What did you like about raising chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BackyardFlock17, Jul 26, 2016.

1. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    What was your favorite part about raising chicks? Mine was taking care of them. No matter what went wrong. I'd use my time to help them.

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    My favourite part was watching the interaction between the chicks and their broody mum. I have a wonderful Old English Game bantam who loves being a mother, though just for 5 weeks, then she wants to get back to laying (for 6 weeks before going broody again)! I bring her indoors and she will happily hatch or adopt and let's us handle the chicks straight away. Their interactions are so sweet and funny. Even favourite treats are selflessly given to her chicks as she excitedly clucks like a mad chicken.

3. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    I second wat the thread starter says, it's just such a pleasure to be there for the chicks!

4. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I took over raising my latest chicks after a broody rejected them. I like how they imprinted on me and I am fascinated by how intelligent they are and how quickly they learn new things. Instead of watching the news which is distressing to me, I watch my chickens, it's much more relaxing.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    So true SueT. I asked our son the other morning if he wanted me to turn on the tv. He told me, "no, I want to watch the chicks". We have one that leaps out as soon as you lift the lid. She loves cuddles (despite being raised by a broody). So she's everyone's favourite!

6. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I love just taking care of those cute little fluffy monsters. The sound of them chirping and when the roosters crow in the morning just seem to make my day complete. I love the egg hunt daily and seeing them catching bugs and grasshoppers. People may think I'm crazy but the smell of the farm and livestock can't be bet.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    Right! The chicks are so fun to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by