What did you do with your flock today?

Tuesday.
20230606_060131.jpg

The escapee and egg eater has been caught, wings clipped, and is in jail, penned up with Velma. Pikake has been out a lot lately, and this evening she was in the garden, had dug a dust bath while we were gone to dinner, and was eating my spinach. When I caught her with a net, closer inspection while clipping her wings showed me the egg yolk on her head. She's a BIG stinker!
They got to have all the arugula that was cut this morning, since they are in process of bolting and was a little bitter.
Did I say that yesterday I raked up all grass and coop shavings that the kids so happily mixed up. Hubby had been emptying the grass clippings in there, and I had raked out the bedding in the coop. Used it as mulch for the potatoes and onions. Some critter has been digging in the straw at night or early morning. Rat, or chipmunk? Maybe Sam will catch it.

@kurby22 , such a hard experience for sweet Aria to go through, but she will grow stronger through it. Glad you all got a break from the busyness to just enjoy the flock and family time.
Naughty Pikaka! 😆 She sounds like a character haha. I’m glad you reigned in the naughty, I hope you can break the egg eating habit! I really hope your digger is just a squirrel or chipmunk 🐿️!

Aria has just the softest heart, it’s really hard teaching her these lessons as gently as possible. I’ve talked to my therapist and she reassured me that teaching her these things in a safe and supportive environment will benefit her as she ages—since disappointment and sadness are unavoidable. So I’m trying to keep that perspective in mind. It’s hard for me too, as I can’t be 100% certain they will be treated as well somewhere else, but it’s part of chickening! ❤️

You must have quite a large patch to plant all that!
Not really! We have a quarter acre allotment and I do 3 sisters planting with the corn, squash and some of the beans we grow. I always grow too much as there are so many varieties I want to try alongside the varieties I know will grow well. I've got 6 kinds of squash this year, some of which are for summer use (early prolific crooknecks, white patty pan and Italian courgettes) and the others for winter (Turks Turban, Crown Prince and Blue Banana). Doing 3 types of corn (Swift, golden bantam and minipops). I always lose some corn to grasshoppers and the weather, hence the large number. And how could I resist a variety called "Golden Bantam"??? 😀 Only doing 4 different beans this year (Greek Gigantes, Black Knight, Lazy Housewife and Jacob's Cattle)
The gherkins have been out a few weeks now and doing well. They'll be inter-planted with some of the beans as I grow them up tall chicken wire to save space and keep them out of the mud. Nearly all my tomatoes, aubergine and cucumbers are in the polytunnel. The list of stuff in the allotment is endless...
The rest - chillies, lemongrass, ginger mainly - i grow at home. Well out of the reach of chickens and lemongrass obsessed cats 🤣

Hmmm, I don't know about the spruce needles, though. They are quite pokey, more so than fir or pines. They love any kind of dry dirt, and if you have a firepit, add some of the wood ash to the dirt.
I put rosemary, thyme, lavender and lemon balm in my dust bath. The girls (and boys) love it and it helps repel mites, lice and flies.

Ahhh, pork chops. I had them for supper tonight too! My barred rocks got some tonight. Only two left for tomorrow, and I'll share none of those with the chickens.
I'd have no option but to share - with Ferdy at least as he makes sure he's on my shoulder at dinner! I get a little face, with enquiring eye, poked into my face, clearly saying "where's mine?"

Who likes rhubarb? Found a new favorite treat, after not having it for years. Sliced rhubarb with agave syrup. Tastes like a granny Smith apple with low glycemic index/sugar. My neighbor let me pick some. Making a pie.takes a whole lot of sugar.
Absolutely LOVE it! I sweeten mine with either stevia leaves or Sweet Cecily. The Sweet Cecily gives it a slight fennel hit, which works really well.
Rhubarb is great savoury too with something like fresh mackerel or duck.

Not a fun day at our place today. I lost my all time favorite little hen over night most likely to a genetic problem. She was my little scissor beak baby that has been at my side every minute possible since she was a few weeks old. Last week I fell out on the apron to the carport and could not get up. My wife had forgot to turn on her WalkiTalkie and all I could do was call out to her and she couldn't hear me but Scissors came running. She sensed I was in trouble and started crying like I've never heard a chicken do. l finally crawled close enough to the house that my wife heard me and Scissors stayed right beside me until I was back inside. She will be missed as long as I live. I still have Cassidy (short for Hop-A-Long Cassidy) and Godiva (For Lady Godiva). Cassidy has a bad lower leg and runs normally to evade a rooster but has a funny walk when just getting from point A to point B. Godiva Looked like a Naked Neck instead of a White Giant when I found her. Both of those girls are on the mend quite well but may or may not return to there flockmates. Burying Scissors was a hard job.

After finding Scissors this morning I discovered a Bresse 6 month old pullet walking like a penguin. I had seen the thread about another member's pullet doing that and read that thread and went to town and got needed meds to treat her. Depending on the outcome will decide if she becomes a part of a pet flock. I've been treating a young Bresse cockerel for being abused by flockmate roosters since last night. He was in a deep shock when I found him during evening chores. Over all a rough 24 hours. Things have got to be better by tomorrow.
Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss! It's worse when you have a special bond like you clearly had with Scissors. I'm dreading the time I have to say goodbye to Ferdy. You are in my thoughts.
Are you OK after your fall?

I spent from 1:30 to 8:30 at the emergency vets yesterday. Little Goose tested positive for parvo. He was vomiting yesterday morning and didn't want food again. The cost for full treatment in a hospital was unfortunately too high. I did get everything I need to try treating him at home. So please all say a small prayer for the little guy. He's had his morning meds and I'm just waiting for an extra set of hands to help me administer this mornings IV.

On the bright side, our other dogs are all up to date on shots and older so should be safe. And even though I feel like a schmuck for thinking Friday was about the bloody toad, the vet said he's early in getting treatment by his symptoms so it's hopeful.

Chickens will have to make do with minimal care again today.
Poor little soldier! I've been super busy the last few days and have just caught up. I'm hoping he's holding his own as I've not read otherwise? He's in the best possible hands and if anyone can heal him, you can!
ALL my thoughts and prayers are with you all ❤

Back
Top Bottom