What Did You Get Your Chickens For Christmas?

Barry Natchitoches

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Tennessee
It's Christmas Day.

What did you (or Santa) give your chickens for Christmas?

My birds are getting some nice, warm, chopped up boiled eggs, a pan full of alfalfa, and a big bowl of nice, warmed raw milk. My birds LOVE raw milk, and since it is actually SNOWING (well, snow flurries, anyway), I figure that they would prefer it slightly warmed.

I hung a large purple cabbage for the first time.... those 23 (7+ week olds) chicks devoured it! OMG! They had an absolute blast!
big_smile.png

I didn't get mine anything. Although, had I known it was going to snow since it hasn't snowed here since 1990, I would have gotten them all some snow shoes. They will not come out of the coop. They think it is a set up or something. They have never seen snow. It is hilarious. They are all piled up at the door looking out but are not, under any circumstances, coming out. I tossed scratch at them. Nope, still not coming out.
lau.gif
I, on the otherhand, have been out playing in it almost all day.

I didn't go to the store and buy them anything special, I just cleaned out the refrigerator last night and made a massively huge chicken bowl for them. It had to be done to make room for all of the food for Christmas. I gave it to them this morning (so it would be room temp. and not fridge temp) and they LOVED it! A huge smorgasboard of random everything from meat, veggies, breads, and fruits!!

They were in heaven!!

A 6 pound can of corn. My wife wanted to give them (all 16) the whole can...I said NO! They also got some waffle, scrambled eggs, and cat food, which they did not care for.

I stopped at the day-old bakery the other day and bought a whole bunch of 25 cent loaves of bread. Everybody (each pen of birds, not each bird!) got 2 loaves today, along with some collards (frozen but still perfectly good, just had to shake off the snow) and some apples from the garage that are starting to turn mealy but are still perfectly good.

I only give them bread once a week at most, because it's kind of junk food for them, IMO, especially the white. This is just the cheap mass market type stuff along the lines of Wonder, but a local brand.

Aloha & Merry Christmas to all!

I cooked rice with beef stock/ water and they gobbled it up like candy! All crops were filled to the brim! Now they are all preening and some are bathing while others are sleeping! LOL!!!

Back
Top Bottom