What diseases can ducks catch from chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by boykin2010, Oct 15, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i am about to cull my whole flock of chickens because they have a CRD going around and there is no way i can treat them all forever. The medicine isnt helping. I really dont want to cull the ducks but Do ducks catch diseases like CRD? Is there any need to cull them?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If treatment isnt helping you need to look at some other possible stress factors in the flock. Can you separate the sick from the well birds before culling them all? If not- dont forgot to totally clean and sterile the coop and areas they frequent to avoid the next chickens you get also becoming ill.

Ducks can suffer from respiratory problems, but being hardier than chickens- they are less likely to be effected.

http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPages/MCAS-7LB83C?open

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Over in the goose thread there has been a post about a gander who caught Mycoplasma gallisepticum from being housed with chickens.
    What duckyfromz said is correct separate sick from those showing no symptoms. And I wish you the best in dealing with this. By the way the gander is recovering. [​IMG]

5. Lee Ann Lynn

Lee Ann Lynn Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Ducks and geese can get Mycoplasma gallisepticum from chickens when kept in the same coop but the chances of them getting any respiratory diseases from them when not cooped with them is small. What are you treating your chickens with. If and when which is rare my chickens get something I use Tylan 500 along with VetRX on the beaks, combs and wattles and on the feet of chickens being treated. I use ACV w/mother in the water also. My chickens always got well. I am no longer treating to produce resistance in my flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by