What do clear, watery, saliva looking droppings mean? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Since your chickens are behaving normally, I would attribute the watery clear poop to warm weather. How hot has hot been getting there?

I haven't heard of clear, watery poop associated with coccidiosis, but it can be associated with kidney failure, usually caused by a diet abnormally high in protein. Your chickens wouldn't be behaving normally if they were in kidney failure.

It really doesn’t get particularly hot here as I mentioned earlier. Mid to high 70’s. Maybe low 80’s at most. Pretty mild temperatures overall.

And yes, because their behavior and appetites seem normal, I would assume that these clear droppings may be nothing to worry about. However we are always reminded that chickens can hide their sickness extremely well. Figured I should check in with all of the awesome BYC peeps on this forum to get opinions on the strange clear droppings I’ve been seeing from the littles the last few days.

I too have a hen (year and half old) going through a molt who has clear watery stools also. She started with loose green stools, with the odd watery milky stools but noted today clear watery stools.

She is not eating much, and generally doesn't look/act properly, she seems miserable, and looks like crap missing all her feathers.

She was fine till she started molting, she lost so many feathers.... I am going to
check with my Vet tomorrow but thought someone might have some insight...

Some hens molt hard and are miserable. They don't feel like eating. They lose weight. They may need extra care and special feeding. High protein foods help these hard molters. Any hen that is very slow and maybe has green poop, give her warm sugar water, followed by boiled or scrambled egg. Poultry Nutri-drench is a good thing to have on hand for such hens to boost their nutritional reserves.

Update:

I have not been able to post a picture of the clear, saliva looking droppings because I actually haven’t seen any more since the day I posted this thread. (Of course, lol.) 🙄 But, that’s a good thing- I’m glad I haven’t seen them. I’m still not sure what they mean or what caused them.

Some hens molt hard and are miserable. They don't feel like eating. They lose weight. They may need extra care and special feeding. High protein foods help these hard molters. Any hen that is very slow and maybe has green poop, give her warm sugar water, followed by boiled or scrambled egg. Poultry Nutri-drench is a good thing to have on hand for such hens to boost their nutritional reserves.
How do u get the sugar water into the hen if they won't take it? Also the Nutri-drench, do u place drops in hens beak?

I see on the instructions for the nutri drench to put X amt in the waterers.... But I don't want to waste it, right now it's chilly and the hens are not drinking much. So if I am changing water daily just wasting it

Plug in your imagination. Think like a chicken. What could you put the Nutri-drench on that a chicken would gobble right up. Maybe..... a bite of bread? As for the sugar water, dip her beak in it and when she tastes it and discovers it's sweet, she'll drink it.

You should have an oral syringe in your chicken first aid kit in case you need to give fluids to a chicken. Most pharmacies give them away free if you ask. This is how you do it.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom