What did your chickens do today?

I know - love my hens too, they are pretty entertaining :) The new chicks are a buff orph, barred rock & mystery chick. The mystery chick was dumped at a local high school in a plastic container - pretty cruel - left in the rain to die pretty much. When it was brought to me & we decided to take it in I went to the local feed store & got it a couple buddies. I was being good this year & not going to add to the flock - look how that turned out
lau.gif
My golden sexlink had the twist in her tail - lol. Don't know if she was excited or irritated but she ran around singing her little head off for about an hour. She has fostered chicks before so the peeping might have gotten her excited. My BCM hen can be a little unfriendly - she didn't seem overly joyful that there were newbies in the coop area. The other hens didn't react.

A pic of the 1st day we got them.
Your mystery chick looks like my black jersey giant and/ black sex link did as chicks. just my guess.

My chicken are pets for my children. I looked in the backyard and my 5 year old was going down the slide with the rooster! Poor thing. They are safely foraging in the grass while the kids moved on to a lemonade stand.

My 2 week olds tried to make their first escape from the brooder box today. We have 2 boxes hooked together one tall and one short and the low side has their feeder and water in it, When I had the screen off the top to clean their water they decided it was a great time to jump from the roost, to the feeder and to the ledge of the box. Of course the first to test it out was the tiny Black Sex Link, Onyxia, she's trying to make up for being the smallest of the 4 so she's causing the most trouble. The most curious is my EE, Eleanore, she's always eyeing up the edge of the box whenever the lid comes off so she was right behind Ony for some mischief making. Luckily I was able to scoot them back into the box before the great escape was complete. Guess there's no more turning my back for a second while the lid is off.

What have my chickens done today other than question my sanity? HAHA

Lets see "helped" me clean their room and by helped I mean double the work, I would get a pile swept up and turn to grab the dust pan and they would have it scattered.

My white leghorn Ms. Prissy flew up to my shoulder and groomed my hair while I cleaned the room.

Red my RIR pooped on my bed...again.

My cowardly roo Courage tried pinning one of my Cornish Rock X down but she just did what I call the Nuggy Smash it is similar to the Hulk Smash.

Had to give Marilyn the sultan a bath because she won't quit walking under the others while they are on the roost.

My chicks in the brooder found out they can fly and one gave me a mini heart attack by hiding under Nugget/Nuggy.

Rock Star helped me make a salad and when I say helped he knocked it out of my hands and served the flock for me.

Never a dull moment with them.
lau.gif
LOL!!! Sounds like you had a very chicken orientated day today!
My chickens were turffed out of the coop at about 9.30 am. Counted and checked as every morning Isobella, Caroline and Mable fight to get out of the door first. They are all squashed up in the doorway and no- one can get out untill I grab and pull whatever is poking out furthest! Then comes Betty who is really gentle after that come the Runts ( Bottom of the pecking order hens) - Flourence and Agnes, Aggy is last as always chased out by my head hen Gerty. Gerty is a wee tyrant - she always counts them in and counts them out and NEVER goes in first or out first but you sure know she is the boss! Once everyone is out Gerty checks the line up and promptly takes charge of the food and water! She usually pecks at Isobella and Caroline to put them in their place! They are her wingmen weve always seemed ot have two birds who are second in command jointly here. This year it is deffinately Gertys best mates Isobella and Caroline. Last year it was totally different as Bertha was lead hen then alongside Gerty her sister was Isobella but sadly Bertha died and so the dynamics of the group have been reshapen this last while. They all go out in the sun and start to find bugs and dig up the yard! They are in a closed in area which they think is Free range but is in fact controlled to prevent stray Australians arriving from the holes they are digging in the yard! Still they are determined to find the foundations of the house? After that they all fight to get back in the coop to lay! They all end up stuck in the doorway again squlking until I have to push them inside with my boot! -
lol.png
Having been squished in this way it is usual that they lay very quickly and all pay their rent in full on time! NOT!
Of course once rent is paid treat time comes and they get lettice and strawberry ends and meal worm salad - sometimes it is bread and yogurt or porridge and rasins. Today is bug salad - Issobella is impatient and flies up to my hand and so the contents of my dish fly all over the run and Issobella is left perched on my hand with nothing to eat while all the others rush about grabbing her share! She twigs on and just about gets down in time to grab the scraps? Stupid girl and they say chickens can't fly? She is the one who always manages to peck at the study window which is on the second floor of the house? Now all the excitement is over they rush for their favourite holes and dive into them - only they all seem to have favoured the one hole! Agnes is of course on the bottom and ends up flat with her feet sticking out at an odd angle - so I grab and pull and release her from the mob! She finds her own "Safe spot" and then Florry decides to flatten her sister again. It starts to rain and they all dive for cover - lucky for them DH managed to rig up a cover over the feed and water store so they stay in there eating for best part of the evening. At 9.30 pm I go out to find they are stuck in the door having tried to put themselves to bed so I gently push my boot up the rear of the last hen and hear a pop as they all fall into the coop the other side. I snap the door shut before they all can decide to come back out again. Then I go round and check the egg box. Gerty is muttering to herself something like - Darn I thought there were eggs left here this morning??? Where are the things???? As she is looking all over for them! She eventually gives up and comes for a sneeky cuddle before she settles herself into the egg box to sleep - she never roosts now and has not done so since Bertha died in February - this is her place on the nest box close to the egg laying where once her sister would always sleep and had raised her own chicks. Gerty is the boss and she is in her place from here she can see all!!!!!! Except where those darn eggs went this morning???
D.gif

Oes
Great story, thanks! Sounds like a nice day and a great flock!
You should get a picture of them all squished up.LOL.

Back
Top Bottom