What did you do with your flock today?

Hahaha chickens are the worst garden destroyers 😆

Glad you had some nice days but I’m sorry that your contractors are so terrible! Your problems are exactly why I stress out about hiring anyone to do anything hahaha. Such a huge pain!

Well, I don’t have any flooding where I am…but all the rain caused a tragedy that I’m very upset with myself over. I came home from my therapy appointment on Wednesday night and Aria was sobbing and holding my rooster bobtail Cochin…and they told me they found his girlfriend Ms Muddi dead in her nest box 😢 I’m just devastated and mad at myself and so very heartbroken 💔 😢 I cleaned out the coop and wet bedding in the run and found bloody poops 😢 So I treated their water with Corid and desperately collected her eggs and put them in the incubator in hopes they might be fertile. I just adored her 😢 I feel like such a terrible chicken mom. I just wanted to wait out all the rain before trying to refresh bedding but I should have powered thru it. Such a brutal lesson learned. 😢💔 We’ve had two days of sun and get one more tomorrow before we get MORE rain. Several birds are sneezing, so everyone got some meds in their water and tomorrow we will be putting out fresh shavings to dry things out. The mud is out of control. So sadly, I’m in a bummed out mood and feeling bad. Other than that, I have been working on my chicken logo and plans for the Poultry Expo. I may mainly take quail and d’Anvers now since my bobtails won’t be producing anymore :-( And my bantam wheaten pullet hasn’t laid a single egg yet. 😩 Plus she isn’t alone and I can’t guarantee purebreds! Blah! Chickening is such an emotional rollercoaster!
I’m so sorry! I hope that her eggs are fertilized and you do end up with some of her beautiful babies! :hugs :hugs :hugs Hopefully the sun helps dry some things out before it rains again.

Just read about something called Chipdrop in another thread. They randomly drop off large loads of wood chips and/or logs from local arborists as they're available. It sounds wonderful and I just signed up. Thought I'd share in case anyone else would find it useful.

https://getchipdrop.com/
I had used signed up for that here and they just never came...then the contractor told my DH how it would cause so many mosquitoes and we should never do it. So DH took sign down.
On good note though he did seed grass over all that area he had cleaned off and it's growing up a storm! He agreed to keep it mowed so hopefully we won't have all that crud geow back and take over the yard like it has before so soon!
Ih n he plabted some flowering cherry trees thst are doin well over there too!
View attachment 3443054
I forgot to share a photo of the feral chickens up at the Lodge. Big crowd. I tossed them some yummy REAL chicken feed, not scratch and they all gobbled it up. If you zoom in you can see all of the chicks. Cute ♡
OMGeeze that is crazy how many there are just everywhere!!!

You have no idea lol, they ARE every where! Gotta love then.

So with a new day I have a new clue on Lady Ruby! I checked her crop this morning and what felt normal yesterday I feel a small impact today. So, coco oil and massage this morning after I get a cup of Joe in me and the sun comes out a little more. That makes sense with the rains and more likely than a 3rd repro issue- plus makes me super happy-er. I have emptied out the grandpa's feeder and will empty out the Greatest feeder too. Just a double check and stay in solution.
Ruby is in the garden with Ginger Mint and one of the Lani's having calm girl time. Love my partitions ☆☆☆

View attachment 3443054
I forgot to share a photo of the feral chickens up at the Lodge. Big crowd. I tossed them some yummy REAL chicken feed, not scratch and they all gobbled it up. If you zoom in you can see all of the chicks. Cute ♡
I just love that ❤️ I wish we had feral chickens here...is that a be careful what you wish for thing? I think I'd love it though!
Around here we have to be careful since we have a lot of cedar, and may get a load of that mixed in. We had a cedar and fir dropped, so mixed chips can't be used with the chooks. AZ shouldn't have that problem, right?
Ya...here it'd probably be mesquite, Palo Verde, eucalyptus mostly. Garden would love it for sure. Wonder if I'll ever actually get a drop? Would be wonderful. Cinnamon sounds adorable 🥰
I make topiary balls by wiring two hanging baskets together, cost about 10xless than a proper one. Could try doing that for chickens if anyone was inclined to try it.
I might try it for Snookums. Think she's going to end up ultra small. She looks like a young pullet rather then a chick ands maybe 2 - 2 1/2 inches tall...smaller than my fist, feathers and all. Have been taking her outside with me off and on which she loves, but keep worrying when she's out of sight. She disappears easily when she's exploring. Not sure it's a good idea though...but maybe worth trying 😂
I had used signed up for that here and they just never came...then the contractor told my DH how it would cause so many mosquitoes and we should never do it. So DH took sign down.
On good note though he did seed grass over all that area he had cleaned off and it's growing up a storm! He agreed to keep it mowed so hopefully we won't have all that crud geow back and take over the yard like it has before so soon!
Ih n he plabted some flowering cherry trees thst are doin well over there too!

Grass and cherry trees sound lovely 😍

You have no idea lol, they ARE every where! Gotta love then.

So with a new day I have a new clue on Lady Ruby! I checked her crop this morning and what felt normal yesterday I feel a small impact today. So, coco oil and massage this morning after I get a cup of Joe in me and the sun comes out a little more. That makes sense with the rains and more likely than a 3rd repro issue- plus makes me super happy-er. I have emptied out the grandpa's feeder and will empty out the Greatest feeder too. Just a double check and stay in solution.
Ruby is in the garden with Ginger Mint and one of the Lani's having calm girl time. Love my partitions ☆☆☆
Yay on Lady Ruby. Giving chicken massages is always preferable to bum issues ❤️

I'm having such a hard time guessing her age because of all the feather loss and damage. But Snookies cute anyway. Feathers are growing in!
20230325_133735.jpg
20230325_133734.jpg

Yay on Lady Ruby. Giving chicken massages is always preferable to bum issues ❤️
1 mil of coco oil (coco oil stays liquid here almost year round :eek:), a pleasant massage and I got it to move. Second massage about one hour later and it is moving pretty freely and she seems much perkyier.
Inspected all poops from the poop board closely this morning. All look pretty good. Jellybeans had a nice cecal poop on the board and that made me VERY happy. It seriously did lol 😆
I'm having such a hard time guessing her age because of all the feather loss and damage. But Snookies cute anyway. Feathers are growing in!View attachment 3443777View attachment 3443780
She is beautiful 😍

Well I’m officially very dumb and hopeless. Someone posted a breeding pair of bobtails on our local Facebook page and I’m vulnerable and sad so I bought them 😩🥴 Picking them up tomorrow. They’re even a similar age…not as perfect as Ms Muddi but I don’t care 😩 They are truly the sweetest Cochins I’ve ever owned.
E30837BD-2D6E-4CD3-8D7B-BC4E0CA6E856.jpeg

View attachment 3443054
They must hang around because visitors feed them. So many! Not so fun when they crow right outside the window at 2:00 am.

Back
Top Bottom