even thought about carving out time for that yet. I am feeling a little inspired by you 🎄🤶
@ChicksnMore where do you think dh wants to move to and wow! You have such a beautiful and charming set up, it would be hard to leave all that peaceful beauty. Understand the downsizing and keeping it simple... or trying to.
I have no desire to move ..lol. DH was talking about Seattle recently...he might be just talking...he's brought the thought up enough times though to be cautious. Goats live a long time while our horse is old.
I asked for a few tips re Asha's recovery from the vets on my course and gangrenous dermatitis (GD) isn't something that vets encounter very often in pet chickens here. They suggested from what they do know that recovery can be slow and Asha will probably be immunosuppressed for some time.
If GD recurs try tetracycline, doxycycline or tylosin tartrate as an alternative to penicillin based antibiotics.
It's worth supplementing with biotin to improve the skin's resistance to cuts and scratches. Vitamin E and selenium deficiency has been implicated in GD so giving a few extra doses of those specifically may help.
Decent prebiotics and probiotics are recommended as they will help support her post antibiotics and also out-compete the responsible bacteria for GD from re-establishing a foothold. It should also provoke an anti-inflammatory response and make the gastrointestinal tract more hostile to GD bacteria.
Also suggested was dosing her water every other day with copper sulphate at 1part per 2000 for 3 doses, giving fresh, plain water in between. Also, stop adding iodine after you've administered it in water for 5 times.
And keep up the massage and physiotherapy as leg weakness is common post infection.
That was about all they could suggest other than good husbandry, one suggested using bio-dry in the bedding. I use bio-dry, it's a mineral powder that absorbs 3 times it's own weight in water so it helps keep the coop fresh and the bedding dry so 'bad' bacteria finds it hard to proliferate. It's brilliant stuff and lasts ages. I don't know if it's available over there but maybe you'll have something similar?
Oh, and they said deep litter systems can be an ideal breeding ground for clostridium ans staph bacteria so wouldn't recommend keeping susceptible birds on it. Obviously, i don't know what your particular set-up is. And don't compost or spread GD contaminated litter/bedding on the land. Burn or dispose of it some other way.

Sorry it's such a long post but we had a big discussion about her with lots of ideas. I don't know if any of that is of help. Reading between the lines, I think basically you have to be patient and keep working with her. I know you will because you love her. Don't give up hope. Especially as one of them commented on how well you've done to get her this far, given the very short period between incubation and mortality.
Bio-dry sounds amazing! No risks from chickens eating it or dusting in it?

It's handy having someone here with such nice access to vets and learning so much! 😃🥳❤️

Amazing! Is the eruption what brought that amazing sunset?
I was reading earlier that the lava flow is running dangerously close to the lab that collects carbon data, they lost electricity Monday, and are still unable to resume.
Many effects on your island?

I have no desire to move ..lol. DH was talking about Seattle recently...he might be just talking...he's brought the thought up enough times though to be cautious. Goats live a long time while our horse is old.

Bio-dry sounds amazing! No risks from chickens eating it or dusting in it?

It's handy having someone here with such nice access to vets and learning so much! 😃🥳❤️
I LOVE Seattle!! I miss it SSOO much! But honestly I am just as happy on my little starter farm. I would have a REALLY hard time leaving my chickens and ducks behind (selling them). But if I could go though for a little I would be the happiest person ever. There or Elizabeth City, NC. Lived there too! Being so close to the beach but not close enough that my house would be wiped out by waves. I was there for a hurricane once and that was crazy!

Well both of my Leghorns laid a good egg today…maybe it is just a matter of working things out. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I’m just glad that Lilo and Stitch are ok!
I love their names!
My Zoolander rooster 😂 I agree! He is my phones locked screen and I do have an original painting of him. Been thinking he needs to be the image for my farm bags.
I would love to see the painting if you have pics! I’ve been painting birds all week, lol.
Yesss, I bet he’d make a fantastic image for your bags!

? Really? Are you in the same state now? If we didn't own our house free and clear, we may have moved out of this state by now. Too expensive quite recently, among other issues. How long ago were you here? Real estate is insanely high in Seattle, so much so that many are moving away to less expensive areas, like mine, thereby driving our market way up.

Oh, and they said deep litter systems can be an ideal breeding ground for clostridium ans staph bacteria so wouldn't recommend keeping susceptible birds on it. Obviously, i don't know what your particular set-up is. And don't compost or spread GD contaminated litter/bedding on the land. Burn or dispose of it some other way.

This is super helpful!! Thanks so much ❤️❤️ I am happy to hear their suggestions! She’s been getting B complex and E but I was afraid to give her selenium since it’s easier to OD. I do have some thought so I will look into adding it! I hadn’t thought of Biotin but that’s a good idea! The Poultry Cell I give her has some probiotics what are good prebiotics?

That Bio Dry sounds great! I googled Bio Dry and it’s something you use to soak up oil stains—is that the stuff? I’ve been using First Saturday Lime to help dry out things and the bedding/litter I use has zeolite in it…but maybe something like the bio dry would help in this coop especially!

She is definitely getting her appetite back and her leg is bending a bit better, so I will try these extra suggestions and be patient! I am also gonna Google chicken wheelchairs :) She’s gonna go on our road trip to the beach I think too. I love the husband, but he will not be a good chicken nurse 👨‍⚕️ 😁

Attachments

• F95878A6-06F6-4104-8EFE-04E51B32019E.jpeg
    F95878A6-06F6-4104-8EFE-04E51B32019E.jpeg
    554.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 5D61B0EC-4053-467E-AC8D-F66E56DCA632.jpeg
    5D61B0EC-4053-467E-AC8D-F66E56DCA632.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom