What did you like about raising chicks?

BackyardFlock17

Chirping
Jul 7, 2016
What was your favorite part about raising chicks? Mine was taking care of them. No matter what went wrong. I'd use my time to help them.

JaeG

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
My favourite part was watching the interaction between the chicks and their broody mum. I have a wonderful Old English Game bantam who loves being a mother, though just for 5 weeks, then she wants to get back to laying (for 6 weeks before going broody again)! I bring her indoors and she will happily hatch or adopt and let's us handle the chicks straight away. Their interactions are so sweet and funny. Even favourite treats are selflessly given to her chicks as she excitedly clucks like a mad chicken.

SueT

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 27, 2015
SW MO
I took over raising my latest chicks after a broody rejected them. I like how they imprinted on me and I am fascinated by how intelligent they are and how quickly they learn new things. Instead of watching the news which is distressing to me, I watch my chickens, it's much more relaxing.....

JaeG

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
So true SueT. I asked our son the other morning if he wanted me to turn on the tv. He told me, "no, I want to watch the chicks". We have one that leaps out as soon as you lift the lid. She loves cuddles (despite being raised by a broody). So she's everyone's favourite!

Choco Maran

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Ribera New Mexico
I love just taking care of those cute little fluffy monsters. The sound of them chirping and when the roosters crow in the morning just seem to make my day complete. I love the egg hunt daily and seeing them catching bugs and grasshoppers. People may think I'm crazy but the smell of the farm and livestock can't be bet.

Last edited:

Top Bottom