What did you do with your flock today?

Woke up to -34C temperatures (thankfully no wind), worried how cold it was in the coop. A couple of hours later when I went out to wake the chickens it it was -10C in the coop. Happy how well the coop expanse is working.
Very curious where you are located. 😳
That is blinking cold. Guess the rest of us will have to quit complaining about weather...🤔 Nah! Haha! But thanks for the perspective.

Unfortunately it didn’t do anything, she’s still getting worse. That said, I did save the recipe for future uses. I’ve got a girl with a massive comb that can get pretty dry and cracked in the summer months. I bet it’ll work really well for her. <3

Currently Molly is inside on a towel getting super secret snacks. She was a little scared at first, but now she’s living the life lol.
View attachment 3338583
View attachment 3338584
Poor girl. She looks like she loves the special attention. You can use an anti-fungal cream like Clotrimazole of the comb and facial tissue. Advice from @Wyorp Rock

Wow!! ONE day on poultry?? I’m starting to feel like as a chicken owner I could make a great chicken nurse 😆 I still couldn’t do anything requiring surgeries, but I feel like I’ve done all the things (I never thought I could do) for my chickens! I think it’s super cool you are able to participate and offer insights!

I will get some Biotin and maybe give one selenium pill to get her a bit now. I definitely had the wrong Bio-Dri :-D

I really appreciate all your suggestions and assistance! ❤️

Haha you should hear my backyard every morning! 10 roosters crowing, male quail crowing, the inside the house rooster crowing, and my kids yelling and fighting. It’s SO relaxing to wake up to 😆😆😆

Ruby roo is in the house this week so I can control his dry feet better. He’s getting daily pedicures with thick applications of Vaseline with cocoa butter and he crows a LOT 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ I think he’s very annoyed with me 😆 Today they all get baths in preparation of the trip to Paso for the poultry show! It’s currently raining so the outside birds should be a lovely mess tonight. Tomorrow morning I will have 4 roosters in the house…it’s good my husband loves me lots 😆😆

Okay cool, I will get some more of the PDZ and use it specifically in that coop so it goes further. I bought some once and caught the chickens eating it constantly so I got nervous and quit buying it! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Seriously, they try to eat ANYTHING! 🤪

Ohhh for that view again! 😩 I grew up in Idaho and I miss the snow and winter weather SO much! I hate the heat so much so living here in the summer is seriously torture. The very minute we retire we will be moving north to cooler weather, snow, and more land! Woohoo!
You're more than welcome Kurby22! I hope something helps. I know, 1 day is ridiculous. I was really shocked when they shared that fact on the course.

I think you're already a great chicken nurse! I get to watch quite a few surgical procedures via zoom, they are fascinating - good job I'm not at all squeamish. We watched an impacted crop surgery done under local anaesthetic and it brought it home how calm and resilient chickens are. The hen literally stood there, upright, while the surgical vet made an inscision, pulled the impacted material from her crop, flushed the wound and stitched her back up. She wasn't sedated. She was drinking within 2 hours and eating after 8. Amazing!

Fingers crossed for the show 🤞

Unfortunately it didn’t do anything, she’s still getting worse. That said, I did save the recipe for future uses. I’ve got a girl with a massive comb that can get pretty dry and cracked in the summer months. I bet it’ll work really well for her. <3

Currently Molly is inside on a towel getting super secret snacks. She was a little scared at first, but now she’s living the life lol.
View attachment 3338583
View attachment 3338584
Poor Molly! At least she's eating well, which is always a good sign.

PopoMyers reply re the clotrimazole is sound advice. When we got Clara she had no head feathers and swollen, scaly skin. It looked a lot like really bad infant cradle cap. I applied clotrimazole twice daily (avoiding eyes of course) which cleared it up in a week and she had new pin feathers within two. You'd never know she'd been affected now. It might be worth a shot and it should'shouldn't do any harm.

Last edited:
One or both of the boys scared the new kid over the fence into my son's yard. In going over and trying to retrieve/scare him back over I just fell in love with the big goof. I could not do it after a few tries. Right b4 my son came home from work I notice Spider and Beetle and a feral crowing but no new boy answering. Oh no... so I went to go check on him to make sure the feral did not hurt him badly or try and kill. Even though I was about 30' away serious cock fights are pretty quiet. He was fine but the scrounge rooster was chasing him and I am sure would love to have hurt him. After scaring the badges away my son came home and we got him to go around the corner to the front of the house where I had the gate open for him. He went in but did not know where he was as most chickenjng is done in the back. I had to bribe my flock with treats to come to the front so he would follow them back. He is so adorable :love 🐓
Naughty boys! At least you managed to get him back in - I'd want to keep him too, he's a beautiful boy 😍

They are gorgeous paintings, the artist is very talented!

You're more than welcome Kurby22! I hope something helps. I know, 1 day is ridiculous. I was really shocked when they shared that fact on the course.

I think you're already a great chicken nurse! I get to watch quite a few surgical procedures via zoom, they are fascinating - good job I'm not at all squeamish. We watched an impacted crop surgery done under local anaesthetic and it brought it home how calm and resilient chickens are. The hen literally stood there, upright, while the surgical vet made an inscision, pulled the impacted material from her crop, flushed the wound and stitched her back up. She wasn't sedated. She was drinking within 2 hours and eating after 8. Amazing!

Fingers crossed for the show 🤞
Chickens tolerate a LOT :-/ I’m not sure the prognosis is good for Asha. She has a new symptom that makes me think there’s more going on internally that’s not clear. :-( She has stopped making sound when she complains or talks and this morning she seemed to be sort of straining to breathe :-( Is it possible that the bacteria did internal tissue damage that was too far gone to mend in time? She still eats like crazy but seems low in energy and sleeps more than I’d like. :-( I’m preparing myself :-( Thanks so much though for everything! ❤️🥺

Chickens tolerate a LOT :-/ I’m not sure the prognosis is good for Asha. She has a new symptom that makes me think there’s more going on internally that’s not clear. :-( She has stopped making sound when she complains or talks and this morning she seemed to be sort of straining to breathe :-( Is it possible that the bacteria did internal tissue damage that was too far gone to mend in time? She still eats like crazy but seems low in energy and sleeps more than I’d like. :-( I’m preparing myself :-( Thanks so much though for everything! ❤️🥺
Can you get Asha some tetracycline? She may not have had a long enough course of antibiotics as it is hard to clear and tetracycline is a 'better' antibiotic for GD than penicillin.
It may not be just down to the poor coop drainage. GD is frequently found after outbreaks of infectious bursal disease and other immunosuppressive viruses so she may have had something else lurking in the background.
Does she feel 'spongy' to the touch at all? Just thinking it might be the clostridium bacteria giving off gas in her body (gas gangrene) and making it hard for her to breathe.

Ìd definitely recommend getting some tetracycline if you can. It might give her enough of a chance to survive ❤️ :hugs

Can you get Asha some tetracycline? She may not have had a long enough course of antibiotics as it is hard to clear and tetracycline is a 'better' antibiotic for GD than penicillin.
It may not be just down to the poor coop drainage. GD is frequently found after outbreaks of infectious bursal disease and other immunosuppressive viruses so she may have had something else lurking in the background.
Does she feel 'spongy' to the touch at all? Just thinking it might be the clostridium bacteria giving off gas in her body (gas gangrene) and making it hard for her to breathe.

Ìd definitely recommend getting some tetracycline if you can. It might give her enough of a chance to survive ❤️ :hugs
Would Tylan work? We are on the road and I only brought it as my just in case med? I might be able to get a fish med of tetra if it’s better??

Back
Top Bottom