What did you do with your old hens that no longer lay eggs?

I like to let older hens sit on eggs, then when they hatch I sell them as a unit. That's if they're at all broody-prone (which some layers can be in their second and third years). Even buyers without a chick raising setup can be happy to buy a hen with chicks, and will often pay well for the package.

This is one very good reason why dual purpose birds can be better than straight layers. An egg-favouring dual purpose bird like a New Hampshire can be almost as productive as commercial layers but still go broody occasionally in later years. Incidentally, some layer-type birds will be more inclined to go broody if their weight is increased a little (by extra protein etc) beforehand.

Of course this probably doesn't help anyone on a suburban block. Fertile eggs can be hard to find cheaply if you don't have a rooster. Sorry about that.

I do put birds in the pot regularly, but a favorite hen is always special. I can totally understand not wanting to do it.

cheers
Erica

I have a small flock of "pets" with names within my laying flock. I will keep those for life. I have however made room in my flock for replacable layers. We have 3 "sets" of laying hens for customer eggs. One is my older hens(around 2 years old that aren't "PETS"), next is the pullets laying regularly in the first year...and each spring a set to start laying by winter.The older hens get butchered when the younger start laying.So, it kind of revolves a lot. I had to work in a system that would allow me to keep my favorites but still allow my customers access to eggs all year.I cannot afford to keep ALL older hens, it's just not economically possible.It's a harsh reality with all farm animals, I think.
How I WISH hens could just lay for life! Wouldn't that be great! It is hard to butcher some, but I always remember how much better our chickens have it before they die. They are happy, healthy, spoiled birds. That eases the conscience a lot.
Besides,I can no longer order fast food chicken or even buy processed chicken at all!....It's a mental thing
hu.gif

Now if I just had room for cows and pigs....
smile.png

ETA: I like Ericas thinking too...there's something to be said for a broody hen! But there again, she's paying her keep, and not free-loading....harsh, but true.

Last edited:
My girls are only two years old, but they all will have a home with me until their natural deaths. They are members of our family.

I like the idea of selling a broody with chicks! That would be much better for a child for Easter than a couple of chicks, I would think, especially if the hen is at all tame.

So far even my oldest hens (3 years) still lay, usually every other day I believe, but I get huge eggs from them. I doubt I will ever eat them, though extra roos (and mean pullets) do get eaten here. I had other flocks over the years, starting as a child in the north, and "the way it was done" was to buy chicks in early spring and have them all in the freezer by winter. I've learned a LOT about alternatives on BYC!

Hi I have rescued 12 chickens and they are great layers, But I have to be realistic , I am not a vegetarian but I don't think I can dispatch one. What is the quickest and if there is one less painful way to do this. If I cant how long do chickens live. Regards Toni

Oh please try and find someone that will keep them..they have given you lots of wonderful eggs and they should at least get to go to a good home to live for the rest of their life.

that's what I like to hear...distresses me when I get into one of these forums that discuss disposing of the chickens..mine are my little friends for life...they are good to me and I will return the favor to them..

Back
Top Bottom